Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Palpitations

+3
Amanda Lynne
Jasmine2
mel123
7 posters

Go down

Palpitations Empty Palpitations

Post by mel123 Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Happy Easter everyone

Around December / January I was suffering a lot with palpitations and anxiety which seemed to stop as quickly as it came. For the last two weeks it seems to have come back and its fairly regular, how do others cope with these symptoms?

Any help will be grateful received. 

Thanks 

mel Laughing

mel123

Back to top Go down

Palpitations Empty Re: Palpitations

Post by Jasmine2 Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi Mel, Happy Easter to you too!

Sorry to hear you're having these symptoms, thankfully palpitations is not a symptom I've suffered with but I can imagine it to be scary and uncomfortable!  All I can say is that in my experience, although I've suffered most of the known symptoms, I mostly don't get them all at the same time, and they come and go, so that I will suffer something for a few days, weeks or months then as that eases off I will get something else to take its place.  Sounds like you might be in this pattern too with your palpitations? Hopefully it will ease off for you again soon and in the meantime someone might be able to share their experience with you and how they cope with it. I do get angina where my chest gets painful and tight and I feel breathless and when I have an attack I try to deal with the anxiety of it by laying down or relaxing in a chair, focusing on my breathing, thinking calm thoughts and bringing my breathing under control etc until the attack has passed. Sometimes I listen to a relaxation/meditation CD.  Not sure if this is the same for palpitations? If all else fails you could consider talking to your GP about how to manage it - maybe anti anxiety meds? Although I know many of us try to avoid too many medications, me included, especially as we have so many different symptoms to put up with.

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi Mel
I've suffered quite a lot with this but as I also have problems with iron and have to have infusions I'm never quite sure if it's PTH related or iron.
I do know that when my vit d is raised either with tablets or sunlight I seem go get it a lot more, I presume that's because it pushes my calcium up. When I get it it can last for hours at a time and go on for weeks.
I've avoided any medication for it but other people do find it helps, it may be worth you seeing GP and getting your calcium checked just to make sure it's not gone really high and see what they advise.
Hope it soon goes and you feel better.
Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Meggy Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:34 pm

It was getting palpitations that made me go to the gp in the first place where they found my raised calcium levels, they did an ecg and once I knew that was ok I didn't worry so much when I had a "turn", just made sure I could sit down if I needed to as they make me very dizzy.

Meggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Meggy Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Sorry, posted half way through - I would ask for a check ecg to put your mind at rest as anxiety doesn't help - it's a bit of a chicken & egg scenario; the palpitations make you panic and the panic increases the palpitations. Mine very much go in fits and starts so hopefully yours won't go on for too long.

Meggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:14 pm

If your palpitations are the feeling of a heavy heartbeat at the normal rate and not variations in your heart-rate, then whatever is causing it is probably not heart-related.

Stress is a classic cause, but there are many other possibilities.

Have a look at this page for some suggestions:
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hpl/causes.html

Edwin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mel123 Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi and thank you for all of your replies.

After your comments I think I will speak to my GP, apparently she is ringing me on Friday to see how I am getting on.

While having a bone scan I filled out a health questionnaire which asked lots of questions but one of them was do you have crohns, ulcerative colitis or other IBD (I have ulcerative colitis) next question was have you used Prednisolone or another medicine (can`t remember the name of that one), I have been using Prednisolone for three weeks now and it seems to be working. I wrote to my GP (could not get an appointment) to ask if it was okay to carry on taking Prednisolone as it obviously could cause problems with bone density.  Message through receptionist was okay to carry on but GP would ring me on Friday to see how i`m getting on!! 

So going back to palpitations I will mention this when or if she  rings.

Thanks again

Mel

mel123

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:51 am

Happy Easter, Mel! It's 8:44 here in the US right now, my family has gone from our Easter celebration, and I am just now getting the chance to check my email and forum posts.

I have had a lot of heart palpitations over the past few years. They are VERY scary! My heart thumps around at all uneven beats. It feels like it's going to pop out of my chest. I recently had an ecg done. I also had a 24-hour heart monitor test done. It was revealed that I have a stiff aortic valve, which they thought was causing my slightly elevated blood pressure. I know I do have a slight heart murmur too, but it's nothing serious. Many people have this. Of course when I had the ecg and the 24-hour heart monitor test performed, I had no palpitations! So I am not sure what the tests actually proved.  Smile  I haven't had any for about a month or so now. Maybe I'm finished with them? Like so many things, time will tell.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Adele2 Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Hi Mel,

Like  others here, Easter held me back from being on this site. I hope yours was a good one, despite the troubles you're having.

May I ask if you've been out in the sun more since the palpitations began, and/or if you're diet is rich in Vit D foods, or if you're taking Vit D ?
I ask because on other forums and med. papers I've read, Vit D may be a culprit in palpitations, as can steroids, which Prednisone is one.

Either way, it would be helpful if you jotted down your sun/Vit D intake, along with your meds and if there's a correlation between those and when you get the palpitations. That way, when you speak to your GP, you can give her the info.

I wrote a bit about my ordeal with Vit D and how I got scary heart palpitations after taking it. Never had that symptom before.

This dreadful disease, and all it's strange symptoms!!!

Do get well soon, and please let us know how you get on, okay?

Sending prayers and hugs your way.

Adele

Adele2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down