Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use http://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Hurrah for Nancy!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hurrah for Nancy!

Post by Tigerlily on Mon May 11, 2015 4:38 pm

Hi Nancy

So good to hear that you will be having surgery tomorrow - and I do hope that it is the solution to your problems.

We'll be crossing all fingers and toes here to wish you the very best of luck and the very best of better health afterwards!

Let us know how it all goes, when you feel up to posting again.

Love from Tigerlily xxx

Tigerlily

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hurrah for Nancy!

Post by NancyMi on Fri May 15, 2015 2:12 pm

Hi Tigerlily and all,
     I went in this past Monday the 11th for surgery.  It happened rather fast because last week I got a call from the scheduler asking if I could come in Monday.  That was last wed.  I had to drive up for the pre-op visit that day.  They did an ekg but no blood work.  I don't think I needed any blood work because as far as I know, I don't have any anemia.
     On monday, just before surgery, the surgeon stopped by and said he was going to go in on the right and mid way up the neck.  A scan had showed something higher and on the right.  
      When I got out of surgery, and while still not fully alert, another surgeon came by and said that they had used the previous site to go in.  At that moment I thought to myself, they didn't get it.
      Then he told me that the pth had gone down to 13 and the calcium went to 2.28
I never had very high calciums. 
      I think they did get it and I am surprised that they were able to get to it through the previous site.  When I press on the left side of the neck above the dressing, there is no pain but when I press on the right side there is pain and some swelling so I believe they did find the bad gland on the right and remove it.

I haven't had any tingling at all.  They gave calcitriol post op and I am supposed to take 1 a day.  Apparently it's the type of D that doesn't have to be converted by the kidney.  I am supposed to take calcium 3 times a day but yesterday which was the 3rd post op day, I only took calcium once.  The reason is, because I have made an effort to get high calcium foods. 
     As far as changes,  I did notice that the skin on my lower legs that had begun to look like reptilian skin became much smoother within a few days after surgery.  My eyes don't feel like there is something stuck in between the lids and the eyes. Also, I think I am sleeping  better and I sure hope this keeps up.   The first night home wasn't a good indicator because I was tired from having them come into the room every two hours so when I got home tues night,  I did sleep pretty well.
     Well, I do  think they got the bad gland out.  I go back in 10 days for a recheck. 

Thank you for your good wishes and crossed fingers!    Very Happy 

xxx,  Nancy

NancyMi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily on Fri May 15, 2015 2:44 pm

Nancy - welcome back - that is such good news!

Yes, it sounds from what you say as if they did get to the right-hand-side problem for you - so pleased!

And that 2.28 Ca is nice and low - my levels were always 2.5+ and I've never had serum Ca as low as it has been post surgery. Just watch out for tingling fingers in case it is goes low - but you know about these things, so you'll be able to monitor it.

So glad you got a good night's sleep on the first night home - that makes such a difference.

Rest up, sleep well and look after yourself, Nancy - and keep us posted.

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum