Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use http://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Where do I have my Op?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Where do I have my Op?

Post by CarolMCotterill on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi, I am almost 73 years old and have recently been diagnosed with primary hyperparathyroidism. As I knew nothing at all about this condition I have scoured the internet for information and have perhaps confused myself even more. Because of my age I feel that I cannot afford to make a wrong decision as to where I have this operation carried out. There are so may different opinions out there and so much information, just what should I do next? I have had the x rays and scans and the final scan will be this week on my neck, my consultant assures me that the operation can be carried out locally but the Norman clinic in Tampa seems to be so much more convincing as to the outcome. I travel to Florida with my family every year so do I just go with them and arrange the operation. I just want the best possible result first time. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has had this operation in Tampa. Also what kind of travel and health insurance did they need as obviously my yearly travel insurance will not cover travelling with the intention of having an operation. I will be so pleased to hear from anyone who has had a similar decision to make.

CarolMCotterill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Where do I have my Op?

Post by Tigerlily on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi Carol - I have replied to your PM - what part of the UK are you in, by the way, and who is your consultant and at which hospital?

There is a list in the Reference Section here of consultants and how many PTH surgeries they have done. You need a very experienced surgeon with this op. Mr Palazzo does around 150 of these surgeries a year, and his colleague does about another 150, so they are v-e-r-y experienced.

But your consultant sounds very confident - and at least they have actually diagnosed you with a primary hyperparathyroidism issue. This is wonderful!! So many of us have struggled to actually get a correct diagnosis!

If you can let us know who your consultant in the UK is, someone here on the forum may have experience of them.

Please see my PM back to you.

Best of Wishes, Tigerlily.

Tigerlily

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:20 pm

How did the scan go Carol ?

Nelly
Hadleigh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolMCotterill on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi, Scan didn't show anything unfortunately so it was recommended that I would need a sestamibi scan. PHoned  Nuclear Medicine today but they have not had a referral. I explained that my appointment to see my consultant was on 10th February and he would need to see this scan. They said it was very unlikely to be done before then. I think I am going to need lots of patience! Thank you for asking, Carol

CarolMCotterill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Negative ultrasound is not unusual and unfortunately sometimes the sestamibi is not much better, I didn't get anything definite showing up on either but with my test results my surgeon was happy to go ahead anyway.
Yes lots of patience required but you will get there in the end, do keep us posted on how things are going.

Good luck

Nelly
Hadleigh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum