Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post-op Muscle Weakness

3 posters

Go down

Post-op Muscle Weakness Empty Post-op Muscle Weakness

Post by Little Audrey Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Thought I'd start a new thread for this subject. I was wondering if anybody out there has had severely weakened muscles post-op? This symptom is really scaring me. As you all know, I've been dealing with nonstop muscle twitches all over my body for the past several months post-op, but I have heard of other people going through this after parathyroid surgery. I have not heard of anyone suffering from extremely weakened arm and leg muscles post-op. Just wondering.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post-op Muscle Weakness Empty Re: Post-op Muscle Weakness

Post by Jasmine2 Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Hi Audrey

I have a degree of weakness in my upper arms, but then I had that pre-op too so not sure how relevant that is; my muscle problems are mostly pain and cramping.

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks for your input, Jasmine. I'm so sorry you're dealing with muscle issues too. I'm sorry you're dealing with ALL of the crap you are!

Before my surgery I had (and still do have) a lot of stiffness and pain in my neck, upper arms, and thighs. Not really any weakness, just terrible stiffness and pain. I had a lot of muscle cramping before surgery, and it was much worse for several months after surgery. That has calmed down quite a bit now. I only cramp up badly when I try taking a diuretic for my edema. So instead of dealing with cramps, I continue looking like a little blow fish! I had nonstop eyelid twitches for 6 or 7 months at a time before surgery, that would stop for a week or 2 and then start up again for several months. Four months post-op I started twitching all over my body. Like I mentioned earlier, I have heard of others dealing with muscle twitches after surgery, but it is the muscle weakness that has me worried now. Also, my hands have been tingling for several months. Most would think that would be from low calcium. My post-op calcium levels have been 10.2, 10.0, 10.2, and 9.9, so I don't think that is my problem. Oh, geez, I'm such a mess!! How did my body get so screwed up?! I was healthy 1 day and then all went to #@!!.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucycatnaps Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:14 am

Hi Audrey,
It is just a thought and maybe you have looked into this before but have you had magnesium levels checked??  Low levels can cause muscle cramps and weakness and twitches, also headaches.  There is lots of info if you google magnesium.  I just thought it might be of use to you.
Hugs Sue
Lucycatnaps
Lucycatnaps

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:42 am

Thanks, Sue, yes, we have been keeping an eye on my magnesium. I had taken magnesium on and off during the 3 years I was trying to get diagnosed. When the muscle cramps got really bad after surgery, I started taking it again. Then I read that too much magnesium can actually cause cramping, which made no sense to me, but I quit taking it anyway for fear I was making matters worse. When my level was found to be low/normal with my last bloodwork, I started taking it again. I just noticed today that my endo has ordered my magnesium to be checked again with my next bloodwork, and I am due to go for this any day now. I was going to wait to see if my PA would order the testing for Lyme disease, and then I was going to get it all done at once, but they never returned my call today. I just had blood drawn last Thursday, and I only have 1 really good vein for this, so I'm not so sure I want to go back again so soon. Last year at 1 of my regular blood draws for calcium, PTH, and a few other things, they didn't draw enough blood. They called me that night and wanted to know if I could come back in the next day. I did. That was the most painful blood draw I have ever experienced! I had my blood drawn every month or 2 for 3 years trying to get diagnosed. I was very used to the procedure. It was second nature to me. I am a tough customer. They call me The Triple Threat at the hospital. My veins are small, deep, and crooked. I am used to being poked at and having that needle moved back and forth, up and down, in and out, and all around until they can find my 1 good vein. I don't enjoy that, but it's not usually painful. Well, this particular day, it was TERRIBLY painful!! I had to tell her to stop and try the other arm! They finally had to draw from my wrist. It was not a good day! So I am always afraid now to go too soon for more bloodwork. If I had more good veins, I wouldn't hesitate. So I'm not sure when I'll be going to get my magnesium tested again, but it will be soon. I am anxious now to see where my level is now that I've been taking the supplements for a while.

Thank you for the suggestion.  Smile 

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down