Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use http://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Is this gallbladder or HPTH?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is this gallbladder or HPTH?

Post by Lucycatnaps on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi to everyone,
As part of my GP investigations for HPTH, I was sent for an abdominal U/S.  It came back as showing I have a large gallstone.  I have had no pain or symptoms and my GP said it is classed as silent and many people have them.  However over the last few weeks I have noticed my "motions" are getting lighter in colour and am wondering if the stone is now starting to block the bile duct or is this common with HPTH?  I don't have any right sided pain but do get a dull ache under my left shoulder blade at times.  I think I read that Johnny had weird poo and checked the old forum but no mention of pale poo.  Has anyone else had lighter than normal?
Thanks in advance,
Sue
Lucycatnaps

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is this gallbladder or HPTH?

Post by Jasmine2 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Sue, I had gallstones too three years ago found on ultrasound but I had several episodes of the most excruciating abdominal pain.  Had my gall bladder removed.  Pale, chalky stools are synonymous with gallstones I believe, although I can't remember if I had that, I only remember the pain ......

Generally, gallstones are not associated with PT disease as they aren't made of calcium or oxalate, but I have heard of a lot of people with PHPT who have also had gallstones so who knows .....?  Collectively, we suffer a whole lot of weird symptoms which aren't in the text books but we all have them in common ....

Jasmine x
Jasmine2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi Sue
Sorry to hear of this new development and I can't help much except to say that I have read that shoulder pain can be referred pain from a gallstone. I have had shoulder pain (specifically in the tip of my shoulders) for some time and have just had a gallbladder polyp diagnosed on ultrasound. Perhaps this might indicate that the shoulder pain is definitely from the gallstone, but that the lighter poo may be incidental? 

Hopefully someone else will chip in who can help further.

Do I recall correctly that you are in East Anglia, Sue? I'm in Sudbury. May I ask which hospital you go to and which endo you see?

Love from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucycatnaps on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi ladies and thanks for the replies,
I had a feeling that it probably wasn't HPTH related, so I guess I will have to try and see my doctor again, I was going to try and get another set of bloods done this week anyway in readiness for next months endo appt.  I suspect until it causes me pain that it will be watch and wait.  I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this.
I guess I am an ideal candidate, female and well padded since my thyroid went pear shaped.  I gained two stone and never shifted it, although I do exercise and try to eat healthily the scales always stay the same.  I'm in Boston Lincs, the same as Meggy although I think she saw a different endo than the one I am waiting to see at our local Pilgrim Hospital.
Sue
Lucycatnaps

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:37 pm

Cheers, Sue - you're a bit further up the map from us here - sorry, got it wrong.

I also gained 2 stone about 6 years ago and have never shifted it and my weight never seems to waver from that level either, which I find strange.

Onward we go!

Love from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Sorry to hear, Sue. I've never had gall stones. My sister did have her gall bladder removed a few years ago. I don't know how that missed me, as I seem to get hit with so many darned things in our family.
Yes, it sounds like many with HPT suffer from these things. I think we need to rewrite the book of hyperparathyroidism and its symptoms!

Audrey

Little Audrey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:01 pm

@Tigerlily wrote:Cheers, Sue - you're a bit further up the map from us here - sorry, got it wrong.

I also gained 2 stone about 6 years ago and have never shifted it and my weight never seems to waver from that level either, which I find strange.

Onward we go!

Love from Tigerlily xx

Hi Tigerlily

For your info, weight gain is one of the many Hypothyroid symptoms, although it does not affect all Hypothyroid sufferers.

Edwin
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Just wondering if you are put on medication for hypothyroid does this stop you from gaining more weight or are you still likely to do that.
A xxxx
Amanda Lynne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:46 pm

Good question Amanda - I could really use a valid excuse ..... Lol  Laughing
Jasmine2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks, Edwin - that all seems to fit in with my history.

Love Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:11 pm

@Amanda Lynne wrote:Just wondering if you are put on medication for hypothyroid does this stop you from gaining more weight or are you still likely to do that.
A xxxx

Not sure if there is a simple answer to this.

Neither Nelly nor I gained weight being hypothyroid and neither of us lost weight on thyroid medication.

This suggests that there are other factors involved.

Edwin
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:21 pm

Thyroid medication seems to help some with the weight and not others. I am on medication, but still have to be very careful not to gain. I do think since my parathyroid surgery, it seems just a bit easier to keep the weight off.

Audrey

Little Audrey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum