Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Malicious File Download Attack from Adverts

2 posters

Go down

Possible Malicious File Download Attack from Adverts Empty Possible Malicious File Download Attack from Adverts

Post by Admin Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:39 pm

On Mr & Mrs Admin's 'puter, Norton Internet Security is reporting a malicious file download attack when I go to our forum's home page to log-in.

I believe that this is coming from one or more adverts and may (or may not) be linked to the iPad redirection issue.

I have raised this with the Forumotion support folks and will post an update when I have an answer.

They owe me answers on this, the iPad redirection issue and the disappearing reply posts (which I am still pursuing with them).

Edwin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Possible Malicious File Download Attack from Adverts Empty Re: Possible Malicious File Download Attack from Adverts

Post by Jasmine2 Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:34 pm

It's driving me nuts Edwin, I've been trying all evening to log in on the iPad but it just keeps jumping straight to Texas Holdem!!!!!! I've been successful this time but don't know how long it will last. Interestingly, it doesn't happen when in the mobile version.  I found this out when, in desperation, I cleared all cookies and data in my settings then when I tried to get on again it took me to mobile version, but of course I could only browse and not post in that version as I couldn't log in.

Hope you get some answers soon from the forum guys, Edwin, and thanks for trying to sort it out.

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Possible Malicious File Download Attack from Adverts Empty Re: Possible Malicious File Download Attack from Adverts

Post by Admin Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi Jasmine

When I looked on the internet at Apple support forums, apparently, there is no solution.
It seems that Apple devices have this issue which is caused by the use of Javascript in some adverts.  You can switch-off Javascript in your browser, but you will miss-out on web page functionality.

Have you tried going directly to the login page: http://www.hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/login

This enabled me to login to the forum without the malicious download redirection attempt.

Although we are seeing different things on my PC and your iPad, I believe that they are both related to the adverts.

Edwin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:24 pm

Well, after wading through a myriad of posts on the subject on various Apple support forums (fori ?) I came across one in reply from an Apple support technician who said to do the following:

On the iPad, go into settings, then Safari, click on clear all history, cookies and data, then:

Block cookies, change from 'third party sites ' to 'never'

I've done all this and ssshhhhh .... in a whisper, so far so good!  But time will tell.  

I'm not sure what the implications are of blocking cookies as I'm a bit of a techno dunce so hopefully I haven't impeded any functionality, as would have been the case, I understand, when disabling JavaScript?  I dunno ... It's all Greek to me ......
Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks for this Jasmine.

Blocking cookies has advantages and disadvantages.

The main advantage is that it makes it more difficult for your web browsing history to be tracked by the numerous advert servers who rely on this information to select which adverts to show you.

The main disadvantage is that your preferences for websites will not be stored and you have to start from scratch each time you return to websites.

Some web browsers allow you to block third-party cookies, which is a useful compromise.

I still do not have an answer from Forumotion and I suspect that they will struggle with this, because they have no control over the adverts, which are from Google.

Edwin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum