Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help a damsel in distress!

3 posters

Go down

help a damsel in distress! Empty help a damsel in distress!

Post by deanna69 Tue May 13, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi everyone just wondering if you can help me I have requested a print out of some blood tests I had a couple of months ago as I am due to see the endocrinologist next week for what I think will be a diagnosis of Hashis. However when I read my parathyroid hormone level it was 10.8 with the word HI next to it but my Gp has not even mentioned this! My symptoms are fatigue especially in the afternoons disturbed sleeping patterns in which I can have insomnia for 3-4 days then sleep the clock round. A general feeling of not being well but not feeling ill and no concentration at all amongst a host of other things including arrhythmias and my family telling me I am a miserable bitch! Will the endocrinologist look at my parathyroid levels as well as my off the scale peroxidase antibody results (820) and vit D3 is 14.nmol/L

deanna69

Back to top Go down

help a damsel in distress! Empty Re: help a damsel in distress!

Post by Hadleigh Tue May 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

Your VitD is looking very very low, has your GP mentioned this ? I saw (from the HU site ) that your calcium is low end of normal so I'm thinking your PTH is high in response to the low calcium and VitD, this is how it works.

Positive TPO levels do indicate an autoimmune thyroid problem but that doesn't mean you can't have PTH disease as well but as your calcium and VitD are low PTH may normalise once they have been treated.

Your Endo should be looking at all your results but many are not experienced with parathyroid problems so don't be surprised if he/she isn't much help. With your VitD that low you should be prescribed a good D3 supplement so do ask for that if it is not offered and then you will need to keep an eye on your levels over the coming months, calcium, PTH and VitD. 

I'm sure others will be along to add their thoughts so do keep reading and asking, we are all here to help.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by deanna69 Tue May 13, 2014 9:59 pm

Thanks for the reply my gp was reluctant to do anything except refer me but he conceded and gave my a useless dose of 800 units of futilium to be going on with I do get confused as the results of my calcium state they are all within range 2.2-2.6 my corrected calcium level is 2.29 so does this mean I would need a calcium supplement? I am seeing a prof.Clayton at the university hospital of North Staffordshire does anyone know of him and his work or have any experience of being treated by him?
Thank you nelly x

deanna69

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Tue May 13, 2014 10:37 pm

I think your GP is very sensible to refer you, I expect he knows this is beyond his expertise so referring now is the best option for you.

Fultium 800iu is actually a good dose to start on as it gives you time to see if VitD supps suit you (many including me can't tolerate any D3 supps) and also you want to see how your levels increase on that dose rather than blasting you with a very high dose which maybe too much for you. The dose can be increased if needs be in the coming weeks but it does take several months for levels to increase.

Your calcium is in range but at the low end, you may be given a combined calcium/VitD supplement but they are sometimes not the best for getting VitD up, a straight VitD3 like Fultium is usually better.

I just had a look at Prof Clayton's profile, he seems to deal with most endocrine problems so looks like a good choice, although he doesn't specify parathyroid I wouldn't worry too much about that just yet, he does list calcium problems so see what he says and go from there. If he's good then do let us know as we would like to create a list of recommended doctors.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by deanna69 Tue May 13, 2014 10:42 pm

Thanks again yes I have an appointment on the 20th May so I can report back on the consultation I assume more tests will be required as the last lot of bloods were taken at the beginning of March to be honest I just want to start feeling normal again whatever the diagnosis maybe I am fed up of hearing myself moaning all the time so I reckon everyone else around me is too!

deanna69

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Tue May 13, 2014 10:57 pm

Deanna you are welcome to have a moan on here whenever you like Smile, quite a few of us also have thyroid probs so we can chat about that as well if you feel the need anytime.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by lozza Thu May 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi Denna,
Welcome to the forum, sound like the consultant you are seeing know there stuff and will want to look at the whole endocrine picture.
 glad to hear that you have an appointment soon.

keep us posted

best wishes

Lozza Very Happy

lozza

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum