Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Difficulty swallowing after parathyroid surgery

2 posters

Go down

Difficulty swallowing after parathyroid surgery Empty Difficulty swallowing after parathyroid surgery

Post by Barb Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:30 am

I had parathyroid surgery 5 weeks ago, and my one affected parathyroid was successfully removed. I was fortunate not to be aware of any symptoms before the op, and made a swift recovery, feeling well again a day or so after the op. However about 10 days after the op, I started to have a bit of discomfort on swallowing which has got a bit worse with time. I don't have a problem actually swallowing food and drink. It just feels very strange - I'm conscious of the movement in my throat on swallowing. My voice isn't affected. I have to clear my throat a bit more often. I saw the GP about it yesterday, partly because I am concerned that this might delay another op I am waiting for - mitral valve surgery scheduled for 2nd August. She seemed to think it might be scar tissue, and is contacting the hospital to see if my post-op appointment due on 29th July can be brought forward. Has anyone experienced a similar problem with swallowing?

Barb

Back to top Go down

Difficulty swallowing after parathyroid surgery Empty Re: Difficulty swallowing after parathyroid surgery

Post by Hadleigh Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Hello Barb

Gosh you were lucky not to have any symptoms pre op and to recover so quickly afterwards. Five weeks is still quite early days in your recovery, everything takes time to settle. I had a very tight feeling in one area which I only felt when swallowing or moving my head to certain positions, it did settle after a while although I'm still aware of something different but I have had 2 neck ops so lots of scar issues going on.
Hopefully you haven't developed any problems that delay your next op but definitely it should be looked into, I hope your post op appt goes well.
Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Difficulty swallowing after parathyroid surgery Empty Re: Difficulty swallowing after parathyroid surgery

Post by Barb Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:30 pm

Thank you Nelly. I know I've been lucky not to have visible symptoms. Or for the mitral valve either, which makes all these ops seem somewhat unreal as I don't feel ill, but I know i need them. I have now got a post parathyroid op appointment for next week, rather than the week after., so that's good.

Barb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down