Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use http://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Pseudo gout

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pseudo gout

Post by Jasmine2 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:05 pm

For about a week now (this time) I've had real problems with my right knee; stiff, painful, swollen, weakened with a tendency to give way on me if I'm not careful, and it's a struggle to walk very well.  I've had episodes like this before and just put it down to the usual joint problems of hyperparathyroid disease, but I'm thinking it might be pseudo gout, which is calcium crystals forming in the cartilage around joints if I'm not mistaken. I think the official term for it is chondrocalcinosis.  I'm having to use a walking stick for support because, as I say, it keeps giving way and I fall over.  Has anyone else experienced this or been diagnosed with pseudo gout? The pain is at the inside of my knee just left of the patella space.

I've made an appointment with my (idiot) GP for Friday and I'm going to ask him for an X-ray to look for signs of chondrocalcinosis in my knee, and also an X-ray of my hands while we're at it as the middle phalanges of my fingers are markedly thinning, even Mr P agreed when I showed him, and I want them x rayed for subperiosteal bone resorption.  Mr P looked at the hand images I showed him (thank you Tigerlily) and said that's how they used to diagnose pHPT in the 'olden' days before they were able to measure calcium and intact PTH.

Oh, and I had my blood test this morning for the CaSR genetic testing - only another three months to wait! In the meantime, I've kicked myself out of poor me mode and into up and at 'em mode and I'm going to squeeze every test possible out of my GP and the endocrinologist (following in Tigerlily's footsteps to become a test junkie/treatment tart!) to prove pHPT beyond a doubt, even in the presence of FHH if it is confirmed (yes Mr P, I know how rare it is to have both .....!).  Got my HPT warrior's armour back on ........!

Jasmine x
Jasmine2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pseudo gout

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Looks like magnesium may relieve symptoms of pseudo gout:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chondrocalcinosis

I get real gout, so I have great sympathy for you. 

Edwin
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Thanks for the link Edwin, and I've been thinking for a while now about trying a magnesium supplement. Think I'll give it a go ...... Can you get it in Holland and Barrett or similar, or do you have to have it prescribed?  Yes, it's bloomin' painful - sorry to hear you suffer with the real thing, it's no flippin' picnic is it?

Jasmine x
Jasmine2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi209 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:38 pm

Oh Jasmine that reminds me that in FHH  I read where you have hyper magnesium  and in primary its low or normal. Just wanted you to know in case doc orders a blood test for mag. Supplement may skew the test. I know when we are pain we will try everything and I have heard good thing about magnesium. Glad you have you warrior armor on, go get um.

Kathi209

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Thanks for that Kathi, good thinking that woman!  Yes, you're right, it might be as well to hold off supplementing magnesium until I've had the full work up.  Added that to my list now of test requests!

Jasmine x
Jasmine2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:03 pm

Just to let you know, Jasmine, that I have a little knee pain and, yes, it's on the inside of the knee as well.

As I have pain in my right arm (the one that didn't get the DEXA, as they only do the non-dominant arm ... I shall lie next time ...) and elbow/wrist, I insisted on an arm X-ray (hang the additional radiation!) after the hand X-ray showed up the sub-periosteal bone resorption and - strangely enough - my arm bones looked a bit thin at their centre as well. Spooky! (Don't ask why they couldn't have done the same hand and arm at the same time - I asked and didn't get a decent answer.)
Having my jaw X-rayed tomorrow (glow! glow!  cherry ) to see what the jawbone swelling really is. I'm trying to ignore it but people are noticing it now and it's always there in the mirror ....

They always do Magnesium as part of the Bone Profile at my local lab, but if they don't at yours it would be a good idea to add it to your "test tart sheet". Love that!

Love from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:37 am

Well, Jasmine, for a couple of years now, I've had terrible, burning, throbbing pain in the metatarsophalangeal joints of both little toes. (I could have just said the biggest joints of both little toes, but that would not have sounded quite as impressive there.  Laughing ) This pain was rather constant before parathyroid surgery and for several months afterward. Some days now it doesn't bother me at all. Some days it hurts some. For a couple of months now it has not been nearly as painful as it was in the past.

I do have a LOT of pain in my knees, especially the left one. A few years ago, I was being x-rayed for something completely unrelated, when the tech discovered a large popliteal cyst behind my left knee. So I know the problem with my knees is arthritis. I mentioned earlier on the old forum that I had a severe, allergic reaction to a wood stain I had been using 33 years ago, which caused every joint of my body to swell, become hot, red, and very painful. That pain lasted for about 28 years. It felt like I had arthritis in all of my joints. This included my jaw and spine. So I've had pain in my knees for many years, but for a couple of years that pain had resolved. My knees only started hurting badly again a couple of months ago. My wrists have started aching also. This is actually due to arthritis of my thumbs. The reason this worries me so much is that I had arthroplasty surgery on the left thumb 12 years ago to cure that pain. The surgery was a success. I had no pain at all for 12 years, and now it is back. The other thumb has gotten progressively worse. I need surgery on that one now too. But I'm thinking since both thumbs are hurting now, there might be something going on in my body causing this pain, other than just normal arthritis.

So I'm not sure what all my joint pain is about, but I would say the pain in my little toe joints might be considered gout or pseudo gout.

I'm sorry you're dealing with the pain of this crap too! Aren't you just sick of pain?! I sure am!!

Audrey

Little Audrey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:41 am

I forgot to mention that the pain I'm having with my knees now is different than what I felt for 28 years after the wood stain incident.    The front of my left knee not only hurts and is very stiff, but the tendons behind each knee are also painful and very stiff.   I never had this problem before.

Audrey

Little Audrey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:46 am

Yup! So done with all the pain .....! Onwards my friend .......!  Per ardua ad astra......

Jasmine x
Jasmine2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum