Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Little Disappointed With The Little Nutty Nephro : (

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A Little Disappointed With The Little Nutty Nephro  : ( - Page 2 Empty A Little Disappointed With The Little Nutty Nephro : (

Post by Little Audrey Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

I saw my nephrologist 3 days ago for my regular appointment.    I had been very happy with this man up until this point.    I think part of the problem is that I am now relying on him for advice on several different issues, which are not his specialty.    I keep reminding myself that as intelligent as he is, he is still a nephrologist.

As mentioned in a previous post on another thread here, he did agree to write a script for the Nature-throid that I requested.   He was a bit reluctant since he feels my thyroid levels are looking good, but he eventually agreed to it.   I am VERY happy about this.   I requested the Nature-throid because it has less fillers and binders than Armour, which I currently take, and I have a very sensitive body!

I asked the nephro if there was any possible chance my kidneys are not producing adequate amounts of renin due to my iron deficiency.   I told him I recently learned that low iron affects the production of various enzymes in the body.   He told me that I would have to have severe anemia for this to happen.    We'll see.    If my iron is repleted, and my renin increases, we'll know an iron deficiency can also keep the body from producing adequate amounts of enzymes and not just severe anemia.

The doctor was not happy with my 3200 mL urine output during my last 24-hour urine test.   If I'm not mistaken, I think a normal amount goes up to 2500.    I told him I have had four 24-hour urine tests so far, and the volume is always way over the limit, because I drink a LOT Of water.   I told him I drink 8-10 eight-ounce glasses daily.  I thought this was normal.     He told me that that is way too much fluid, and I needed to cut back.  He told me that the kidneys cannot deal with that much fluid.    He said that might be why I have so much edema.    Now, I have always heard that if the body is deprived of water, it will tend to hold onto it, causing edema.     So in order to avoid that problem, you need to drink a lot of water.     He told me we do need about 8 eight-ounces of fluid a day, but that includes ALL fluid, not just water.   I told him I don't drink coffee or tea.  All I drink is water, 1 glasses of milk a day, and once a week as a treat, I drink a 9-ounce can of orange soda.     He told me to cut back my water intake by 2 glasses.    So that is what I'm doing.    He also told me to increase my diuretic dose by another pill.    So I'm now taking 3 pills daily.    He told me this should take care of my edema.      Well, he might know what he's talking about.    The scale has been dropping a pound a day for the past 3 days.   And, believe me, this is a LOT of weight loss for me!!     I had gained 8 pounds in a couple of months.    I thought it was from the thyroid.    It might be from the edema, but the edema could also be due to the thyroid.    If I would stop taking the diuretics, the edema would probably return.    I'm hoping once we get the thyroid straightened out, the edema will resolve.

I told the nephro that I started taking 2 diuretic tablets a day instead of 3.  He had suggested at my last appointment that I take 3.  I told him I did this because I was having a lot of cramps in my feet and legs.   He just rolled his eyes.  He's getting to know me well.   Smile 

I told him I also started taking a potassium tablet again every day because of this cramping, and that I waited until I saw my potassium level on my most recent lab results.    He just shook his head and smiled.   He was ok with this too.

I told the doctor about this horrible hip, tailbone, thigh, and knee pain I've been dealing with, which started the day I started taking the iron tablets and vitamin C.   I asked him if the iron could have caused this.    I was surprised by his reaction.   He leaned back a bit and laughed.   He said he never heard of iron causing joint pain.    I didn't think that question deserved a laugh.    Maybe the iron itself did not cause the problem, but maybe something else in the iron tablet might have?     I didn't think that was so far-fetched.

I might add here that the receptionist at this office told me months ago that this doctor always double books every appointment.   In other words, he books 2 people for 10:00, 2 people for 10:15, etc.     She informed me at this appointment that he is now TRIPLE booking every appointment!!!     Any idea how angry patients get when he does this, and the are stuck there for a few hours waiting to be seen?!!!      I myself will NOT wait longer than 1 hour to be seen, and if it takes 1 hour, I will let them know how upset I am!    I have a life too.   I have plans too.   There is a reason we make appointments for certain times.   It's not just for the doctors' convenience!  If there IS an emergency, that's a different story, but if not, there is no excuse for this!      At this particular appointment, I only had to wait about half an hour to be seen.   I think that is acceptable.   When I was called in for my appointment, there were 4 other people waiting to be seen.    He is the only doctor who works in this office on this day.   So they were all waiting for him!

And here is where things REALLY went south!!!    His cell phone rang about 5 minutes into my appointment.   I was VERY surprised when he answered it right in the middle of our conversation!!    I could hear a woman on the other end of the line.    It sounded like she was asking the doctor about a patient.   I don't know if she was a doctor or just a patient's mother or wife, etc.    He kept repeating his answers, so I guess she was repeating her questions.    I just sat there, wondering when he would get off the phone so I could finish my appointment and leave.     I am not exaggerating here; he talked for at least 20 minutes to this woman!!!    Oh, and here's the really good part.  She put him on hold after about 15 minutes.    I heard her say something, he said, "Ok," and everything went silent for about 2 minutes.   At this time, I looked at him and said, "Can I leave?"    I was VERY upset about this!    He just sort of laughed when I asked that.   I guess he thought I was joking.   I wasn't.   I didn't see the sense in sitting there any longer while he carried on a conversation with someone else.   And I kept thinking about all of those people sitting out in the waiting area!     I knew they would all think it was ME holding things up!!     The woman came back on the phone again, and she must have said something to the doctor about taking up his time.  The doctor's reply was, "Oh, that's ok,  I'm here at the office."    REALLY????!!!!!     Yes, he was in his office, but he was right in the middle of an appointment, and this did not sound like an emergency call.    I would think he could have called her back between appointments or maybe AFTER all of the appointments were taken care of!!     As soon as he hung up the phone, he closed my folder, and started to stand up.    I had a couple of more questions to ask him, but I wasn't about to stay any longer!     We walked out of his office.    I think he realized I was really ticked off.   As he turned to walk to his next patient, he patted me on the back and smiled.    I could not muster a smile in return.  

When I went to pay the receptionist for my appointment, she kept apologizing.  She is a very sweet person.    That was when she told me the doctor has started triple booking appointments.   She said she keeps yelling at him, telling him he can't be doing that, because it really upsets the patients.    I told her I will not wait longer than an hour, so if that should ever happen, I will get up and leave.     She just kept apologizing.     Then she said she would walk me out into the waiting area when I left.  I was unsure why she was doing that.    Then I realized why.    I had told her that I was afraid all of the other patients would think it was me holding things up.   I think she walked me out for 2 different reasons.     When I opened the door, I saw about 12 people sitting in the waiting area waiting to be seen!!!    Those poor souls were probably there for a few hours before they could go home!     The receptionist then said to me, "Yes, we had a couple of emergencies today; that's why we are so backed up."     I think she did that for her benefit as well as mine.    I'm sure she was expecting those 12 people to start griping about the situation.

So, my opinion of this doctor is not quite as high as it once was.      

At least I did get my script for the Nature-throid!   Very Happy 

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

A Little Disappointed With The Little Nutty Nephro  : ( - Page 2 Empty Re: A Little Disappointed With The Little Nutty Nephro : (

Post by Tigerlily Thu May 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Positive vibes from me too, Nelly and Edwin. Take it easy and look after yourselves and each other.

Love from Tigerlily xxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

A Little Disappointed With The Little Nutty Nephro  : ( - Page 2 Empty Re: A Little Disappointed With The Little Nutty Nephro : (

Post by Amanda Lynne Tue May 19, 2015 9:26 am

So sorry Edwin is feeling bad and you are exhausted Nelly.
Sending you both lots of love and my best wishes with lots of good vibes xxxx
Amanda
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2