Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member!

4 posters

Go down

New member! Empty New member!

Post by Katie0609 Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:44 am

I first discovered parathyroid problems in September and was trying to get on the old forum for ages for help but i couldnt post, had surgery last month so its all over now but the forum still helped me! Smile
I'm 24 and had my surgery in the uk, they removed one adenoma but I'm still having tests to rule out men1.. Think its just because of my age. My 6 week post op bloods were calcium 2.53 and pth low at 1.0 has anyone ever had this? Don't know why my pth is low?
Katie
Katie0609
Katie0609

Back to top Go down

New member! Empty Re: New member!

Post by Hadleigh Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi Katie and welcome to the new forum.

I hope your surgery went well and you are on the way to getting better. Hopefully some of the more experienced members will be along soon to answer your questions but i wonder if your pth is low because the remaining glands are taking their time in waking up.
There is also a section on Dr Normans site about post op low pth which you may already have seen but if not might help you.

It is still early days so hopefully this is something that will right itself.

Look forward to chatting more.

Take care

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Katie0609 Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Just thought if my pth was low it would cause my calcium to be low, not at the higher end of normal like mine is? I have no symptoms i feel fine so I'm just gonna try forget about it 'cause like you said it is early days! Smile
Katie0609
Katie0609

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi Katie

Welcome! So glad that you've had your surgery and well on the road to recovery.  When the parathyroids are working normally your PTH will be low, and if your calcium spikes for some reason the PTH will drop very low to bring your calcium down, so it sounds to me like everything is working normally, but as Nelly says, have a read of Dr Norman's section on how the parathyroids work and that will explain it much better than me.

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:30 pm

Hi Katie,   It is so nice to be able to have you join up with us on this new forum!   So glad your surgery went well!!    As Jasmine stated above, when your calcium is high, your PTH should be low if your parathyroids are functioning normally.   I'm not a doctor, but I think your post-op levels sound great!    I know Dr. Norman says we adults don't live with our calcium in the 10s, but my post-op calcium levels so far have been 10.2, 10.0, and 10.2, and they tell me I have been cured.  So maybe some of us do live with calcium in the 10s as long as our PTHs are relatively low.  Your calcium converted to US numbers would be 10.1, which is very similar to mine.   My post-op PTH levels have been a bit higher than yours though.   Immediately after surgery my PTH was 28.0, with no calcium check.   When the first post-op calcium level was 10.2, my PTH was 26.8.   When the second post-op calcium level was 10.0, my PTH was 38.0.  When the third post-op calcium level was checked about a week ago, my calcium was 10.2 again, with a PTH of 31.7.   Your PTH of 1.0 would be about 9.4. in US numbers, I believe.   I think that sounds wonderful!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down