Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use http://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Anyone have heart block?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone have heart block?

Post by Lucie83 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi

Went to the GP today to request repeated Thyroid, Calcium & PTH. Also having my Magnesium checked as it's a little on the low normal side. Also was told that my 24hr ECG was fine but showed a heart block while I was asleep but nothing that was a concern. This is the 2nd time it's happened to me that I've been aware of and from my understanding, isn't this also a HPTH symptom? 

He also told me that they only take notice of Corrected Calcium as sometimes the stretchy band thingy that goes around your arm during a blood test can immediately elevate Calcium?

Xxxx

Lucie83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone have heart block?

Post by Jasmine2 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Not sure about heart block Lucie but some heart conditions can be associated with pHPT eg cardiac arrhythmia, atherosclerosis due to calcium build up in the vessels.

Whenever I go for a blood test for calcium I ask the phlebotomist to release the cuff (if it's being used) once in the vein to get an accurate result, but I tend to get the same person each time and she never uses a cuff when drawing blood for calcium - she obviously knows her stuff! Not certain of the science behind it but I think a cuffed specimen affects the albumin which calcium particles attach to (? correct me if I'm wrong peeps as I'm not 100% sure on this ....) which gives a falsely elevated calcium value.

Jasmine x
Jasmine2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum