Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

thyroid function phpt and calcium levels

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

thyroid function phpt and calcium levels - Page 2 Empty thyroid function phpt and calcium levels

Post by rach260190 Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone, 
I am interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the role of calcitonin in phpt and thyroid issues. I have read that calcitonin produced by the thyroid lowers calcium levels. So would this be true for someone who has an underactive thyroid. The lack of hormone is causing not enough calcitonin to be produced.... thus resulting in higher blood calcium levels. Just trying to get my head a round a few things. Since starting thyroxine 6 weeks ago... Unfortunately feeling worse on it than before but besides that..... my calcium levels previously were 2.65 2.69 2.70 2.74 then I started taking thyroxine and 2 weeks after calcium was as 2.71 then 2 weeks ago calcium was 2.61.... this is making me doubt I have hyperparathyroid and maybe I was lacking calcitonin caused by my underactive thyroid.  But I don't think this would cause osteopenia, dehydration and frequent fir St and urination. I'm really confused and doubting myself ahain as usual! It could be co incidence that caloud levels have come down as I know they fluctuate the latest one of 2.61 is still elevated but closest to normal. 

Some days i just wish I knew what was causing whay and that I wasn't completely bonkers!!! 

Anyway I hope everyone is ticking along as well as possible today 
rachel xxx

rach260190

Back to top Go down

thyroid function phpt and calcium levels - Page 2 Empty Re: thyroid function phpt and calcium levels

Post by rach260190 Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:08 pm

I agree Nelly, he said like you said he didn't want to dive straight in. They are aware I don't feel well but want to be sure. I'm not sure if it was the scans or latest blood test. 
He was a nice man and very easy to talk to i was very nervous and welled up a few times.  He mentioned the fact that my.pth was never abnormally high sometimes 4.8 or 2.9 ect...... but my cal was always elevated.  He said my bone density scan suggests pth problems.  But I think he wants to be sure.  I do understand his thoughts but feel deflated as I don't want to be stuck like this. This cinacalcet costs quite a bit I think and you can't stay on it for ages. It was my endo and him thay suggested it. She knows how I feel I think this will be the pivotal point and prove if it makes me feel better. I had all.my bloods done again today. I have to wait 5 days for the pharmacy to get this cinacalcet in to start it but I will be closely monitored I think.  
Xxx

rach260190

Back to top Go down

thyroid function phpt and calcium levels - Page 2 Empty Re: thyroid function phpt and calcium levels

Post by rach260190 Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:39 pm

My recent bloods on Tuesday indicate my calcium going up again 2.64 not super high but going up.... so much for my thyroid problems causing calcium problems :/ hoping this cinacalcet will bring it down
rachel xx

rach260190

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Rachel hypothyroidism is listed as a cause of hypercalcemia which eventually resolves with thyroid replacement treatment. There is a case study on Pubmed but I can't do a link right now. How is your pth level ?

When do you start the cinacalcet ? Hope you do ok on it.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by rach260190 Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:01 pm

It's so confusing. .. i understand the struggle they are having with my case :/. My pth is always in the normal range but goes up and down.... 2.9 4.8 
did your have both high calcium and high Pth Nelly? 
Just wish it could be sorted and I know whay was causing what. .. i shall have to wait and see. I managed to get the cinacalcet yesterday and stared it today.  I don't have another endo appointment until end of November so hope it will be okay! I keep going back and forward to if it's my thyroid causing all of this or a mixture of the two I have no idea how they will ever know as cinacalcet will bring the calcium down.... and mask if the thyroxine is also brining it down.
xxx

rach260190

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:32 pm

My calcium and pth were always high, last test before surgery my calcium was 2.72 and pth 8.1

I think pth will fluctuate as it responds to the calcium level, so goes and down depending on calcium demand, only guessing at this Exclamation If thyroid is responsible for hypercalcemia then pth is low/normal according to what I have read.

Getting a diagnosis can take a long time but better to get it right than do the wrong thing and possibly go through an unnecessary op.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2