Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Partial new lab results are in, and I think we're getting somewhere!

5 posters

Go down

Partial new lab results are in, and I think we're getting somewhere! Empty Partial new lab results are in, and I think we're getting somewhere!

Post by Little Audrey Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:12 pm

Well, as mentioned earlier on the forum, our local hospital has launched a new program, which will allow me to view my lab results online as soon as they are completed.   I no longer have to wait for them in the mail, and since it takes exactly a month for the results to reach my PA's desk after being received via fax machine from the hospital, it will be VERY nice to take advantage of this new service, which I did for the first time today!

Now for the results:  

It looks like I do not have Lyme disease.   At least, I don't think I do.   The results are printed, but there is no reference range.   However, it is not flagged, so I'm thinking that means all is well.  

My glucose has dropped from 97 to 92, and that makes me very happy, because I have been taking D-mannose for UTI prevention, and even though it is said not to be readily absorbed by the body, I was worrying that maybe my body was different, and it WAS being absorbed.  Now I won't have to keep worrying about this.

I was concerned about my potassium and magnesium levels.    My potassium is at 4.2.  Normal is 3.5-5.1.  So that is good.   I was worried that that might be a little low since I had started taking the diuretic again for a couple of weeks.     My magnesium is at 1.8.  Normal is 1.5-2.9.  So that is pretty low/normal.   I am thinking maybe that should be a bit higher.   I have been taking 500 mg of magnesium for a couple of months.   Maybe I should take a little more.

My calcium is at 9.4 in the panel, but as I mentioned on the forum, when it is tested in a panel, it is always quite a bit lower than when tested separately.    The last time they were both tested together, the panel calcium was at 9.2, and the separate calcium was 9.9.    So I'm guessing my calcium is now again at least 10.0.   My PTH was not tested this time, as my doctors don't feel it was necessary.  Hmmm...........       That won't be tested again until late September unless I can convince them to do it sooner.

The B vitamins look good.    I have been taking vitamin B complex for months.  I will continue.

My PA wanted to check my liver function.    My AST and ALT are both mid-range, which is great, as before my parathyroid surgery, they were both elevated many times.       My bilirubin is very slightly elevated at 1.5.  Normal is 0.2 to 1.4.  

My kidney function has been a bit off over the past couple of years.    This time my BUN was normal, and my Creatinine was normal, but my BUN/Creatinine ratio was still a bit elevated at 24.  Normal is 6-20.     I would like to add here that I was checking out on the Internet this morning the effects of hypothyroidism on the liver and kidneys, and I learned that it can indeed affect them both!    I read that often times getting the thyroid medications adjusted and where they belong, the liver and kidneys will begin to function normally again.    And here is why that has some significance in my case................

My thyroid levels FINALLY reveal a thyroid problem!!!    For about 30 years I have been telling my doctors I was almost certain I was suffering from an underactive thyroid.   My tests always looked normal.   They always refused to treat me.    About 12 years ago, I started seeing a holistic doctor for this issue.   He went by my symptoms and not totally by my lab results.   He started me on Armour thyroid medication.   I started to feel somewhat better, but all of my other doctors begged me to stop seeing him, because even though my T3 and T4 were normal, the TSH was too low.    I refused to stop seeing him for quite a while.   At one of my appointments with my PA, I finally agreed to stop seeing the holistic doctor under 1 condition.   I told her I would give her, my internist, and my endo, 1 last chance to correct the problem and make me well again.   If they couldn't do that, I was going back to the holistic doctor.   That was about 6 years ago.   We have played around with the Armour dosage since that time.   My symptoms have continued to worsen.    For quite a while now, my T3 and T4 have been very low/normal, but my doctors refused to increase the dosage because the TSH level would then drop too low.    They insisted the TSH needed to be in the normal range.    

As you all know, I have been suffering terribly from many painful, miserable symptoms for close to 4 years now.   I have been blaming them all on HPT.    Looks like there just might be more to it than that!     My T4 is now below the normal range!!!    It is 0.55.  Normal is 0.61-1.12.   My T3 is still in the normal range at 2.9.  Normal is 2.3-4.2.   So I don't know if I am still in for a battle, or if my doctors will finally agree that my thyroid needs more help with the hormones.    Although, there is another concern with that.   I have convinced them in the past to raise it a little, and when we did, my eyeballs would start aching.  I mentioned this earlier on the forum.   When I would decrease the medication again, my eyes would stop aching.    I am seriously thinking maybe we need to change my medication and try a different one.   I had mentioned this to my PA at my previous appointment.  She didn't think that was a good idea.   I hope she will reconsider.   We need to get this straightened out!   I need to be well again!!

I do hope if we do get the thyroid medication adjusted and get my thyroid hormones normalized, I will get rid of a LOT of these symptoms, including the awful edema, the itchy, peeling inner ears (and lately my head, neck, and back have been itching!), my joint pain, my muscle pain, my muscle twitches, my muscle weakness, my tendon pain, my clogged ears and head, my dry eyes, my double vision, my acid reflux, maybe the darned recurrent UTIs, and I'm sure I have forgotten a few!  

The tests for adrenal issues are still pending.   I think them must have had to send those out to another lab.   They always have to do that with the parathyroid tests.     I will post those results just as soon as I am able to access them.

I am going to call the hospital now to find out where the A1c results are, and I'm going to call my PA to see about increasing my thyroid meds.    But first, I need to go pee!!!    Laughing    The 24-hour jug is filling up!!  

Once again, I am feeling happy because there is hope!!!

Audrey

Last edited by Little Audrey on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Partial new lab results are in, and I think we're getting somewhere! Empty Re: Partial new lab results are in, and I think we're getting somewhere!

Post by Meggy Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:25 pm

I'm glad you are feeling happy. I must confess I got a bit bogged down with all that because I haven't got the hang of all the levels yet. Really stupid question, who is this pa you keep contacting, the only thing I can think pa stands for is personal assistant but it can't be that surely?!

Meggy

Back to top Go down

Partial new lab results are in, and I think we're getting somewhere! Empty Re: Partial new lab results are in, and I think we're getting somewhere!

Post by Little Audrey Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:29 pm

A PA is a physician's assistant.  Smile 

Yes that is a lot of info, I must admit Sorry it's so long.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Meggy Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:42 pm

I wasn't complaining, just feel rather ignorant:-)

Meggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:05 pm

You're not ignorant! I've just been dealing with it all for so long, it's like second nature to me. I do sometimes get carried away when talking about it all.  Smile  I also get lost sometimes when reading other posts. I guess it's just easier to understand when it's your own case.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi209 Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:51 pm

Looks like you had the works Audrey. I have read something about post op like your blood pressure stabilizing and ones blood sugar also. It is weird how phpt effects so many things. I hope they can get your thyroid levels straightened out. That might help a lot. When endo does my blood work  there does seem to be a whole panel of other stuff[ interesting] didn't know it would make a difference.      Take Care Kathi flower  flower  flower

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigitte0 Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:20 am

I'm thinking of you Audrey, even when I'm not posting very much at the moment. I hope that all these results reveal exactly what's been making you feel so poorly for so long. All the best. 

Love, hugs and  cat  cat  cat 
Brigitte xx  flower
Brigitte0
Brigitte0

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:11 am

Audrey I do think you are definitely getting there, thank goodness you are such a fighter.
Good luck keep going.
Love Amanda xxxx cat  I love you  cat
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:26 pm

Well, Kathi, it would sure be nice if my blood pressure and blood sugar would improve!  The sugar is actually ok, but the blood pressure is still dipping into the 40s daily, and that is not good!

Thanks for the good thoughts, Brigitte.    They are always appreciated!!

I do hope I'm getting somewhere, Amanda.   At times I feel like I'm still lost.   I really do appreciate  you all caring!

I delivered my urine bottles to the hospital this morning, and I have some interesting news.   Back in February of 2011, I had a 24-hour urine test done.   At that time, my output was 3100 ml.    In April of 2013,  7 months before my parathyroid surgery, I had another test done.   My output was 3900 ml.    This time my output was only 2200 ml!   I guess it is true that HPT causes excessive thirst and urination.    How about that?

I also decided to get that chest x-ray done.   I was debating.  I really didn't want more radiation, but my PA looked very serious when she said she felt it was necessary, so I had it done.

I think this takes care of the tests for a while.

My blood pressure is still not good.  I checked it this morning.  As always, I took it 10 times.   I don't know if I ever explained why I do this or not.   My PA told me I should take my pressure after resting for 10 minutes.   When I go in and sit down to take my pressure, I'm not about to just sit there and stare at the wall for 10 minutes, so I start taking my pressure immediately.   It takes about a minute each time, so by the time I get to the 10th check, I have been resting for 10 minutes.    Smile      So anyway, this morning my systolic pressure was 86 once, 94 once, and the other 8 times it did stay above 100.    Just barely above 100.    My diastolic pressure dipped into the low 40s twice, the 50s 4 times, and the 60s 4 times.    

I did increase the thyroid meds from 75 mg daily to 90 mg today.   I'm hoping this will help, and I'm hoping it will be sooner than 6 weeks, which is what the doctors say is the time it should take to feel a difference.

I am still TOTALLY wiped out, with muscle pain, muscle twitching, muscle weakness, tendon pain, joint pain, tingling in my hands, arms, feet, and lower legs, double vision, dry eyes, itchy head, neck, arms, back, and inner ears, and for some reason I'm having a ton of hot flashes today, which is very annoying!    My feet are still VERY swollen and ugly, along with my lower legs.   My face is puffy with bags under my eyes.    I have determined my entire body is actually full of water, because when I take my blood pressure, the wrinkled indentations on my arm from the BP cuff stay on my arm for about 3 hours after the cuff is taken off.     Yes, I am a real mess!!!     Hopefully, things will start to improve very soon!

Audrey (Maybe I should just sign my messages "BLOW FISH"!)

Last edited by Little Audrey on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Forgot to say, I hope you ALL see some improvement very soon!!!  flower 

Blow Fish

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigitte0 Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:40 pm

How are you today Audrey? Or is it Blow Fish? Wink Hope you're feeling better today: I know you're probably not, but there's always hope! 

Love, hugs and  cat  cat  cat 
Brigitte xx
Brigitte0
Brigitte0

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi Audrey/blow fish you poor thing.
I'm sorry you are suffering so badly with the puffiness, it's just something else to deal with and I think you have enough already going on.
Do you know when you will get the results of the X-ray ? I'm sure it will be all fine anyway but at least you can scratch that off the list then.
I hope the thyroid medication kicks in soon and you stop itching and hurting and it also stops the puffs  Shocked 
Lots of love Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:30 pm

Well, Brigitte, I'm surviving.   Actually, today wasn't as bad as some.   I keep reminding myself of the symptoms that have resolved or improved, and that makes the day much better.   Well, at least a little better.   sunny 

The edema is still very bad, and I am still exhausted, but this afternoon my blood pressure looked more normal.   I will check it again tonight to see if it has stayed in the normal range.

Yes, Amanda, I wake up every morning and wonder what's next.    It seems when 1 thing improves, something else goes wrong, but I do think we will all be well in the end, so we must keep trudging along.

My neck, back, and head are not as itchy today.  My ear canals still are quite itchy, but they've been the worst of all the itchy areas, so maybe they'll just take a bit longer to stop.

I reminded myself as I was walking from the mall to my car today, that I am no longer on crutches, and I was actually moving at a pretty brisk pace!   So things could be worse.   My heels still hurt, but not so much when I'm walking, just mainly when I'm standing still.    I am very grateful for every thing that has resolved or improved!   Don't get me wrong, I still get ticked off because of all the other symptoms, but I am still grateful.  

I am not sure how long it will be before I receive the results of the x-ray.   I keep checking the hospital's new website, where I can get my test results, but there is nothing there yet for the x-ray, the 24-hour urine cortisol test, or the adrenal function tests.    The blood for the adrenal function tests was drawn last Thursday.   That's 6 days ago.   I know that blood had to be sent to another lab for testing.   That's why it is taking longer.   I don't know why it would take this long though.   I am not a patient person when it comes to test results!  

I called my endocrinologist's office today to let her know what has been going on with my blood pressure, pulse, edema, and other symptoms.    Of course, nobody ever actually answers the phone anymore, so I had to leave a message.  A couple of hours later a woman from the office called.  I'm not sure who she was.   She wanted to know my blood pressure readings.   I gave her several.   She was in a real rush and didn't give me much time to speak.    All she knows is that my BP and pulse have been very low, and I have a lot of edema.   I didn't even get a chance to tell her that my Free T4 was low with this last labwork.   I doubt if they have a copy of the results yet.    I will try to mention it to her when she calls back.   Hopefully, she won't be in such a hurry then.     I also wanted to ask her about taking a diuretic for this darned edema if my BP stays in the normal range for a while.    I can't deal with this!    

Blow Fish

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigitte0 Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:26 am

Oh Audrey, you're not a Blow Fish! Don't put yourself down - you're a lovely person who needs her health sorted out so that you can be well again Smile It will happen. 

I hope you get the x ray results soon and have a proper talk with the Endo. I think you need to put your feet up (when not taking your BP)! 

All the best and keep keeping on. 

Love and hugs 
Brigitte xx  cat  cat
Brigitte0
Brigitte0

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for caring, Brigitte. Thank you for the encouraging words! My granddaughters are due here soon, and I have a few more things to do before they get here, but I'm going to try to hurry and get those things done so I can post about my exciting news!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down