Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daily Mail article 2011

3 posters

Go down

Daily Mail article 2011 Empty Daily Mail article 2011

Post by Tigerlily Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi Everyone

I was looking for the name of the endocrine surgeon Tom Kurzawinski, because someone on the old forum had mentioned his name, and this interesting article came up that I had not seen before:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2058698/Revealed-hidden-reason-thousands-women-forgetful-depressed.html

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Daily Mail article 2011 Empty Re: Daily Mail article 2011

Post by Hadleigh Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:27 pm

I had my urology appt today, now have 3 kidney stones Rolling Eyes . I quoted my surgeon saying stones were a risk for some years after para op but urologist disagreed and dared to say the "cured" word Shocked. He did say he usually sees hpth  patients with a lot more stones so I did well to get away with 3 and not to have had any problems. I opted for lithotripsy rather than another general anaesthetic and invasive op.

Good article Tigerlily, hpth appears to be more common than we are sometimes led to believe.  How are you doing ?

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi Nelly

Sorry to hear that you now have 3 stones, but I have heard good reports of lithotripsy, so I hope that will go well for you.

I don't seem to have had any kidney stones myself, except for something that was seen by a urologist on a CT scan he ordered and which was finally diagnosed as a "kidney cyst".

I'm doing well, Nelly, thanks for asking. The main symptoms to have reduced and disappeared post-op are the terrible brain fog, the low mood/depression, and the constant aching across the top of the back of my shoulders and across the front of my clavicles. And the headache that had been hanging around since May also seems to have disappeared. That's a real bonus!

I haven't been able to wear heavy clothing across the back of my neck or even the lightest of necklaces for many years - about 10 years, probably, so I'm doing an experiment this evening and have been successfully wearing quite a heavy necklace since about 5pm, so I'm doing well!

I think the internal stitches may have started to dissolve now (op was on Dec 11th) as I have a different "feeling" inside my throat to the one I have had since the op, and possibly a bit more indigestion. I'm burping to rival Mr TG at the moment! Did this happen to you post-op, Nelly?

I agree with you that pHPT is more common than originally thought. I read recently that it's the third most common endo complaint after thyroid problems and diabetes (if I have remembered that correctly - brain fog perhaps not yet totally gone!)

I wish you and Edwin a Happy and Healthy New Year, Nelly, and hope that your health problems will show some improvement very soon.

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:22 pm

I have a kidney cyst as well but he didn't say anything about that. I have to have 3 sessions of lithotripsy and if that doesn't work then the invasive op is the only option. Apparently litho is quite painful so not looking forward to it x 3.

I have had bad indigestion and reflux on and off for several weeks, when I had it pre op I assumed it was the high calcium but obviously not unless my calcium has gone high again, which would explain why I feel so crappy.

Happy to hear you are OK and noticing improvements, my neck felt different once the stitches had dissolved, I had some numbness left from thyroid op which is slightly worse now but I don't really notice it.

I wish you and Mr TG a Happy New Year and continued good health in 2015.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks, Nelly - glad to hear the indigestion/reflux are not just me - but sorry you were bothered by it!

Have you had your calcium checked again lately? Might be a good idea.

My 2 weeks post op serum calcium was 2.37 with a PTH of 4.97 (1.60-6.90). Not too bad, I don't suppose.

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:16 pm

My last test was end of Nov, calcium was 2.5 pth 3.3. According to all docs I am now "cured" so no need for further tests !! I will get it done in a few weeks with thyroid test which is another issue with the docs Evil or Very Mad 

Your results are looking good, are you due another test soon ? 

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Thanks, Nelly - I shall be seeing FP on 6 Jan and if he doesn't take blood then, I'll probably get my GP to test again before the end of Jan. It's obviously up to us ourselves to keep on top of things!

Your Ca and PTH look OK as well, as long as the 2.5 Ca was just a peak fluctuation, which it probably was.

Onwards and upwards - hope your thyroid situation is good too when tested.

My cholesterol has been high for some years now. It reached 11.6 recently, but after the op it has dropped to 7.9 - one of the lowest readings for the past 3 years. Just need to get it down a bit further and I'll be happy.

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:07 pm

Its been 2.52 - 2.50 for a while now, at least last 3 tests I think. Thyroid is another battle which is why I'm in no hurry to get It tested again ! Trying to avoid my GP, can you guess !

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:17 pm

I can imagine, Nelly!

Do you know of a Mr Christopher Wong at Bristol, Frenchay and your Southmead?

He was on Simon's old list of endo surgeons experienced in minimally invasive PTH surgery that I came across the other day.

Just a snippet of info in case it might be of use!

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Yes I have heard of him, I have no complaints with my surgeon its the endo/gp arrogant know it all attitude that gets my goat Rolling Eyes

I don't think the minimal op would have worked for me with the previous scar tissue and difficulty in locating the offending article, my surgeon does the MIP but he wasn't going to attempt it knowing there were likely problems.

Will keep Mr Wong in mind should I need to go elsewhere, thanks.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:43 pm

Cheers, Nelly - my goat gets got by the same thing!

T-L xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Meggy Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:11 pm

Don't worry about the lithotripsy Hadleigh, I've had it and it was absolutely fine. You are given a painkiller and you feel a quick repeated drumming on your skin. I did feel a bit stiff afterwards but that was from lying still. It is *not* painful and I am a wimp:-) I do remember having a few cystitis like symptoms the next few times I went to the loo as you pass the very fine grit but no pain - drink plenty and it's easier. It's a while ago now but I think I had 2 treatments with the option of a third that I didn't need. Hope that gives a bit of reassurance, I don't know anyone that had pain.

Meggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks Meggy that is certainly good to know, I was wondering if perhaps I would have been better going for the other procedure but if the litho is easy then I'm happy with my choice Very Happy

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down