Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use http://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Went for more bloodwork yesterday.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Went for more bloodwork yesterday.

Post by Little Audrey on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:30 pm

Yesterday I went to our local hospital for more bloodwork. It's been close to 2 months since I was there last. If you all recall, my last couple of experiences there have not been very pleasant. I am a tough customer when it comes to drawing blood. I am known as the triple threat at this lab, because they tell me my veins are deep, crooked, and small.

A few months ago, I noticed none of the regular phlebotomists were there. There are 3 women there who have no problem at all finding my 'good' vein and drawing my blood. All of the others struggle and eventually have to ask for help. That particular day, I had a new girl make the attempt. I could tell immediately I was in trouble! She couldn't palpate the vein they ALWAYS use. She stuck the needle in and made a blind attempt. She couldn't find anything. She told me she wanted to try going in the fleshy part of my forearm. We could see a vein there.

She attempted to draw the blood from this vein. She inserted the needle and struggled for a while, but the blood eventually started to come out. She got some in 1 tube, and then switched to the second tube. Then the blood stopped coming out. She removed the needle and looked for yet another vein.

We saw some good ones in the backs of my hands and decided to go for one of them. She inserted the needle, and the blood began to fill the tube. Then she said, "Well, how am I going to reach the other tubes (we had to fill 6 this day? They are over there." She was working on the left hand, and the tubes were to my right. I couldn't believe this girl! I grabbed the tubes and was going to hand them to her as needed. All of a sudden, the phelbotomist working beside us said, "GET OUT OF THERE FAST! THE VEIN IS BLOWING!!" affraid Sure enough the vein began to swell VERY quickly! It looked like someone stuck a huge marble under my skin. She had to call for help.

Another, more experienced girl came to her rescue. She palpated the inside of my elbow right where I told her the good vein was. This was the vein we ALWAYS use. She immediately said, "There it is." Then she said to the first girl, "Why didn't you just use THIS vein?" The girl told her because she couldn't feel it. The second girl looked at the partially filled tubes the first girl had used. She told the girl there was not enough blood in each tube, so they were going to have to pitch them and redraw 2 extra tubes. Shocked The second girl inserted the needle into my good vein, the blood flowed freely, she filled 6 tubes, and we were done!

So yesterday when I arrived, there was a new girl sitting behind the computer. I had decided if I did not see any of the regular people there, I was going to leave and go back on another day. I was NOT going to go through that HELL again! Then I noticed one of the regulars sitting off to the side. I pointed to her and said, "I am requesting YOU!" She smiled and said that was ok. The other girl said jokingly, "You know there is an extra fee for making requests." To which I replied, "I'LL PAY!!!!!" Everybody there laughed. I did later tell the younger girl that I meant no disrespect for her, but I have had some horrible experiences there in the past, and I would just ask for someone I know can handle me. She understood. As a matter of fact, she had trouble with the woman she was working on and had to ask MY girl to help her.

Years ago, I would not have spoken up. I would have just taken whatever came my way. I am not so shy anymore. I'm tired of suffering, darn it! Look out world!!

Audrey

Little Audrey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Went for more bloodwork yesterday.

Post by Lucycatnaps on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:27 am

Hi Audrey,
Ohh I remember how traumatic it was for you last time having blood taken and I can totally understand how you would not want a repeat performance.  Luckily the nurses in my GP practise are pretty good at getting mine out.  Good luck with your test results.
Sue x
Lucycatnaps

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:32 pm

Thanks, Sue. Yes, sometimes I wonder if those people have ever actually drawn blood before they work on us! I know they all have to learn, but geez!!

Some of my results came in yesterday. I will be posting them later on today. Of the results that are in, a few things have improved, and I am very happy about that. The adrenal function tests and some of the thyroid function tests are not in yet, and I am very anxious to see those. Those are the ones that have to be sent to another lab, so I probably won't have those for at least another week.

I will be discussing all of these results with my little, nutty nephro on Feb. 10. Looking forward to seeing him again. Hard to believe it's been 2 months since I saw him last. Time sure flies when you're having fun! Laughing

Audrey

Little Audrey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum