Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proton Pump Inhibitors

2 posters

Go down

Proton Pump Inhibitors Empty Proton Pump Inhibitors

Post by Tigerlily Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:04 pm

1.Y. T. Ghebremariam, P. LePendu, J. C. Lee, D. A. Erlanson, A. Slaviero, N. H. Shah, J. Leiper, J. P. Cooke. An Unexpected Effect of Proton Pump Inhibitors: Elevation of the Cardiovascular Risk Factor ADMA. Circulation, 2013; DOI: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.113.003602

This is the reference for a recent paper on PPI's.

It comes from a healthy life newsletter that I receive that contains good information but is also a sales pitch for the sale of health books, so I haven't included the whole article. It does infer however that gastric reflux might be a case of too little stomach acid rather than too much, which is quite a different view (if I have got that right). Although this view would be supported by the fact that as we age we tend to produce too little rather than too much stomach acid. Curiouser and curiouser!

For information, the health book they are trying to sell contains (so the blurb says) details of a lot of natural remedies for acid reflux (check out the Polish housewife's remedy of radish and cheese) and costs £25. (I have no alliance to this company at all, and their big fat hardbacks can often be found on the bookshelves of charity shops!)

I didn't want to post the whole thing on the forum because of this sales pitch, and it's probably a better idea to Google the research paper and read that.

Basically it looks as though PPI's might present another risk factor for heart disease further along the line. I was thinking about what FP said to me yesterday about his agreeing to my surgery because an untreated PTH adenoma was also a risk factor for heart disease, and at my age (62) I could do with avoiding as many of those as possible.

Just a thought for everyone suffering with GERD etc.

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Proton Pump Inhibitors Empty Re: Proton Pump Inhibitors

Post by Tigerlily Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:20 pm

Phew - just finished reading it - bloomin' complicated!

It's more of an awareness-raising paper than one that proposes a definite link between use of PPI's and heart problems in the general population.

They have found a definite link between their use and worsening heart problems in people with heart problems in the first place.

They think there might be a danger of PPI's having an adverse effect on the heart in general but this has not yet been proven. They do however insist that further research on the effect of PPI's on the hearts of the general population is warranted, especially since PPI's are available over the counter without prescription in some countries (and therefore without medical supervision of their use).

So, nothing to worry about unduly, but something to think about.

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:19 am

Yep, it would seem those darned PPIs aren't good for much of anything but reducing stomach acid temporarily, because they are certainly not good for long-term use, which is something I don't think my doctors are even aware of! And the fact that they can work great for a while and then when stopped, your stomach can start WAY overproducing acid, even worse than before you started taking them, makes you wonder if they're even worth it. I stopping mine about a week ago. I'm just going to tell my PA we need to find another way to decrease my stomach acid. I have been using the Gaviscon I had left over from a little while back. I don't think I was taking it often enough to do much good. I am now taking it 3 or 4 times a day. Hopefully, this will work. I'm done with PPIs. I'm certainly not going to take a risk of damaging my heart for goodness sake! Just one more reason to stay off of them. I'm really hoping once I get my thyroid under control, the acid reflux will let up some.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:36 pm

I thought I would post here (in her own words) some advice from my long-time Polish penfriend about a natural remedy for acid reflux/indigestion/ulcers:

Well, it has helped me enormously since the first (and very tasty) Schlug. :-)  Sip, I mean.
What it is is to neutralize the stomach acids and additionally forms a layer very protective for the stomach mucosa.
In general the potato (fresh) juice is a remedy for many things.
You have to drink it before you clean your pressing machine as it goes oxidized very rapidly (turning brown).
We need it not-oxidized.

A (ca. 200ml)glass of freshly pressed raw potato juice in the morning. If necessary up to 3 glasses a day (heavy ulcer's cases).
For a slight mucosa inflammation - for a week or so.
In ulcer case - for a month.

My friend lives in an area of Poland that is famed for it potatoes, near Poznan. I expect if one wished to try this remedy organic potatoes would be best, as plain old supermarket ones might cause more problems than they cure. From what she says, it looks as if you only need to take it for a few weeks to get some relief. Might be worth a try!

Love from Tigerlily (and Cheers! from Jolanta) xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Well, Tigerlily, if this would work, it would sure be better than taking drugs!! Thank you for posting this. It's certainly worth a try!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:59 pm

Cheers, Audrey! Not sure what it tastes like - if you try it, do let us know!
Love Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Well, I was wondering if I could just eat a lot of potatoes instead!  Laughing  I'm not sure if I'll be a big fan of potato juice. I'm thinking I'd have to eat WAY too many potatoes to get the same effect, though, so I doubt if that would work. I'll let you know.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:38 pm

I expect you could add something else to it, like apple juice maybe to disguise the taste. But I'm reliably informed by my Polish friend that it doesn't taste too bad!

Keep us posted on progress. It will be something else to add to your medicine bag, Dr Aud!

Love Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:47 pm

Tigerlily, check out this link. http://juicing-for-health.com/basic-nutrition/healing-vegetables/health-benefits-of-potato.html

I don't have a juicer, but I guess it's time to buy one!!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Although, after reading this, I'm a bit concerned about another issue of mine. I know potatoes are high in potassium, but I didn't think until reading this, that if potassium helps to lower blood pressure, I could be in REAL trouble with this! I am still having trouble with low blood pressure. This morning I checked it 10 times as I always do. I had 4 diastolic pressures in the 50s and 1 in the 40s. The systolic pressure was in the 80s four times! This is a very baffling issue. As mentioned previously on the forum, my new nephro thinks this is all being caused from low thyroid function. I increased my Armour again after seeing him. A couple of the symptoms have improved quite a bit after doing this, but the low blood pressure persists. Although, I am also taking a diuretic again to help get rid of all of this water, and I know that lowers blood pressure too. I figured I would gradually cut back on the diuretic after the water is taken care of. I'm hoping the thyroid meds will kick in and do its part in ridding my body of the excess water, and then I won't need the diuretic. Since it takes around 6 weeks for a body to adjust completely from a thyroid medication adjustment, I guess I'll need to wait another 5 weeks to see if my plan will work.

And speaking of taking a diuretic, I have a feeling I should have held off on that for a little while. I was just so darned sick of being so badly puffed up! On Thursday I turned in a random urine sample over at the hospital. I had to fast for 10 hours for this, and that fast included fluids also. Then I had to fill the cup at 8:00 and run it over to the hospital. This was for the nephro. He also wanted another 24-hour urine test performed. I turned that in yesterday. I didn't realize one of the things he was testing was my urine sodium. The results came back from the random sample, and my sodium was 125. Normal is 8-60. It never dawned on me that the diuretic would raise my darned urine sodium! DUH! So I'm guessing the doctor will want to reorder these tests.  So tired of peeing in things other than a toilet, but if that's what it will take to get me well again, I guess I can continue to do it. My serum sodium was normal, but as you can see the urine sodium was sky high.

Oh, and my potassium right now is higher than it has been over the past 3-2/3 years. It is still in the normal range, but higher than it has ever been before. I think this is due to the low aldosterone level. So, I don't know if I want to raise my potassium even higher. Crap!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:22 pm

I forgot to mention that normally diuretics lower potassium levels. The fact that mine is higher now while being on a diuretic makes me think this MUST have something to do with the low aldosterone. Interesting, isn't it? Our bodies are so amazing!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Absolutely amazing, Audrey, as you say.

No, probably best not to tinker with anything whilst the nephro is on your case

Your potato juice cocktail will have to wait!

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down