Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thyroid Help!

2 posters

Go down

Thyroid Help! Empty Thyroid Help!

Post by Lucie83 Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi All

I know this is a PTH Forum but I also know there is lots of Thyroid knowledge on here also.

I find the whole Thyroid thing confusing! I'm told by a GP I need my levels tested every 6 months as my Mum is Hyperthyroid, my levels may as we'll be written in Japanese as they confuse the hell out of me. I've suffered Thyroid symptoms for years, tonight I had about 2hrs of feeling my insides went hyper but all I wanted to do was sleep, to the point where it felt that my body had gone to sleep. This may be a silly question, but can your Thyroid Gland swell up from time to time? I'm always told I have a Goitre but U/S always says normal. I had a Thyroid Antibody test last year but I was told it wasn't really relevant  Rolling Eyes  Had my PTH levels tested this week which came back normal. I'm convinced my Thyroid is to blame for how I've been feeling. 

Very very confused  Shocked 

Thank You

Lucie83

Back to top Go down

Thyroid Help! Empty Re: Thyroid Help!

Post by Hadleigh Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:05 pm

Lucie what were your antibody results ? They are important in showing if you have an autoimmune thyroid problem, it doesn't make a difference in treatment but its handy to know.

If you had Hashimotos form (autoimmune)of hypothyroidism that would cause swings from hyper to hypo, the thyroid swells in response to antibody activity and is slowly destroyed, in between these hyper attacks you would be hypo.

If your mum has Graves disease which is autoimmune then it is possible you have thyroid disease of some type but it may take many years for it to get to the stage of being diagnosed.

Post your results if you would like us to take a look at them.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucie83 Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:08 pm

Hi Nelly

Thanks for your response. I think I posted these on here back in August, can I copy and paste them from my profile? Sorry, I'm not quite clued up on the Forum yet.

Thanks

Lucie83

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucie83 Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi

I just found the results.

FT4: 13.8 (Range 9.0-19.0 pmol/L)
FT3: Not Tested
TSH: 1.97 (Range 0.400-3.50 mIU/L)
TgAb: 2.6 (Range <4.1 kIU/L)
Anti-TPO Antibody <5.6 (Range <5.6 kIU/L)

I also have a weak positive ANA as told by Endo I see last Apr.

Thanks

Lucie83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:52 pm

The weak pos ANA could indicate an autoimmune disease, hashi and graves being 2 such diseases, the other antibody tests look ok, BUT having antibodies doesn't automatically mean they will cause a problem.

Your thyroid results are not perfect, T4 is low, should ideally be in the upper half of the range, TSH would be better a little lower, shame they didn't do T3 as that tells us how much active thyroid hormone you have. 

As you already know it is difficult to get a diagnosis until levels are well out of range, some doctors will not treat until TSH is above 10 by which time the patient is struggling to survive.

With your levels where they are now you have about 0 chance of any doc agreeing you have a thyroid problem, you need to have regular tests to see if your levels change, if TSH keeps increasing then have evidence that there is a problem.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucie83 Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Thank you Nelly.

These are my latest results :

May 2014:
TSH: 1.29 (Range 0.27-4.20)
No FT3 or FT4

August:
TSH: 1.26 (Range 0.4-4.0)
FT4: 18.6 (Range 12.0-22.0)

Xx

Lucie83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:29 pm

The Aug ones look good as T4 is higher and TSH lower. Levels will naturally fluctuate from test to test so unless they are out of range it is difficult to get a diagnosis.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucie83 Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Thank you Nelly, really appreciated. I just find Thyroid so confusing and whether levels fluctuate naturally or whether that happens with an abnormal Thyroid.

Thank you

Lucie83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Levels fluctuate throughout the day for everyone, tsh is at its highest early in the morning and will change during the day. Plus depending on the amount of activity, the pituitary will ask the thyroid for more t4 if the body needs more energy. This is where people like me with no thyroid come unstuck as we cannot produce more t4 when needed Neutral

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucie83 Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:19 pm

Thanks Nelly. You make it sound so simple  :-)

I came across all thyroid levels do date,  if I post them all, could I have your input on them by any chance? I'm going to have a chat win my GP and just want to try and get a better understanding. Suffering with some tight neck muscles today giving me some head pains... Grrrrrr!

Thank you

Lucie83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Im happy to take a look at your thyroid numbers, I seem to remember you were diagnosed as subclinical ? 

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucie83 Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks Nelly, here goes:

Sep 2013:
FT4 - 16.9 (Range 9.0-19.0)
TSH - 0.520 (Range 0.400-3.50)

Nov 2013:
FT4 - 13.6 (Range 9.0-19.0)
FT3 - 4.2 (Range 2.6-6.0)
TSH - 1.29 

16th Jan 2014:
FT4 - 13.8 (Range 9.0-19.0)
No FT3
TSH - 1.97 (Range 0.400-3.50)
Positive ANA
Anti-TPO - <5.6 (Range <5.6)

30th Jan 2014:
FT4 - 20.1 (Range 12.0-22.0)
TSH - 1.00 (Range 0.4-4.0)

May 2014:
TSH - 1.29 (Range 0.27-4.20)
Free Thyroxine - 16.7 (Range 12.0-22.0)

August 2014:
FT4 - 18.6 (Range 12.0-22.0)
TSH - 1.26 (Range 0.4-4.0)

That's all Thyroid tests to date that I have copies of. I haven't been told anything with regards to Thyroid but just to have it checked every 6 months.

Thanks Nelly

Lucie83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:50 pm

Not sure why I thought you were possibly subclinical, brain fade scratch

Well apart from a dip in T4 Nov 13 and Jan 14 the others look ok, the tsh of 1.97 is a perhaps a little higher than ideal but no doctor would look twice at it as it is well in range, the positive ANA could indicate something is happening slowly but it may never turn into anything that needs treatment.

The big problem for all of us is that doctors are obsessed with "ranges" and they have no interest in symptoms if we are in "range". The ranges actually mean very little as they are taken from the healthy general population so age, medical history and symptoms don't come in to it, if we are in "range" then there is nothing wrong with us Evil or Very Mad

All you can do for now is keep a check on thyroid levels, if you can get T3 tested now and again it would be useful to add to the history. You could also ask at some point to have your antibodies checked again just to see if anything shows but on the whole you either have them or not.

Hope that helps.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucie83 Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks Nelly. 

I agree, all I can do is get regular testing. I think if I ask for Thyroid testing again they might say wait until Feb as it was only done in August. I'm only 31 and I think that goes against me sometimes, my symptoms are always written off, those ranges might not be good enough for me!

My body is feeling very heavy today, like I had legs of lead! Does anyone have cold feet even if the rest of your body is warm? Noticed that a lot lately, I can have socks and slippers on and my feet are cold?

Thanks

Lucie83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Felling the cold is a thyroid symptom, it is often an inner coldness as well as feet and hands. 

Your age shouldn't be a factor as thyroid disease affects all ages, I was diagnosed with Graves in my early teens but it had started when I was about 12, my younger sister also had Graves in her teens but my older sister went hypo in her 50's. Many older people are diagnosed with hypothyroidism, usually age related rather than the autoimmune type.

Testing every 6 months is fine, more often doesn't really give any more info as thyroid changes are usually quite slow and if done to often the normal fluctuations can be misleading.

Keep plodding on, we all understand how difficult and frustrating it gets but its all we can do Smile

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucie83 Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:12 pm

Thanks again Nelly, your input definitely helps.

Been feeling for myself the past couple of days, lead weight body, headache, nauseous and just feeling absolutely blerghhh but can feel my heart pounding and I'm sure I woke myself up twice last night feeling jumpy! 

Tomorrow is a new day, along we all plod

Lucie x

Lucie83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down