Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Endoscopic Transaxillary Parathyroidectomy - VERY interesting!!

5 posters

Go down

Endoscopic Transaxillary Parathyroidectomy - VERY interesting!! Empty Endoscopic Transaxillary Parathyroidectomy - VERY interesting!!

Post by Little Audrey Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:13 pm

I thought this was very cool. I don't know if I would have opted for this procedure but some might.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJYkrrzF9X4

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Endoscopic Transaxillary Parathyroidectomy - VERY interesting!! Empty Re: Endoscopic Transaxillary Parathyroidectomy - VERY interesting!!

Post by Hadleigh Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:17 pm

This is done at the uk clinic i posted a while ago, i don't fancy it myself.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Endoscopic Transaxillary Parathyroidectomy - VERY interesting!! Empty Re: Endoscopic Transaxillary Parathyroidectomy - VERY interesting!!

Post by Amanda Lynne Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:40 pm

Very interesting but it seems an awful lot of muscle and tissue is cut as opposed to the regular method.

Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:51 pm

True Amanda, and believe me it's a painful healing process when muscle is cut and sutured! Having said that, for someone in my position having had three neck surgeries now and with only one functioning recurrent laryngeal nerve, given the risks involved of a fourth surgery this could be an option for me, although I don't fancy it either. Nelly, do you still have the details of the UK clinic that does it in case I need to keep it as an option in reserve?  Thanks for posting Audrey. I did see it on Facebook but hadn't got round to looking at it.

Hope your big family reunion is going well Audrey and you're all having fun. It must be exhausting for you though especially with the heat. It will be so nice to have Dr Aud back on the forum dispensing her wisdom when the family festivities are done and dusted - we miss you in bucket loads Audrey!

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Jasmine
You are right it could be an alternative for you and although it would take longer to recover, if the result is a success it would be worth it.
I would if I needed to.
Love Axxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:04 pm

This is it Jasmine

Wessex Endocrine Centre 

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:19 am

Sorry I missed your post regarding this, Nelly.    I seem to miss a lot.

Yes, Jasmine, this might be a GREAT option for you!!     I didn't think of that.    That should give you much hope of finally being well again some day!    I know there are days when you don't believe that will ever happy, but it will, and this just might be the way!!

And, yes, the reunion was wonderful!    I saw some relatives I hadn't seen in years.   It was fun to share stories of growing up all those years ago, and it was great to see my uncles (my dad's brothers) who are no in their 80s and will most likely not be with us a whole lot longer.   So very sad.    They are all beautiful men!

You are right about the heat here.   It has been in the upper 80s with very high humidity, and it is still seems to manage to rain as some point every day!   It will be in the 90s today and much more rain is expected.   I thought it would be so nice to get a chance to use my pool and just relax today, but since they are calling for rain most of the day, I don't know it that will happen.    I have swum in the rain many times.   I might just do that again today.    I was really hoping to get a chance to relax on my raft in the sun, but that might not be an option.   Although, I have so much pain in my neck and upper arms when I do that, it's not really relaxing, I guess.

We also had a great time here at our place yesterday.   I invited my sister (who is from New Jersey) and her family, and my brother (who is from Tennessee) and his family, my children and their families, and my step dad up for swimming, food, and lots of laughs.    It was such a good time, but after preparing for this for weeks, I was (and still am) VERY exhausted!    It was well worth it, but I am really tired!

I am very happy to report that I took NOTHING for pain for the past several days.   I didn't really need it!   I still have pain, but it is not so bad that I felt I needed help.  

However, I did have a problem that has nothing to do with HPT.   At least, I don't think it does.     I did need something for pain for this, but was afraid it might make matters worse, so I didn't take it.    It seems I now have another UTI!    It has only been about 7 weeks since the last one.   I have had 2 infections in the past 3 months.    I had been taking D-mannose to try to prevent these things.   The bottle says to take 3 capsules daily for maintenance.   I tried taking 4 daily, and that didn't help, so I decided to take 6 or 7 daily.    I guess that didn't work either.   I am not sure why these things keep happening.   I do everything possible to prevent them!    I had my first 1 at the age of 48.   I never had any before that time.    I know it is not my hygiene that is causing the problem.   It is not that I don't drink enough water, as I drink 8-10 eight-oz. glasses a day.  During the summer months, I drink up to 14 glasses daily.   I have given up chocolate and coffee since they irritate bladders, and an irritated bladder is more prone to infection.   I don't eat many tomatoes because they irritate the bladder, and I LOVE tomatoes!     My urologist had suggested I take a daily antibiotic and use estrogen cream, but I am afraid to try either.   I now don't think I have any choice.   We just can't seem to find a way to prevent the infections!     I mentioned to my PA at my last appointment that the bacteria just HAS to be entering my bladder from some internal source, because I know it is not getting in there from the outside of my body!    She refuses to believe that is the case.    So I guess I will have to start the daily antibiotic very soon.   Not happy at all about this!    Anyway, when I get UTIs, I never get the burning sensation that most report.   My bladder just starts hurting terribly, my urine gets all cloudy, and it has a very distinct odor.  Although, it has been hurting to some degree just about every day for the past year.   I guess I must have interstitial cystitis.   Well, the day before the reunion it started to hurt. The day of the reunion it was hurting badly, but I kept increasing the D-mannose, hoping that would help.   It didn't.    So I was in misery the day of the reunion and most of the day of our picnic here at our home, until I finally gave in and started the antibiotic.   By that night, it felt great, and I could begin to enjoy my family, except for being extremely tired!   I'm still having a lot of trouble with that.   That is rough dealing with, but I'm getting through it.

My sister's son and his family left for home yesterday.   My sister and her husband are leaving today.    My brother and his wife are visiting with some friends today, so this will be the first day in a couple of weeks that I won't be going nonstop and forcing myself to keep working and moving.    It has been fun, but the little break will be nice too.    My brother's kids are coming in to town late tonight, and then they will all be taking a little trip to Niagara Falls.   They will be back to celebrate the 4th of July with us here, and then they too will all be leaving for home, and things will get back to normal.   It has been a lot of fun, but this body is totally wiped out!

Time to go feed my little furry friends and get the day going here.    I wanted to post something on here before I even got out of bed.    I have missed you all a bunch!!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:29 pm

Audrey
You sound like you have had a wonderful time with all your Family & Friends even if its been busy and you will need a rest afterwards.
Great that you have not felt the need for pain killers but not so great that you have recurrent UTI I can't offer any help on that problem as it is probably the one thing I've not had. I hope you can manage to get some relief, like you say if the infection is not getting in from an external source then something inside your body is causing it.
Have a wonderful 4th of July and then rest up and give your body a chance to recover.
Love Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:17 pm

Audrey have they checked you for bladder stones ? my Mum had constant infections and had to have the stones removed.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi209 Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi Audrey

Glad you had a great time with family it sure lifts the spirit. I had UTI recently my pcp put me on just a 7 day coarse of some type of sulfrer [sp] drug. A couple of years ago the urologist had me on cipro [ damn I can't spelling anything today ] for a long time I took one half pill a day for 6 months. But it did work for a couple of years no problems.

Take care Kathi

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:51 am

No, Nelly, I have never been checked specifically for stones, but I did have a cystoscopy 2-1/2 years ago when I first saw the urologist. I'm guessing any stones would have been spotted at that time? I do have a sonogram performed at every visit to check for urine retention. Wouldn't stones be visible on that?

Yes, Amanda, I did have a great time with my family! Actually, I still am having fun with my brother and his wife. The people they were planning on meeting up with today canceled on them, so we got to go out to dinner together tonight. It was a very enjoyable time. Since my siblings live so far away from me, when we have big family get-togethers or parties, I am usually the only cousin there with no siblings.  Sad  This weekend at the reunion, I had my siblings with me!! It was a great feeling. Thank you for the 4th of July good wishes. It should be another fun day for me, and this time I won't have to deal with UTI pain! We will all be getting together again here at our place to swim. This time I think we'll skip all the picnic prep and just order pizza or something. Then that night we will travel about 1/2 mile from here to our favorite, traditional spot, set up our chairs, do some tailgating, and watch the fireworks. I LOVE the 4th of July!

Sorry to hear you've had to deal with UTIs too, Kathi. They're not much fun! It is good to know I'm not alone, but it's sad that others also have to deal with this.

I have a prescription for Cipro here at home. When I get an infection, I can just start taking it. I've had so many of these things, they don't even test me anymore. I know when I have one! Problem is I'm getting them too often, and I can't be on Cipro every 5 or 6 weeks! I never heard of taking Cipro for maintenance. That is a very strong antibiotic. Usually, they use a low-dose, weaker antibiotic for maintenance, don't they? Although, as much trouble as I'm having with these things, the low-dose antibiotic just might not help me! She just might suggest I take the Cipro for maintenance too eventually.

Ok, I've got to get to bed here. I am so tired, it's going to take me months to recuperate!  Smile  Actually, I think until the doctors figure out what is wrong with me, I will continue to be totally wiped out, but some sleep can't hurt.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down