Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti thyroid peroxidase level of 495 iu/ml

3 posters

Go down

Anti thyroid peroxidase level of 495 iu/ml Empty Anti thyroid peroxidase level of 495 iu/ml

Post by Tigerlily Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Hello All

Can anyone here help me interpret this elevated(!!) anti thyroid peroxidase level that has just been reported back to my GP by my endo (yes, that endo again ...)?

I have checked with the lab that it is not a typo or an incorrect result and although she wouldn't comment on the high level she didn't say anything when I said I thought it could be a severe thyroid problem or at least Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

When it was first tested about 2 years ago, my anti thyroid perxidase level was 29 in the same range (0-60), so I'm getting a bit worried - and having difficulty getting a response on this from Dr Google.

I have low thyroid function treated with T3 only (as I seemed to have a reaction to thyroxine) under the "care" of said endo.

Any ideas helpful! Thanks.

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Anti thyroid peroxidase level of 495 iu/ml Empty Re: Anti thyroid peroxidase level of 495 iu/ml

Post by Hadleigh Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:57 pm

If you are hypo then it does mean its autoimmune, Hashimoto's. The antibodies can flare up causing a Hashi/Hyper attack. Have you got your thyroid levels to share ? 

TPO levels can be very much higher so don't panic and the hypo treatment is the same whether TPO is high or not, it just means it is autoimmune rather than not.

I have antibodies for Graves (Hyper, even though I am now Hypo, they are there for life) which flare up occasionally but it makes no difference to my hypo treatment.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Anti thyroid peroxidase level of 495 iu/ml Empty Re: Anti thyroid peroxidase level of 495 iu/ml

Post by Tigerlily Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:15 pm

Thanks for your swift reply, Nelly - so pleased it's nothing extra to worry about!

TSH is currently ("normalised" according to my endo) at 3.7 mU/l with a Free T3 of 4.6 (3.5-6.5) and a low Free T4 of 7.5 pmol/l (10-19.Cool. The Free T4 being low because I only take T3 and not thyroxine (had a bit of a reaction to it).

The endo reported the TPO to my GP with no comment, so I supposed that it was OK - just looked rather high. She originally diagnosed me with Hashi's but has been putting Primary Hypothyroidism on all letters for some time now.

Any more thoughts most welcome, Nelly, thank you.

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:31 pm

What dose are you on as your tsh is to high ?
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:38 pm

T3 only - 20mcg first thing in the morning and a further 10mcg at lunchtime.

Endo has suggested I could increase to 20mcg at lunchtime - so total 40mcg per day.

Should I give that a go, do you think?

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:12 pm

On T3 only meds your TSH should be very low along with low T4 because you aren't taking any but your T3 should be over mid range which yours isn't.

An increase should lower your TSH and raise T3 so if Endo has suggested it then give it a go. Edwin knows more about T3 than I do so he can tell you more tomorrow when he gets back from Amsterdam.
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Many thanks for your input, Nelly.
Yes, I had thought my TSH was too high.
I will increase the lunchtime dose to 20mcg and see where that takes me - thank you.
If Edwin can add any more, I'd be glad to hear from him.

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:31 pm

No problem, always happy to help if we can.
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi Tigerlily

While your TSH is within the dreaded reference range (i.e. "normal") as far as GPs and Endos are concerned, I would expect your TSH to be below 1 (something like 0.02 to 0.05) on T3 only medication (assuming that the T3 is working). 

Ignoring the blood results, how are you feeling?  Do you have any hypo or hyper symptoms? 

It is more important to treat the symptoms rather than the blood results (especially as the TSH can be misleading).  This is something that GPs and Endos seem to forget, because they are blinded by the all-powerful TSH.

With your current TSH level and you being on T3 only, I would have expected you to have some hypo symptoms.

Increasing your T3 seems reasonable as a first step.

Getting your FT3 level in the upper half of the range should result in you losing any hypo symptoms (which should be the priority).

It might be an idea to get your Ferritin/Iron checked, as low Ferritin/Iron can inhibit absorption of T3.

If your FT3 increases and you feel well, but still have a similar level of TSH s now, this might point to an over-active hypothalamus or Pituitary gland (both of which control the TSH level).

The difficulty may be getting anyone to look into this, because of the dreaded TSH reference range.

Edwin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks so much for this, Edwin. I seem to swing from hypo-tired-out to periods of going like a train and then hypo-shattered again. Does that sound more like Hashi's than plain hypothyroid to you?

Know what you mean about the dreaded TSH level. It had gone down to about 1.8 about 2 months ago, but has drifted up again. (It was over 10 before I started on thyroxine.)

I'll increase the T3 dose and see what that does. Ferritin/Iron were OK, as I recall, but that's interesting that low levels can inhibit T3 absorption.

Thanks again for your help - always appreciated.

Love from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:32 pm

I am not an expert on Hashis, but hypo/hyper swinging sounds about right for Hashis.

http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_the_thyroid/hashimotos.html

Edwin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks, Edwin - again, really useful.

Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:02 pm

With Hashi you do swing from hypo to hyper in line with antibodies going up and down , so having spells of being tired then spells of going like a train fits in with that.
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down