Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use http://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Easy Bruising

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Easy Bruising

Post by Lucie83 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:52 pm

Afternoon Everyone.

Hope you are well or as well as can be.

I just wondered whether anyone bruises easy? I know that may sound silly as some of us have just been prone to bruising easy, but I've noticed I get a few bruises on my legs and arms over the past couple of years and I cannot think for the life of me how I got them. Sometimes there painless! I'm due to have my Wisdom Teeth out next Thurs so had a blood test for Renal, Thyroid & Ferritin today as I mentioned my health issues (no PTH diagnosis yet) to the nurses and mentioned I seem to appear with a bruise out of nowhere. 

Does anyone else go through the same thing?

Thanks

Lucie83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Easy Bruising

Post by Admin on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:57 pm

Hi Lucie

Are you taking any blood thinning medication ?
Typically, these could be for a heart problem.
Aspirin, maybe ?
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucie83 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi

No not on any medication. Don't get me wrong I'm not covered in bruises, but I can't think how I got them. I do have 2 children so most of the time my brain cells are non existent so I could get bumped now and again and just bruise easy. I'm quite fair and my skin is quite thin, maybe I'm just more aware of everything these days, too much googling Shocked

Thanks

Lucie83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pilipala on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:12 pm

Hi Lucie,

I am the same. Very pale, bruise easily. I feel like I have more unexplained marks since being ill but can't be sure. There are times I just don't feel like my sense of touch is very sensitive, or maybe my mind isn't focussed, or my memory of hitting things is worse or maybe I am more clumsy generally or maybe it's a result of the Calcium somehow, since it's a clotting agent, though I can't immediately see how that would work.

So yeah, very inconclusive and subjective really, but yes, I feel the same. Don't know if that helps.

Love
Dee
xxx

pilipala

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucie83 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi Dee

Thanks for your response. Am I right in saying you are pre-menopause? Apologies if I am getting confused with somebody else but I think it was you that made that some good points in one of my previous post about how HPTH affects pre menopausal women to post menopause. Having done lots of research I think I agree it affects us differently too

Lucie x

Lucie83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pilipala on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:17 pm

Yes and yes. 

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much research into phpt in pre-menopausal women. Dr N makes a few comments on his website, like hair loss at the temples for example. The fact younger patients are more likely to be normo-calcaemic or have intermittent levels is referenced in a paper I found plus a case-study of a Japanese woman who had crazy PTH levels and her Ca was only something like 2.38 but she had a parathyroid tumour. The authors suggested more research should be done into the effect of estrogen - since this is the main difference in younger women. I agree. My symptoms can vary throughout the month as Ca levels are linked to estrogen and I'm convinced the high PTH, increases vit D conversion which uses estrogen and so if I spike my vit D levels, i get symptoms of low estrogen. Horrible. I totally sympathise with women who suffer when going through the menopause.

Try explaining this to a Dr and they just look at you funny.

Hugs,
Dee
xxx

pilipala

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:49 am

Hi Lucie and Dee

I can agree with all of this - before pHPT surgery (and somewhat still afterwards) I was so clumsy and un-coordinated that I was always coming up in bruises in odd places that I couldn't remember doing. I think it is the calcium that affects the nerves to make us clumsy.

Yes, I've read recently that some people have had really high PTH levels and low normal calcium and had PTH tumours. Try telling that to the endo who told me: PTH doesn't have any symptoms (mine peaked at 12.77 btw) - any symptoms come from a high calcium - you don't have a high calcium (was usually 2.5+ and peaked at 2.73) - and so you can't be having any symptoms.

I have yet to deal with her!

Love and Hugs, Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:58 pm

It's little funny seeing posts about other member's PTH levels being high.

My PTH is currently 66.5 and my Nephrology consultant has finally decided that it is something we need to discuss !
It more then doubled in the last 12 months, as my kidney function declined.
Calcium has remained fairly stable at around 2.5.

There do not seem to be any obvious side-effects, although they could be masked by the rest of my collection of medical challenges.

Edwin
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:11 pm

I have never bruised easily.    As a matter of fact, it was very rare for me to bruise.   That is, until this past year.   I am wondering if the lower than usual red cell count and lower than usual white cell count had anything to do with this.    Now that those levels have increased a bit, I'm not bruising nearly as easily.    I guess more research is needed for me to determine if there is any connection.     Unless, of course, any of you already have the answer to this.   

Edwin, you stated that your calcium is 2.5, and your PTH is 66.5.    I'm a bit confused, as it sounds like the 2.5 is in UK numbers, but the PTH is in US numbers.    If your PTH of 66.5 is in US numbers, that is still too high for a calcium as high as yours, but if that 66.5 is in UK numbers, that's HORRIBLY high!!   affraid     Can you clarify this for me?   Thanks.

Audrey

Little Audrey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:14 pm

My PTH is horribly high - this is a UK number affraid

High PTH is expected with CKD, so they have been fairly relaxed about it until it incresed much further recently, as my kidney function has declined.

I bruised a lot when I was on Clopidogrel after my heart-attack.  This is a blood thinner and I only had to look at a door knob and a bruise appeared ;-)

I am now only taking soluble aspirin as a blood thinner and not experiencing bruising.

Edwin
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:31 pm

Oh, my goodness, Edwin, I have never heard of a PTH that high before!    I don't know much about kidney disease.  The only problem I have with my kidneys is that they are not producing adequate amounts of renin.     I'm guessing if the PTH is elevated from the kidney issues, that would cause the calcium to be elevated too.    My question is, if this is the case, how the heck will the doctors determine whether or not you have a parathyroid problem?    If they are relying solely on a scan, that won't be good, since many scans are negative with HPT, as mine was.    

Audrey

Little Audrey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:25 pm

Until last year, my PTH was slowly creeping-up, but my calcium level has been stable at around 2.5.

I guess that the sudden doubling of the PTH to where it is now over the last 12-months has got some attention.

It is up for discussion at my next Nephrology appointment in May, so I do not know what action they will take, but I suspect that it will be surgical.

Edwin
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum