Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proton Pump Inhibitors

4 posters

Go down

Proton Pump Inhibitors Empty Proton Pump Inhibitors

Post by Tigerlily Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:01 am

http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/natural-health-articles/news-views/proton-pump-inhibitors-black-box-warning/

This is a link to some info about PPI's.

I don't have to use them myself but I know a lot of forum members have to rely on them.

I can't vouch in any way for the information but it makes rather uneasy reading and should perhaps prompt further personal research.

Love from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Proton Pump Inhibitors Empty Re: Proton Pump Inhibitors

Post by Amanda Lynne Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:36 am

Hi Tigerlily
I have known for a while that these drugs are fairly toxic but I unfortunately have no other choice until I have an op to correct the stomach valve.
I have delayed this whilst all the PTH crap has been going on as the tests they do to determine how much stomach acid you produce, would,I feel be inaccurate at the present due to PTH causing increased levels of stomach acid. 
Until I'm PTH disease free I also won't know if I still need to take the PPI's all the time.
So it's a vicious circle not b****y appreciated by anyone of my doctors.
Thanks for the article.
Love Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:40 am

Cheers, Amanda

It's all about being between the devil and the deep, isn't it? These PTH symptoms can be just so debilitating, but because you're still walking around and look as though you're functioning people think you're Ok and are not an urgent case.

What you and Jasmine have gone through has been so bad, I really feel for you, although I've no idea really because my pHPT symptoms seem to be more of the neuro-cognitive type (which is why I'm exploring the pituitary route).

I'm so glad you've got a plan for contacting FP though. At least if you get his take on your situation and he decides to do the genetic tests, he can be doing all the other relevant tests in the meantime, and you might have to fight for these to be done elsewhere.

I know what you mean about running with your current endo as far as you can. I felt I should do that too, but it ended up being 15 months between my GP first (very reluctantly) mooting pHPT to the Addenbrookes' endo and me finally getting just a cheap simple ultrasound. (And the endo at the local hospital dismissed the idea of primary HPT completely saying it was secondary HPT due to Vit D deficiency, and his colleagues in ultrasound wouldn't thank him for referring me to them to even look!!! Must get to the bottom of that sometime, doesn't seem right to me that the sonographer has the final say .....)

I hope you get some joy this week, Amanda - let us know how it goes,

Love Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi209 Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:40 am

Thanks for that info Tigerlily , I only took a 14 day treatment so I think I will stop while I'm ahead. My pcp said if it acts up try another 14 day worth, me thinks not.

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:40 am

Hi Kathi and Amanda

It was the possible side-effects of magnesium deficiency and fractures that I found most worrying, with osteopenia/-porosis in the picture as well.

My sister-in-law suffers from acid reflux (even though I don't) and I know the difficulties she has. I hope there are some alternatives soon.

Love Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Funny you should post this this morning, Tigerlily. I JUST came in from picking up the PPI again at the pharmacy!!! I started taking PPIs a couple of years ago when the acid reflux became unbearable, antacids didn't work, and a patch of irritation was revealed in my stomach during a scope. I NEVER had trouble with acid reflux until a few years ago. At first the antacids helped. When they stopped, and that place of irritation was revealed, I had no choice. Should I take PPIs of end up with esophageal or stomach cancer? I was really hoping after my parathyroid surgery, the acid reflux problem would resolve. It hasn't. I told my PA I didn't want to take PPIs any longer. She prescribed Pepcid to try again. It didn't work. So she wanted me to get back on the PPIs. I am praying that the acid reflux I'm dealing with now is due to the hypothyroidism, which I did read can damage valves, thus causing acid reflux. Hopefully, if we get the hypothyroidism under control, the acid reflux will finally resolve! I HATE taking medications of any type, and it is killing me to have to take this!!

I always have trouble with the PPIs because they cause sores to form inside of my lower lip. This alone tells me they are not good for me! If I stop taking them for a day or 2, the sores will clear up. Then after a while they reappear.

I do wish somebody had a better way to take care of acid reflux, but until someone invents something, I think I'm stuck!  Crying or Very sad 

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Bless you, Audrey.

Is it possible to tinker with the dose in any way to find the least amount you can take but still get some relief?

Love from Tigerlily xx cat  cat  cat

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:13 pm

Funny you should ask, Tigerlily.  Smile  Yes, my PA's nurse called this afternoon and suggested I cut the pills in half to see if that will work for me. That is what I will do tomorrow. As always, thanks for the suggestion. And thank you for the cats!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:40 am

So glad that you can do that, Audrey - and well done to your PA and her nurse for thinking of it, too!!

Keep us posted on progress.

Hearts this time  I love you  I love you  I love you  Love from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down