Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post-op 5 months. Not what I expected, but there's hope!

+11
Jasmine2
Admin
Meggy
Dieselwrangler
Linny
Rosie11011
Tigerlily
Kathi209
Amanda Lynne
Lucycatnaps
Little Audrey
15 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Post-op 5 months.  Not what I expected, but there's hope! - Page 3 Empty Post-op 5 months. Not what I expected, but there's hope!

Post by Little Audrey Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok, I am finally here to update everyone on my progress 5 months after my surgery.   It has been a very rough 5 months, but I am still hanging in there and praying things will still get better.    A couple of symptoms resolved the day of surgery, others resolved afterward, and some still remain.    I really thought after those 2 tumors were removed, I would be feeling great.   That hasn't happened.

My labs since surgery have revealed a calcium of 10.2 with a PTH of 26.8; calcium of 10.0 with a PTH of 38.0; and a calcium of 10.2 with a PTH of 31.7.    I'm wanting with all my heart to feel I have been cured of this disease, but if Dr. Norman is right in saying adults don't live with calcium in the 10s, something is still wrong here.   My PTH is now half of what it was before surgery, when my calcium was at these same levels, so I hope all is well, but I still wish my calcium wasn't in the 10s!

Before I go any further here, I guess I will finally let you all know the good news I was speaking of yesterday.    The 7-month non-stop twitching of my right upper eyelid has FINALLY stopped!!!!    I also have been having twitching in all other eyelids and all over my face all day long.    At any point of the day, something would be twitching along with the right upper eyelid.    Those facial twitches were also completely gone for 2 days.   Yesterday they started again, but not nearly as frequently.    This is VERY big for me!   I was starting to imagine I had all sorts of diseases due to these twitches.    Now there is hope that SOMETHING is going right in my life!      I still have the intermittent twitches in my upper arms and thighs and nonstop twitches in both lower legs, but since the eyelid and facial twitches have resolved the way they have, at least now I can hope the others will be gone at some point also.       I do have a bit of a concern with this latest improvement though.    I had increased my thyroid medication several days ago.   I am wondering if that might be why the twitches subsided.    The reason I am concerned about this, is because when I increased the thyroid meds, my eyeballs started aching.    This happened once before when I tried to increase the dosage.    So I had to cut back to my regular dosage.    I am hoping it wasn't the extra thyroid medication that caused the twitches to stop, because if that's the case, they might come back now.  : (    

Now I will go through my symptoms and explain where I am with each:

The first symptom to go after surgery was the IBS.  The day after surgery, that was GONE, and that is a biggie for me!    I have suffered with this for about 33 years.

Next to go was the unrelenting running of my nose!    For about a year before surgery, my nose would pour nonstop for several days to a week or more, and I do mean POUR!   I couldn't leave the house when this would happen.    I also had extremely congested sinuses, so bad my teeth would ache.    My ENT doctor suspected the HPT as the cause for all of this.  She told me she had seen some very strange symptoms caused by this disease.    I think she was right on the money, because it was also gone within a couple of days after surgery.

My head had hurt every day to some degree for 3-1/2 straight years.    After surgery it hurt terribly for a couple of months.   It still hurts now, but it's not as painful, and it's not constant.  

I had a lot of trouble for a few years before surgery with an extremely dry left eye upon awakening every morning. It felt as if the eyelid was stuck to the eyeball.  I couldn't open it for about 15 or 20 minutes.     It is no longer like this every morning.   Most mornings I have no trouble at all, and the mornings it is dry, it is not as dry for as long.

My ears had been clogged up for a couple of years, and I'm guessing that is related to all of the added congestion of my head.   My ears are now clear.   I also have had trouble for a few years with my ear canals itching intensely and peeling.   This problem persists.

My neck pain has been 1 of the most painful symptoms.    For 3-1/2 years my neck has been VERY stiff and VERY sore.    At times it will cramp up very hard and stay that way for a couple of months before it will let up.    It will wait a little while and then repeat.    It is very painful to turn my head to either side.   It seems this will be 1 of the last symptoms to resolve.

My shoulders and entire back have been cramping very hard for 3-1/2 years also.     When they do cramp their hardest, it is very painful.  This will last for a few months, and then it will let up some.    I also would get very sharp cramps in my sides every time I would reach for something.    For a couple of weeks now, the severe cramping has stopped.    My back still cramps up when I sit to put on my makeup or when I stand for more than a few minutes, but it's much better than it was!

My upper arms, thighs, and fingers of my left hand have all been very stiff and painful for 3-1/2 years.    My arms and thighs are still very painful, but the fingers will have some good days now.

I had a lot of arthritic-type pain in my thumbs and wrists for a couple of years before parathyroid surgery.    This stopped completely since, except for the arthritis pain in my right thumb, but a few days ago, it all started again.   I think some of the pain in the right thumb is due to aging.     Twelve years ago I did have arthroplasty surgery on my left thumb.   I was hoping that pain was gone for good after that surgery.    I am very disappointed that I am having pain there again.    I guess time will tell if I need more surgery for this problem or it it is being caused from the HPT.

Another VERY painful symptom I've been dealing with is the plantar fasciitis.   I also have severe burning, throbbing pain in the big joints of both little toes.   And I can't forget the pain on the bottoms of my feet.  It feels like I'm walking on golf balls most of the time.    This all started exactly a year ago, and it is still going strong!   Although, I am now able to walk without crutches, so I guess I'm a little better off than I was.   I still have to limp when I walk, but I have noticed a few times I was not limping at all, so hopefully this will continue to improve.   Standing is much harder than walking, even though walking really hurts.  I still can't stand for more than a couple of minutes without needing to find a place to sit down.

My shins and forearms ached a lot before surgery.    The forearms have stopped, and many days the shins don't hurt at all, but they still do hurt a little some days.

The acid reflux is finally improving!     I thought that would never stop!   I was hoping immediately after surgery, when the calcium was supposed to drop, this symptom would resolve.    Since my calcium didn't really drop all that much, I thought it was going to last forever, but it is finally calming down.   I stopped taking all proton pump inhibitors a few months ago when I learned they could cause muscle cramps.   Muscle cramping has been 1 of my worst symptoms, and I didn't want to add to that problem!      I now take Gaviscon on the days that I might get some burning.   Most days I don't take anything.   For several months after surgery, I would have severe burning every time I ate.  It didn't matter what I ate; I would still burn badly.    That doesn't happen anymore.  

My hair had been falling out badly for about a year before surgery.   It continued to fall out for about a month after surgery, and then it stopped.   However, from the looks of the new hair growth after surgery, it looks like the majority of it started to grow back in immediately after surgery.   I know that doesn't make much sense, but my body never makes sense!   Smile 

I had a lot of trouble with ocular migraines before surgery.   The week before surgery, I was having 1 of these things every day.   The day before I left for Tampa, I had 2 of them!    During the 5 months since surgery, I have only had 1.     Quite an improvement!!

My hips and knees used to throb at night when I would try to sleep.   I know, that makes no sense either.    They would ache so badly, I wouldn't be able to sleep.   That is all gone.

For a few years before surgery, I had a lot of trouble with hot flashes.  Yes, you could probably blame some of those on menopause, but I was having a hot flash every 20 or 30 minutes all day and all night long!!     That is 1 heck of a menopause, wouldn't you say?!!     After surgery these greatly diminished.   I now have maybe 1 or 2 most days.  

I'm still not sleeping normally, but I am no longer waking up every darned hour all night long!    Since surgery I have slept for 5 hours straight once and 4 hours straight maybe half a dozen times, but most nights I sleep for 2 or 3 hours at a time.   Still only sleeping about 5 hours total a night, which I am hoping will improve soon, but, hey, 2 or 3 hours at a time is MUCH better than waking up every hour, so I guess I will survive!

My weight is finally starting to come off.  I don't know if this was HPT related or not, but before surgery no matter what I did, the weight just wouldn't budge!    I don't know if this will continue or not, but for a few pounds have recently vanished.

I think this pretty much covers where I am 5 months after surgery.      If I get a chance today I will take a picture of my scar and post that too.   It is barely noticeable now.    The big golf ball-sized lump is completely gone.  That took a few months to go away.   I know they say it is normal to have this bump after surgery and that it will go away in time, but when it's on YOUR neck, I guess it's normal to think it just might not.    It does!  

So even though my journey is not over yet, I am better off than I was before surgery, and if I know if I can keep marching, I will eventually reach my goal of good health again!     And I WILL keep marching!!

Audrey

Last edited by Little Audrey on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:49 pm; edited 3 times in total

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post-op 5 months.  Not what I expected, but there's hope! - Page 3 Empty Re: Post-op 5 months. Not what I expected, but there's hope!

Post by Jasmine2 Tue May 13, 2014 8:05 am

Sincerely hope you have finally found the solution Audrey; you have suffered so much for so long!  Keep us posted.

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post-op 5 months.  Not what I expected, but there's hope! - Page 3 Empty Re: Post-op 5 months. Not what I expected, but there's hope!

Post by Little Audrey Tue May 13, 2014 11:26 am

Thanks, Jasmine. I'm praying this is the final step to a full recovery. We have ALL suffered WAY too much and we all need to be well and feel good again! You have suffered way more than your share! Just think how sweet victory will eventually be!!! Onward, my friend!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucycatnaps Tue May 13, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi Audrey,
Ohh that is such good news to hear, I really hope that the Vit D is the root cause of your lingering symptoms and that the improvement continues permanently.  It must be a wonderful feeling to finally feel a little more human and not have the muscle aches and twitches.  I know you have been through a really rough time, I too need to get my planters and baskets done, have the plants, just waiting for Mr Sun to appear as I am a fair weather gardener!
Sue
Lucycatnaps
Lucycatnaps

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Tue May 13, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks Sue. Yes, I too hope the vitamin D will take care of the rest of my symptoms. I am trying not to get too excited just yet, but the difference I felt after being in the sun for those several hours the other day was very dramatic.

My muscle stiffness, pain, weakness, and twitching all felt really good yesterday, but today they're a little worse. I'm going to make sure I get outside today and sit in the sun for at least half an hour. I am wondering if maybe I need a higher dose of vitamin D than I'm taking. When my doctors prescribed it for me before surgery, the dosage was 50,000 IU twice weekly, which, of course, would be 100,000 IU weely. The vitamin D I picked up at the pharmacy is 5,000 IU, and the bottle says to take 1 daily. That will only be 35,000 IU weekly. I will discuss all of this with my PA the next time I talk to her.

I made an appointment yesterday with my optometrist to see if this problem I'm having with my eyes could possibly be from vitamin D deficiency also or if it is something much more serious. It will be so nice to get this all straightened out and under control.

You mentioned in your recent post that your doctor was discussing with you all of the other conditions and diseases that could cause your levels to be where they are, and it was very scary. Believe me, when I tell you, I have thought of several different diseases that could be causing my muscle twitches and severe weakness, and they are all VERY scary!!! I guess we just have to continue on and take whatever comes our way, but it's not easy, is it?

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Tue May 27, 2014 3:21 pm

Ok, I am FINALLY here and ready to post regarding my optometrist appointment and my latest lab results. I apologize for taking so darned long to do so, but this entire past week had been crazy here, and I have not had much time at all for the computer. We just celebrated Memorial Day here in the US, and we decided to have our family here for the celebration. We are doing a LOT of work outside around the house, and I have been trying to help all I can, even with all of this $#%@#$ pain! I am now in more pain and even more exhausted, but it was really nice having everyone here! I am so looking forward to the day when I can get through a holiday without excruciating heel and foot pain, awful neck pain, and muscle weakness. I would really like to fully enjoy a holiday again! I know you all understand this.

First of all, I would like to share my experience with my optometrist. I told him that I have been having a LOT of trouble with my eyes trying to cross, causing double vision. This is much worse, it seems. when I am especially exhausted. I assumed since the HPT has so greatly affected all of my muscles, it is probably also affecting the muscles of my eyes. He performed the usual tests and found that my eyes are not working properly together. After the ocular alignment test, in which it is necessary to line up the 2 little dots, he's response was, "Oh." I actually started laughing. I wasn't laughing because there was obviously something wrong with my eyes. I was laughing because this man is very serious, and the way he said that just struck me funny. I told him when I take my glasses and wear them diagonally on my face, I can see well. I know this sounds crazy, but it works. Looks VERY silly, but I can see when I do this. He is going to make me some glasses with prisms in the lenses, which he thinks will help with this.

I also told him that for the past few years, since all of the other symptoms of HPT became most severe, my left eye started hurting quite a bit upon awakening every morning. It is so uncomfortable, I am unable to open it for about 20 minutes or so. After hearing so many people complaining of dry eyes with HPT, I just assumed that was what the problem was, but recently when I started experiencing large, cloudy, floaters in that eye, I started to get a little more concerned. He didn't notice anything abnormal during the regular exam, but he wants me to come back this week so he can dilate my pupils and take a better look inside my eye. I will post regarding this after the appointment on Friday.

Now for my latest lab results. It would appear that my calcium has FINALLY dropped below 10 post-surgery. It's not that much below 10 at 9.9, but after previously being at 10.2, 10.0, and 10.2 post-op, I am happy to see it at 9.9. However, my PTH has risen to 42.0, which is the highest it has been since the surgery. Those levels are perfectly acceptable on all of the charts and normograms, so I guess all is well. I did have 2 calcium levels of 9.9 before surgery. Those two calciums were accompanied with PTH levels of 110.0 and 65.6, so my PTH Is now quite a bit lower with the calcium at the same level of 9.9. Still would like to see it lower though!

My vitamin D has dropped to 40. As mentioned in a previous post, I was wondering if all of the muscle weakness I've been dealing with might be due to low vitamin D since I seem to regain strength after spending time in the sun. I started taking vitamin D supplements before I received these latest lab results when I noticed this. I am continuing the supplements.

My magnesium and potassium were both low/normal, so I have started taking magnesium supplements again. I want to discuss this all with my PA soon. She told me a few weeks ago at my last appointment that she would be calling to check on me. She has not yet called.

My RA factor was checked to rule out rheumatoid arthritis. That test was negative.

My sed rate was slightly elevated, which tells us that there is some inflammation somewhere in my body. It is nonspecific, so we are unsure the cause of the inflammation. I would like to add that my sed rate has been elevated for 33 years, ever since I had that terrible allergic reaction with wood stain.

From the other tests with this latest blood draw, it looks like my PA was checking for celiac disease. Those were also negative.

She checked for Sjogren disease, I guess because of my dry eyes and arthritis. That was also negative.

She tested my anti-smooth muscle antibodies. That was normal too.

She did not check my thyroid function this time.

So, it would appear there is nothing wrong with me!!  scratch  If I have been cured of HPT, these symptoms might just be lingering and will take a little longer to resolve, or maybe they're being caused from the Hashimoto disease. If not, I have no idea what is wrong with me!

If I could just get rid of this awful neck pain and stiffness and/or the heel pain, I would feel that things were improving for me! Like I also mentioned in my original post, my IBS symptoms are GONE since surgery; my shins no longer ache constantly; my hair has stopped falling out (although I still have a couple of days here or there when a little extra does fall out); and my head no longer hurts every day. It will hurt every now and then for maybe an hour or 2, but I'm wondering if that is due to the awful neck pain and stiffness. So some of my HPT symptoms have clearly resolved. Hopefully, the rest will too in time. Geez, how much time does it need?!!!!!

Onward I go!!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Tue May 27, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi Audrey

So good to hear your update and to know that you were able to enjoy a family occasion better than you have for some time, even though there are still a few twinges and things to be sorted out.

On the eyesight front, I too have a degree of double vision in one eye which has been diagnosed as a 3rd nerve palsy. What a coincidence! I also have to have prisms in my glasses and they do seem to help. When this 3rd nerve palsy was diagnosed, the eye clinician said that she had no idea how this had come about so late in life, as they are usually diagnosed in childhood. I was on my HPT odyssey at the time and it did cross my mind that this ocular nerve problem might be due to bone changes (as I feel I have had pHPT much longer than anyone else thinks ...) causing "something" to press inappropriately on that nerve, thus causing the eyesight change.

It will be interesting to hear how your next appointment goes, Audrey. Do keep us posted, as eyesight information is so very valuable.

Yes, it sounds as though your Ca and PTH are in the right relationship now, with the calcium falling the PTH will rise some, as this is the inverse relationship that I have read that they have (but the one that no-one else on my HPT radar seems to have agreed with for nearly 3 years ...), when the system is working normally. For comparison, my Ca is now 2.49 but my PTH is 12.7, so something (many things ..) is still amiss with me, I feel.

Good idea to keep taking the Vitamin D supplements, Audrey, and also to get out in the sun as well. You should get the best of both worlds then -
supplemental and natural Vitamin D.

Low magnesium may be the cause of your remaining joint and muscular pain. It's Epsom salts baths for you, m'Dear, after the gardening!! And magnesium is now available in an oil form that you rub straight into aching joints, so you might find that route useful.

This is all still a remarkable improvement, though, Audrey. Your head pain could well be due to the neck stiffness. Or the bones of your skull may have been affected by the pHPT and are taking longer to get themselves re-calcified, perhaps.

What a journey, though! And we have been behind you every step of the way in all your posts, because the detail has been so useful to us onlookers, as yet undiagnosed, or just starting out on the journey.

Great stuff, Girl!!

Love from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Tue May 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi Audrey

Great to hear your update and so glad that some things are looking better for you at last  cheers 

My youngest daughter had to wear glasses with a prism as her eyes weren't working together as they should, something about binocular vision, anyway she wore them for a year or 2 and it corrected itself.

Hopefully your remaining niggles will resolve given a bit more time, as always keep us posted on progress and if you have any spare sunshine can you send it over please  sunny it's cold and raining here  Neutral 

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Wed May 28, 2014 1:16 am

Tigerlily and Nelly, thank you for your kind words. Yes, I am definitely in a better place than I was before surgery. Although, I could do without the new symptoms of muscle twitching, muscle weakness, and tingling in my hands. I didn't plan on getting NEW symptoms after surgery! Oh well, I just keep reminding myself of all the old symptoms that are GONE, and I feel a bit better.  Smile 

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi209 Wed May 28, 2014 2:24 am

Audrey glad to hear your calcium went down 9.9 somehow sounds better then 10. Your eye doc need to look for cataracts, that can be caused  from high calcium. Tigerlily is right lots of Epsom salts in the bath, there is some products online that you spray on your joints that contains mag. they may help. Glad some of your test are normal you don't need anything else. You should ask Angelia on fb about your vision she also has problems with double vision.

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Wed May 28, 2014 3:24 am

Thanks, Kathi. Yes, isn't it funny how much better 9.9 sounds as opposed to 10.0, when they are virtually the same.

Yes, I was thinking the same about cataracts in my case. I wasn't sure if high calcium could cause them, but it made perfect sense. I'm sure that's what my doctor will be checking for on Friday when I go back. It seems that many of us with HPT suffer from double vision, doesn't it? Hmmmm..........maybe another symptom?

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Wed May 28, 2014 7:22 am

Brilliant Audrey I'm so glad it seems to be all heading in the right direction. You so deserve that and I hope you get some answers re sight problems etc.
Lots of love 
Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Wed May 28, 2014 9:40 am

Audrey, that is just brilliant - especially about being able to lose a bit of weight - I'm just about ready for that myself!

It sounds as though your eye expert is taking your eyesight problems seriously, which is good.

We have had our eyes on so many balls (in the air) for so long, it's no wonder we both have double vision!!

Love from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigitte0 Wed May 28, 2014 2:32 pm

I'm so glad things are looking up for you, Audrey. You're getting somewhere (yay!) and that must be uplifting. It sounds as though your eyesight problems are in the process of following the upward trend and I hope that continues and other niggles and irritations push off soon too!

Take care, Love
Brigitte x
Brigitte0
Brigitte0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 28, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi Audrey,

I am so pleased for you and the fact that those horrible Parathyroid symptoms are slowly going, i suppose everyone's recovery is individual. I wish you all the best in your recovery process, you sound like one tough lady! 

Take care
Mealinacup

Back to top Go down

Post by lozza Wed May 28, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi Audrey,
 i agree with everyone this is amazing and thank you for going through all your symptoms, I think many of us will also recognize many of these.

It is amazing that with time the body will start to heal, it also shows what an impact pth problem has. Medical people should also do research in the changes of symptoms pre and post surgery.

You have been through loads and i send a big hug,

best wishes

Lozza Very Happy

lozza

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Wed May 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Thank you all so much! It is so nice to know so many people care! As we all know, when we are going through this very long ordeal, many people just don't understand what we are going through and just how much we are suffering. I feels so darned good to know there are people who do understand! Love you all!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:04 am

Just wanted to mention my appointment this past Friday with my optometrist.   As you are probably all aware, I have been having trouble with a VERY dry, painful, left eye when I awake in the morning.  I can't open it for 15 or 20 minutes.    This has been going on for 3-1/2 years now since most of the other HPT symptoms arose.    Since my parathyroid surgery in November, this problem hasn't seemed to be quite as bad.   Some mornings it doesn't hurt at all now.    I've also been having a lot of trouble with both eyes feeling like they're crossing very often, causing double vision.   This is much worse when I am tired.   For over a month now, I've been having some trouble with large, cloudy, floating things in my left eye.   Can't think of a better way to explain this.   It causes my vision to be very blurry over part of  that darned eye.   This is not constant, but happens quite often during the day, and seems to be more and more frequent.     So I decided it was time to get to the optometrist to see what the heck was going on with my eyes!

I am still not too sure about his diagnosis, and before I do anything else, I will be going for a second opinion!   Let me tell you why.    He had examined my eyes last week, but asked me to come back this past Friday to have my pupils dilated so he could get a better look.  He thoroughly examined each eye on Friday and told me he didn't see anything at all abnormal with either eye.   I asked him if we could expect those large, floating, cloudy things to just resolve without any treatment then.   Then he said, "Hmm... let me take another look."   He performed the exact same test he did the first time and then said, "Well, you DO have little cataracts in both eyes."   ??????     Maybe I'M not the one having trouble with my vision!!    How did he not see ANYTHING abnormal the first time he performed the exam, but then find cataracts when he repeated the test?!    

It was a rather strange visit.   While he was performing part of the exam, he was sitting directly in front of me looking into his equipment, which I was also looking into from the other side.    He told me to look to my left.   I did.   Then he acted rather upset with me and said, "To your LEFT!  That's not your LEFT!"    Then he held up his finger to my left (where I was looking!!) and said, "This is your LEFT!"  What the heck?!!   Did he really think I did not know my left from my right?!!    Mad  I told him that's where I was looking!   He just mumbled something and told me again to look to my left, at his finger!     He acted very strangely this day!

The first time he put the drops into my eyes to dilate my pupils, he said the right eye was not dilating as quickly as the left.   He had to put more drops into the right eye.   We waited several more minutes, and he said the right eye STILL was not dilated enough.   He said sometimes the drops run out of the eyes, so the pupils don't dilate.    I told him I didn't notice anything running out.  He didn't say anything.   So he put MORE drops in the right eye.   This time as soon as he squirted the drops into my eye, the stuff ran right out and down the side of my face.   I had a tissue in my hand, which he had give me earlier, so I wiped it off.  Then I told him it had run down my face.   He said, "No, it didn't."     Again, what the heck?!!!     Did he think I didn't know when something wet was running down my face, causing my face to be all wet?!  

I have been seeing this particular doctor for years for my yearly eye exams.  He has never acted this badly.

Oh, I have something else funny to tell about him.    Several years ago, I developed a skin tag on my eyelid.   I get a lot of skin tags.   Many years ago I had many of them removed by a dermatologist.  I started thinking how stupid it was to pay someone to do that, when I could probably cut them off myself.   So that's what I started doing.    When I got the one on my eyelid, I figured I would ask for professional help, because I really didn't want to be cutting on my eyelid.   So when I went for my eye appointment, I told this doctor I had a skin tag on my eyelid, and I asked him if he would remove it for me.   He looked at it and said, "That's not a skin tag."   I said, "Sure it is."    Understand, I had had over 50 of these things by this time.  I KNEW what they looked like!!!   He said, "No, it's not a skin tag, but I'm not sure what it is."     He told me if I wanted to see a surgeon, I could get it removed.   I left his office and decided to just let the darned thing go and do nothing about it just yet.    The following year, I went back to him for my annual exam.   He looked at my eyes and said, "Well, it looks like you've got a nice skin tag there on your eyelid."    Shocked      Again, what the heck?!!      He again suggested I see a surgeon to have it removed.     I came home that day, took my little scissors, and cut it off myself!     I am so very tired of doctors!!!

So, anyway,  he told me on Friday that I will be needing to see a surgeon for the cataracts in the fall.   REALLY??!!!    Like I said, I will be going for a second opinion before I do ANYTHING!     I am seriously wondering if this poor man is losing his mind!

Audrey

Last edited by Little Audrey on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi209 Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:32 am

Where is everyone finding these doc's , it would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I would go to a eye surgeon because they'll get to the bottom of it before they do surgery. My mother in law has cataracts but they are not mature enough to be removed. You have had phpt for a long time and it can cause cataracts. Good luck on that keep us posted on second opinion.

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:44 am

Oh Audrey I despair the man has lost his mind. Please get a second opinion you can't trust anything he has said.
Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:21 am

Audrey - what a story.

I agree with Amanda, this man has serious problems of his own.
I would get a second opinion now.
Please don't commit yourself to any treatment that comes under his care.

These things happen. We know how strange we can be ourselves sometimes with this illness, and there is a tendency to think that professionals are not affected by health disorders in the same way. But I think this man is suffering from something, otherwise he would not be so irritable with patients he has seen for years.

Heed your instincts, m'Dear!

Love from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigitte0 Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:54 am

Audrey, what a story! I agree with everyone else and think you need to find yourself a new optometrist! I certainly wouldn't trust what he said until you get a second opinion. 

Good luck with finding another and getting an appointment. 

Love 
Brigitte x
Brigitte0
Brigitte0

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:31 am

Sounds like your appointment was after he had enjoyed a liquid lunch !
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:19 am

Yes, when I think about it, it actually was funny! He was really annoying me, but his behavior was so unbelievable it was funny. When he did the finger thing, I thought at first he was joking, but he wasn't. He was very agitated with me!

That's funny, Edwin! Yes, that is exactly how he was acting. I think he is in his mid 60s. I am seriously wondering if he is having some sort of serious mental issues. It's actually scary, and I feel badly for him, but I really don't want to have to go through that every time I need help with my eyes!

I will be looking for a new optometrist!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:30 am

Can't remember if I posted this or not yet, but I don't think I did. I made an appointment with a neurologist to get his opinion on my muscle twitches and muscle weakness. Unfortunately, he can't see me until August 14th, so I guess I'll have to go the entire summer wondering what the heck is wrong with me.

I also made an appointment with my PA for next week. I have been wondering for some time if I could possibly have a pituitary problem. I am going to discuss this with her. I have been thinking maybe Cushing Disease. I was checking it out on the internet, and all the symptoms fit perfectly. I am anxious to hear what she will have to say about this. I know it will mean more testing, but I need to know.

Getting so tired of all of the appointments, but I don't guess we have much choice, do we?

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:03 pm

Sorry you'll have to wait so long, Audrey, but you can do a lot of research in that time.

It's a good thought about the pituitary. I still think I might also have a problem there, although it was ruled out by Dr Levy.

A small adenoma (like the HPT ones) on the pituitary within the pituitary fossa could press on some of the cranial nerves passing through the fossa and in my own view could perhaps cause facial nerves to produce twitches, neuralgias, eye movement issues and trigeminal nerve problems. It's usually a simple operation to remove such an adenoma if there is one.

Have a look at the pages entitled (1) Pituitary Adenoma and (2) Cranial Nerves on the site
www.patient.co.uk (the professional pages have more information than those intended for the poor patient!).
I got a lot of useful information there and also from the Mayo Clinic's information section on their website.

Don't want to worry you about this, Audrey, but I always thought of you with a possible pituitary issue.
Hope your PA discussion goes well and it gets ruled out, but a CT or MRI scan of the head would be good to rule it out for definite. (I may have to ask also for one of those with this jaw swelling, if nothing shows up on the ultrasound scan on Wednesday.)

Keep in touch - Love from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next