Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest blood results

+3
Jasmine2
Johnny1967
Lucycatnaps
7 posters

Go down

Latest blood results Empty Latest blood results

Post by Lucycatnaps Mon May 12, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi folks,
I had another set of bloods taken last Tuesday at my GP's and the nurse advised me to call in for a print out today, so that I would have them to hand for my first endo appointment tomorrow.  I thought that I was feeling a little better the last couple of weeks, the thirst was not so pronounced.  However the lump on my neck has been a little tender and my oral lesions are flaring up again (I am sure low Vit D levels are the trigger). I am getting indigestion symptoms  and am feeling more wibble wobble in my mind, I think it is nerves about tomorrow.
Anyway my calcium is 2.75 mmol/L and the corrected is also 2.75mmol/L range (2.2 - 2.6)
PTH is within normal range again  3.2pmol/L  range (1.3 - 6.8 ) New PTH method (Immulite) and ref range in use from 14 Feb.
It also says my serum globulin is above range at 36 g/L (20.0 - 34.0) from LFT. Tests. 
Does anyone know what this means??  I think it was the same last time.
They also did Thyroid tests
TSH 1.1mU/L (0.35 - 4.94)
Free T4  13.0pmol/L (9.0 - 19.1)

So I guess with the PTH being within normal a second time it will be harder to get a diagnosis.   I have spent all afternoon writing down stuff so that I do not forget anything.  I am not at my best first thing in the mornings!

I decided to ring the rheumatology secretary this morning rather than the appts clerk re my clashing of appts, she was lovely and told me to go to my endo appt first and then go on to my rheumie appt afterwards.  She will leave a message saying I will be late but said I may have to wait a bit but as this is an extra clinic he will see me, otherwise it will be a couple more months until they can see me.
Take care everyone,
Sue
Lucycatnaps
Lucycatnaps

Back to top Go down

Latest blood results Empty Re: Latest blood results

Post by Johnny1967 Mon May 12, 2014 7:01 pm

I think your ca/pth are still very likely PHPT. There's an idea that pth samples degrade quickly, so if not done at labsite or late in day then they will be lower. Dr Norman says that a significant group of his patients have results like yours. Will be a hard sell in the UK but maybe not impossible. I think some of the members here have had similar results. Sure you have looked at the Norman site but check again.

Looks like the received wisdom is to run the results by a surgeon to cut out the endo nonsense. The members here will give you some names. If the surgeon you approach has had success with similar numbers you're in.

All the best.

Johnny1967

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 Mon May 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Good luck for tomorrow Sue!  In my opinion, with a corrected calcium that high your PTH should be way lower if everything was working normally, so I would say even though in range it's still inappropriately high.

LFT is liver function as I recall (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) which is often raised in PHPT.

Keep us posted on how it all goes.  You're going to have a busy morning!

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucycatnaps Mon May 12, 2014 7:42 pm

Thank you both for your replies,
Johnny, now that jogged my memory and I do recall reading that the PTH can degrade.  Our surgery always takes bloods at lunchtime, 12.30pm, mine were taken at the same time yet the print outs show request receipt issued 6 May 18.50 and 19.20.   Arrived 21.13.
However the PTH print out states Request Receipt issued 7 May 19.20
Arrived 7 May 23.46

I wonder if they are the times the tests are run at the hospital??  Maybe the PTH got left at the back of the fridge !  I will ask tomorrow.

Thanks Jasmine for your support and everyone, it really is appreciated, I do get my knickers in a twist sometimes and you all humble me when you have all been through so much, sooo off to hunt my armour, bet it is a bit tarnished but hope it still fits Smile
Sue
Lucycatnaps
Lucycatnaps

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Mon May 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Sue 
Good luck for your appts tomorrow. Sending you best wishes. With calcium that high PTH is inappropriately raised.
Love Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Tue May 13, 2014 1:48 am

Yes, I agree with everyone else, with your calcium that high, the PTH should probably be much lower. I always have to convert your UK numbers to US numbers so I can better determine this, and if I did it correctly, your calcium was 11.0, and your PTH was 30.2. I am 6 months post-op now, and my last PTH was 31.7, but my calcium was 10.2. Your calcium is quite a bit higher than mine, so your PTH should be quite a bit lower than mine, and they are practically identical. I do believe a diagnosis is on the horizon for you! That is, if you can find a doctor or surgeon who truly understands this disease. My doctors continually told me my levels weren't high enough. Even when my calcium reached 10.7, and if I'm not mistaken, my PTH was 65.2! I told them they wrong. I finally gave up on all 3 of my doctors here and contacted Dr. Norman.

Yes, Jasmine LFT is liver function test. My liver enzymes were also raised for a few years while I was dealing with HPT. They are perfectly normal now. I do remember reading that high calcium causes the liver to absorb and retain too much fat, which is why many of us are diagnosed with a fatty liver. I am very anxious to see if my enzymes stay in the normal range now. I am also curious to know if my liver would still look fatty with an ultrasound. I'm sure it takes time for the liver to normalize after surgery, but at least my enzymes are normal now.

Good luck with the appointments, Sue!!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by pilipala Fri May 16, 2014 1:00 pm

Dear Sue,

Really hope your appointment went well and they recognised your PTH is inappropiate. Did you find out anything about your sample and the time of testing?

I'm in South Wales and the PTH test here was changed around the same time. There's a note on my latest results saying "Please note change of PTH assay and reference range: PTH concentrations are 40-50% lower than the previous method".

Also my bloods were taken around 11.30am on the Monday, but the test results are listed at 9.19am on the Wednesday. If the new machine automatically uploads results onto the system then that's a delay of nearly 48hrs. I've been in contact with the lab to try and clarify things but with little progress.

I wouldn't mind but the result is much lower than all my previous results and I'm worried the endo will use them to claim there is no problem despite the fact my symptons continue.

Anyone else had a change in PTH test recently?

Dee

pilipala

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Fri May 16, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi Dee

That's very interesting.

I have PTH results from West Suffolk Hospital that are almost 50% higher than those I get from Addenbrookes a day or so after (fasting, same time in morning etc) and that would explain the difference.

Thanks for posting this, if this is correct in my case, then that's another mystery solved!!

Love Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down