Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Second MIBI scan

4 posters

Go down

Second MIBI scan Empty Second MIBI scan

Post by mel123 Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:42 am

Hope everyone has had a restful New Year? I hope 2015 is a good year for the people recovering from surgery and the people hoping for surgery.

Quick question is it dangerous to have more than one MIBI scans in 6 months.  Mixed feelings worried about the radiation! But remembering what Sallie Powell messaged me makes me think its worth a try. Sallie had her first scan at Derby Hospital where I had my first scan and both showed up nothing and she said she had her next scan at a different hospital after asking for a second opinion and an tumor showed up. So may be its worth trying again.  The RH has requested a MIBI scan after my raised calcium of 2.74. 

Had another blood test today after seeing GP last week about my increased palpitations (SVT) and dizziness. I feel exhausted and i`ve had two weeks off work so not looking forward to returning tomorrow. Sleep x 

mel123

Back to top Go down

Second MIBI scan Empty Re: Second MIBI scan

Post by Tigerlily Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:02 pm

Sounds as though another scan might be a good idea, Mel. Forum members more knowedgable than me will be able to advise if there is any risk or not.

Have you had a nice simple non-invasive ultrasound lately? One of my 3 adenoma showed up on US, but none of them were seen on the nuclear scan.

That is a high calcium at 2.74. Let's hope they can come to some conclusions for you very soon and do take care with the dizziness. I had vertigo diagnosed for a while pre-op and managed to fall down the library steps with it, so do look after yourself.

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by mel123 Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Thank you Tigerlily, 

The date for the next scan is next Thursday and it says on the letter the radiation level for the scan is the same as 2.5 years of natural radiation.  So i am adding an extra 5 years radiation to my life, I just hope something shows up!

The ultrasound scan in July 2014 showed a area which they reported it to be lymph nodes, thyroid nodules and the larger lymph node that had the possibility to be one of the parathyroids. 

I`m hoping that Aintree has better equipment or more experienced scanners than Derby. 

My GP tested me for vertigo but decided that my dizziness was not that.  I wanted to say but didn't that it was probably from having calcium of 2.74 but as he had already told me that it wasn't that high!!!

Hope you are feeling well?

Take care Mel x

mel123

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Cheers, Mel - I think you'll be OK with the 2nd MIBI especially if it's in experienced hands. Do I recall correctly that you have gone across to see Robert Hardy?

These GP's haven't got the hang of this calcium thing at all, have they? I agree with you that the dizziness could be from your high calcium. My vertigo was intermittent, however, over a few weeks, and then it disappeared. So I hope yours doesn't last too long.

These lymph nodes can be a bit of a puzzle as well. I seem to have been divested during the surgery of a couple of these that were in the vicinity of the PTH adenoma. One had been seen on US and was reported as "a benign reactive lymph node". I'll post the path report for my adenomas (what is the plural?!) tomorrow, in case it helps anyone to read it.

Thanks for asking, Mel - I am in fact feeling quite "epic" since the surgery. I told FP that today and we had a laugh about it. So many of the disabling symptoms have vanished: the intermittent but ever-recurring headache has gone; I don't have to go back to bed in the afternoons; I can think more clearly and I feel calmer in myself somehow - and much much less crabby and irritable!

Keep us posted on next Thursday's scan and developments.

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi209 Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:31 am

Mel  As many scans as I have had I should glow in the dark. I think you'll will be fine. Lets us know how it goes. Best wishes to you.   Kathi

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

Post by mel123 Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi Tigerlily, yes I`ve seen Robert Hardy in November and he has referred me for this MIBI scan.  My calcium is fluctuating at the moment 18.12.14 adjusted calcium was 2.74 and 05.01.15 it was 2.64. Not sure whats going on still taking the same amount of Vit D supplements but Vit D has gone from 62 to 51. Not sure about PTH as I need to collect the report from my doctors surgery. I would be very interested in your path report and I`m so pleased you are feeling "epic" since your surgery. Take care x 

Thanks Kathi I`m hoping the scan will be worth it and something will show up, Take care x

mel123

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:00 am

I do hope this new scan will positive for you, Mel, but, if not, just keep in mind I only had 1 scan. It was done the morning before surgery. It was negative. I then had 2 adenomas removed! Good luck!!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down