Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monitoring option- thoughts most welcome

+4
Little Audrey
Kathi209
Lucycatnaps
lozza
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Monitoring option- thoughts most welcome - Page 2 Empty Monitoring option- thoughts most welcome

Post by lozza Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Dear all,
I am awaiting conformation from the hospital regarding what we are doing next, My GP is also actively involved and has been chasing this up. It look like the hospital want me to go back to GP for regular monitoring – I just wondered if anyone else is having to do this. I have been told it will likely be blood tests, every 6 months.

If anyone else is going through “monitoring” I would like to know what is tested , duration of test eg yearly, 6 months etc and whether this was your choice to monitor.

The only info I have is that my vit d is now normal at 88, PTH has gone high and was 15 in Jan 2013 and now 10.98 ( ref range 7.5 ish) by highest level last year was 11.7
Calcium I don’t have all results, but seem to be high end of normal at 2.49 ref range up to 2.50
Hospital said something about regular calcium bloods and when this got higher I would be returning to “their care” – I have said monitoring isn’t my choice and surely I am just putting off parathyroid surgery ? but my wishes are being totally ignored.

I am due to see GP next week, to finalise things, any info regarding “monitoring “ option would be usefull. I have asked for a dexa scan as I get a lot of bone pain, again I was told “ we will think about it “
 thoughts most welcome.
Best wishes

Lozza

lozza

Back to top Go down

Monitoring option- thoughts most welcome - Page 2 Empty Re: Monitoring option- thoughts most welcome

Post by Tigerlily Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:01 am

Hi Audrey

Yes, diabetes insipidus with a connection to pituitary disorders is different apparently from Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, and more to do with "water in and water out" or polydipsia/polyuria (and vasopressin).

I just made the connection when I recalled how much more urine output some forum members had than me in their 24 hr urine test. And a number of people have recently mentioned being very very thirsty and having to pee a lot, at night as well.

Nancy - I know what you mean - I used to be very tearful but recently my eyes are so dry and tears do not come as easily. How interesting. More research required!!

Lots of Love from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Monitoring option- thoughts most welcome - Page 2 Empty Re: Monitoring option- thoughts most welcome

Post by Little Audrey Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:57 am

Tigerlily, I actually never heard of diabetes insipidus until you mentioned it. That is very interesting! I'm happy you did mention it. It's always good to learn.

Yes, that is true, if your eyes are dry, you would be less likely to shed tears, I guess. I was thinking Nancy meant she just wasn't overly emotional. I can certainly understand the dry eye thing.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigitte0 Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:43 pm

I also thought Nancy meant she felt more emotionless than dry eyed because that's how I feel. Last week I was an emotional wreck and this week the emotion has left and it's a dull sort of acceptance which is quite weird and horrible. It's another part of losing who you are. Or should that be who you were?

Love
Brigitte x
Brigitte0
Brigitte0

Back to top Go down

Post by lozza Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi Guys,
 we i had an eventful week, Dudley mum cat got injured in some wire ( no idea where from, but we does wonder off) and needed an emergency operation, he is doing ok, just needed to go for lots of check ups at Vets.
I saw my GP on thursday and she is going to do monthly blood tests, this is for parathyroid, vit d, Calcium and also B12 .

She is certainly wanting to get to the bottom of it all and says a PTH of 15 needs carefully checking on. So i do feel i am in safe hands.
At the moment this is for the next 3 months, but might be longer.
She also thinks i am probably having a  lot of calcium in my urine.Rather than serum calcium. I am to make another appointment to see her after first set of bloods done, to discuss thing further.

I am happy not to have bloods done at hospital clinic and it is easier getting appointment at GP.I know i get too stressed going to the hospital.  I guess with a few more blood, done close together this will give a better picture of what is happening as opposed to the 6 monthly bloods at hospital.

best wishes

Lozza Very Happy  cat  cat  cat  cat ( and a few cats for Tigerlily )

lozza

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Thanks for the cats, Lozza! Here's a nice one for Dudley cat to wish him well.

Your GP sounds as though she's on the ball and it's a good idea to do a 24-hr urine calcium test to see if she is right about you excreting it.

Uncle Norman from the Tampa Clinic said to me that he likes a good run of blood tests so he can see "the climate" and not just "the weather", so she's doing the right thing there, and its much better for you to get the bloods done with her than at Addenbrookes. Their testing seems to be so inconsistent, as we have both experienced.

Keep an eye on that PTH though. Mine did come down from its recent peak of 12, but at 6.3 was still "inappropriately high" for the calcium level of 2.6.

Let us know how your first lot of bloods looks when they are done.

Love to Dudley from my cats Tiger  cat and Lily cat , and to you, from TL xxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucycatnaps Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:18 pm

Ohhh Lozza,
I am so sorry to hear about Dudley, but it sounds like he will make a full recovery after being in the wars and having his op. I am sure he will bounce back very quickly as cats are  so resilient.
It sounds like your GP is on your side and it will help to have monthly bloods to establish a pattern and hopefully help to finally make an accurate diagnosis.
Hugs Sue
Lucycatnaps
Lucycatnaps

Back to top Go down

Post by lozza Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:29 pm

Dear all,
 Dudley went back to vet today and now can go outside, he has been sitting in the garden this afternoon getting some sun, but must be indoors at night . I think he is just pleased to be outside for a bit.

Yes, getting regular bloods will help, especially as my levels go up, down like yoyo.

best wishes
Lozza

lozza

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:49 am

Hi Lozza

Yes, regular monitoring by someone who knows what they are doing will be invaluable.

I am just so pleased that Dudley is up and running again - well, in the sun and sitting, just for the moment!

Cats all round  cat  cat  cat  cat  cat  cat  cat !

Love to you both from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2