Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hypothyroid & bursitis

+3
Lucycatnaps
Hadleigh
Amanda Lynne
7 posters

Go down

Hypothyroid & bursitis  Empty Hypothyroid & bursitis

Post by Amanda Lynne Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:33 am

Hi All
After my visit to consultant re non visible non bulging hernia (s) where he said he couldn't see or feel anything and said US no good. New US and appointment I'm now awaiting. It made me think what else could cause groin pain in both sides and hip pain ? That's if there are no hernias (I'm beginning to question this myself as there is no lump at all. I'm not sure if radiographer was right or wrong)
Because there has been a query over me being hypothyroid I did a bit of research and apparently hypothyroid can cause something called bursitis which can present in groin/hip area and sounds like what I'm experiencing.
Any thoughts anyone ? You wisdom would be really appreciated, thanks.
Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Hypothyroid & bursitis  Empty Re: Hypothyroid & bursitis

Post by Hadleigh Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:56 am

Morning Amanda

You might be on to something there, I have just had a google and it seems hip/groin pain is quite common in people who have Fibromyalgia which is also linked to hypothyroidism. Maybe have a look through some threads on a Fibro forum, I know Healthunlocked site have one.
It's very common for Dr's to diagnose Fibro before Hypo, they tend to be a bit blinkered about Hypo and can be slow to make the diagnosis.
I get really bad back pain which sometimes affects my hips and legs so I may be in the same boat ! think I might do some more research on that  Rolling Eyes 

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucycatnaps Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi Amanda,
I am not sure if any of the following is any use but I went through a similar experience.  I am hypothyroid and also at 58 am having a very late menopause.  Please excuse my mush of a brain but I was sent to the gynae people for investigation of rt groin pain, rt sided abdominal pain.  At the time I had a mirena coil to control the heavy bleeding and I was convinced this was causing me to have ovarian cysts.  I had never had them before the Mirena and then wham 2 in two years.  He denied Mirena was the cause and diagnosed a hernia but being the NHS said he could not refer me to a surgeon but to go back to GP for referral.  Gp and I decided together it was not a hernia after U/S showed another ovarian cyst. It was watch and wait and 6 months later it had gone and I had the Mirena removed as developed a womb infection.  I have never had another cyst since it was removed.  I continued to have burning groin pain but finally narrowed it down to my R hip.  I developed bursitis in it which did ease but my walking on it drastically reduced over 2 years as I limped so much until I had it replaced last year.  The other interesting thing was my limp actually made my bad leg a full inch longer by surgery time, the muscles wasted in buttock and my pelvis became tilted which caused the sciatica to start.  By surgery the pain had shifted from groin to my back. After my THR I was in a state as I could not match my knees together ( one looked 2" longer ) felt my my new hip and leg was way to long, however over the next few months my pelvis realigned, my knees matched, the back pain went and then ................. I got ?PHPT
Hope this may help a bit
Sue in Lincs
Lucycatnaps
Lucycatnaps

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucycatnaps Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Ps My bursitis was caused by going on a 5 mile walk and it totally siezed up, stranded half way along a river footpath, had to hobble hop limp all the way back to car! Rheumy wanted to give me a steroid inject but as I was on my own for appt he would not do it, Ortho then told me steroid injection into hip was not recommended, go figure.
Anyway new hip now and its been brilliant.
Sue in Lincs
Lucycatnaps
Lucycatnaps

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Wow Sue, you've really been through the mill! Sorry to hear that.  And then the 'piece de resistance' in getting PHPT?  That sucks....!

Amanda, sincerely hope you get to the bottom of it all.  Not long now til your endo appointment.  At least you're in the right month at long last! Keeeeeep smiling ........!

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi Nelly, Sue, Jasmine
Thanks for all your advice and support. They've checked for cysts and nothing apparent so I don't know. Yes I'm getting nearer my appointment woo hoo I just have a horrible feeling that they will say it's not PTH so I'm a bit concerned.
Jasmine when talking about hernia problems I love the fact that you said, hope they get to the BOTTOM of it Razz it made me laugh.
Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Haha, wondered if you'd get it..... hence the keep smiling comment.  What's life without a larf .......! Did anyone else read John Lennon 's book eons ago about Araminta Dint who kept larfing and larfing and larfing ......? Showing my age now....... lol!
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:50 pm

No I have no idea what you are talking about. Shocked Very Happy Xxxxxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:03 pm

Nor have I most of the time ..... and I've had two surgeries n still got HPT brain..... scratch  Deep sigh... Sad
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:55 am

How are you doing re the whole PTH and second surgery, I've been very concerned about you, especially when we didn't hear from you.
I know you've been through so much.
Amanda Xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:11 am

Aww thanks Amanda for thinking of me, especially when you're dealing with so much crap yourself right now. Yes, I've been through a phase where I've felt quiet and reflective and not been in much of a mood for engaging with the world....persistent HPT can't be ar*ed syndrome? I sincerely hope not .....  Shocked  I've been in a bit of a state of shock since getting the news that my levels haven't returned to normal for the SECOND time now, and it knocked me for six a bit, so I retired to a dark corner for a few weeks to lick my wounds.... but I'm back now, still feeling rubbish, but with a change of mindset, ready to fight on if I have to!  I'm seeing my endo again tomorrow for follow up so I guess I'll know more what I'm dealing with in a week or two after he's done his tests.  If it turns out I still have persistent PHPT then my next move will probably be a trip to Haiti for a spot of witchdoctor's bone rattle shaking....eye of toad, ear of newt.....what have I got to lose....?   Laughing
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:30 am

Bless you Jasmine you really don't deserve all of this. I thought you had found the answer Crying or Very sad 
I know you will keep up that fight if it isn't sorted and I'm right behind you all the way. Let us know how you get on.
Love Amanda Xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Well, I have no idea how I missed this entire thread! Talk about still having an HPT brain!!!  Sleep 

Nelly, it seems here in the US, the doctors diagnose EVERYTHING as fibromyalgia! All a person has to do is make an appointment, complain of being tired and achy, and BOOM, they are diagnosed with fibromyalgia! I myself was diagnosed with fibro 33 years ago when I had a severe allergic reaction to a wood stain I was using, that left me practically crippled for many years. I broke out in hives from head to toe, which I had never done before in my life, and I never have since. Then every joint in my body (including my jaw and spine) swelled up, was red and hot, and felt like railroad spikes were being driven into them. It was terribly painful, to the point that some of my joints simply could not move for months. The doctors said it looked like a severe allergic reaction to something, and they diagnosed it as fibromyalgia. That is NOT fibromyalgia! That pain lasted about 30 years. It very gradually diminished. I now know of at least 30 people who have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, including 3 cousins, 2 sisters-in-law, 2 neighbors, and many other good friends. I can guarantee you they are not feeling what I felt for so many years, if their muscles are just aching. And I am not saying they are not suffering. I'm sure they are! One of my sisters-in-law and I were discussing this 1 day. When I told her what my pain felt like, she said, "Oh, my goodness, you must have it much worse than me. I don't have any pain with mine." ????? This is why I feel the doctors here are going crazy with the fibro diagnoses. If this many people actually do have the same disorder, which to me seems very unlikely, I think it's time we do some serious research and find a cure! I do not personally know 30 people with any other particular disease. It is strange that I know so many with fibro.

Jasmine, you are a true inspiration to us all! It is very understandable why you would feel the need to go through the quiet spells. I have done so myself. Sometimes we just don't feel like talking to anyone, even though everyone on here has been so wonderfully supportive and understanding. You amaze me how you keep moving forward after all you've been through! My hat is off to you, dear friend!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Yes, Jasmine - when you are ready to post on your endo appointment, we are ready to hear from you.
I hope you get some answers, I really do.

Love Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:53 pm

Awww shucks Audrey, I'm all embarrassed now ..... Wink we're all inspirational, each and every one of us who has to put up with this crappy disease, the crap we take from the medics, for refusing to sit back and take the crap they dish out (that's a lot of crap .....) and for steadfastly supporting each other even when we're feeling rubbish ourselves.

Tigerlily, I already did post about it last night, you've probably unwittingly passed by it.  It has rendered me confused.com

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:40 pm

Yes, I guess we all have been through Hell with everything, haven't we? Sometimes I wonder how I'm going to get through another day, and I know you all feel that way too. Don't know what I'd do without you all, and you know I'll always be here to lend an ear and a shoulder when needed.

March on, soldiers!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele2 Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi All,

Not to dismiss all the horrible symptoms many are having...hope you feel better soon..but I just wanted to answer the main question.

I thought my hip pain, esp right near the joints to my legs, was caused from osteoporosis.
My endo told me that osteo doesn't cause the pain but that the HPT does. He says that's the culprit.
I'll have to ask him to pin down why it causes hip pain. He's not exactly forthcoming when questioned.

Adele

Adele2

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:09 am

Hmm.......I know HPT can cause bone pain, Adele.   That is from the body taking calcium from the bones.  I myself had pain in my forearms and my shins.   I still have some slight pain in my shins intermittently.   I would think maybe that is  why you are having pain near your joints.   I don't know for sure, but it makes sense to me.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele2 Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:17 am

Thanks Audrey. I know I'm feeling bone pain, and I know from reading other members stories that they feel it too.
But when I questioned my GP and endo, they said that the bone loss is osteoporosis, and that osteo isn't painful. The endo then added, that the pain is caused from HPT.
So I'm confused. Guess I need to ask more questions.

Adele2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down