Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blood pressure bottoming out!

2 posters

Go down

Blood pressure bottoming out! Empty Blood pressure bottoming out!

Post by Little Audrey Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Well, I'm not sure what's going on, but I've had several diastolic readings in the 40s over the past several days.    I have always had blood pressure here at home around 100/60 or so.   A couple of months ago, my blood pressure was staying around 125/75 here at home.   I wasn't sure why it was rising that way.    I know that is still normal, so you would think all was well.    At my doctor's appointments, my pressure is usually around 165/90!    Yes, a true case of white coat syndrome.    Smile   My PA and internist have been wanting me on BP medication for a few years, but because it was always normal here at home, I convinced them I didn't need it.     Well, when I learned that hypertension can cause muscle cramps, and I have been suffering terribly with muscle cramps for 3-1/2 years now, I decided the next time my PA suggested the meds, I would accept.    At my last appointment she did suggest it.   So I started taking BP medication.   My blood pressure at home since has been averaging around 110/65.    Perfect!     That is until a few days ago.    When I sat down to check it today it was 85/45!!!    I rechecked it 10 times consecutively.   I always do that, and then I average the readings.   This is the 5th time that diastolic number was in the 40s.   Today it averaged 100/58. That is not especially low, so I'm not sure what my PA will want to do.   I called the office and told them what the problem was.   Usually, it takes a few hours for them to return a call.    This time the nurse called back in about 5 minutes.   I guess she was a bit concerned too.    She was going to discuss this with my PA and get back to me.   I am waiting for that call now.    I don't think I'm having any symptoms of hypotension.   I'm just VERY, VERY tired today.    As I told the nurse, that could be the hyperparathyroidism, the hypothyroidism, the low blood pressure, or the fact that I just don't sleep for more than 4 or 5 hours a night.    I'm thinking my PA will want to lower the dosage of my BP medication.    Geez, if it's not 1 thing, it's another!    No big deal though.  This problem is easily fixed!    flower 

Audrey

Last edited by Little Audrey on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Blood pressure bottoming out! Empty Re: Blood pressure bottoming out!

Post by Jasmine2 Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Audrey, I'm no expert but your BP seems too low to me and I'm thinking you need a medication review.  I get white coat syndrome too and even with medication my BP is sky high whenever I'm in a medical appointment situation, but within normal range when I take it at home, usually around 120/85, which is fine.  My GP wanted to increase and/or change my BP meds but when I told him that it's fine when I take it at home he arranged for me to have a 24 hour BP monitor which proved my point and he tailored my meds accordingly.  The last thing I wanted was to be on a higher dosage, or on a med that was going to destroy my kidney function, if it wasn't necessary!  I don't need help with that as the PHPT can do that just fine without help!!!!!!!  Perhaps you could suggest to your doctor that you have a 24 hour BP so she can ascertain the required level of medication instead of just basing it on what your BP is in her office?  It might need a bit of monitoring and tweaking over a period of weeks or months to get it right but might be worth the hassle.

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Thanks, Jasmine.   It looks like I need Edwin's help here!    I posted this on this here, and then I thought it would make more sense in a different place, so I reposted.   I thought I deleted this one, but it looks like I now have 2 posts!!    Please help, Edwin!    We can certainly delete 1 of these.

My PA did order a 24-hour BP monitor test, but I could not find any place who would do the test!   All of the hospitals around here told me that they no longer do that test.   One hospital told me that they probably don't do it anymore because most insurance companies won't cover it, so nobody was having it done.    I meant to ask my PA about that, but when she called today, I asked her about a few other things, and forgot to mention this.   I need to make an appointment with her before long anyway.  I'll ask her then.

She did call.  She said that my BP may have fallen this low due to the increased thyroid medication and/or the recent dietary changes I've made.   She wants me to stop my current medication and start on a very low dose of another medication.   She wants me to continue monitoring my pressure here at home.   I was thinking too, that I probably don't even need this medication!    If my pressure remains low, maybe she will take me off of the meds altogether.   That would be nice.

This woman is so wonderful!   She talked to me for about 15 or 20 minutes on the phone.   After we hung up, my husband commented on how strange that is that a doctor would talk to a patient for that length of time on the telephone.   He is right.  She is an extraordinary person!!    Just love this lady!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:04 pm

How strange that they don't do the 24 BP monitor.  My GP practice have one of the little gadgets they use and it was just a case of going in to see the nurse, having it attached to my arm and set to do a reading every half hour then I went home and continued with my day as normal, went back to the practice 24 hours later to return it and they just registered all the readings.  I don't think there would have been much of a cost involved, apart from the initial outlay to the practice to buy the monitor.  It's only like a blood pressure cuff with a monitor in it.  Mind you, that was a few years ago now so I'm assuming they still do it, can't see any reason why not, but I should think the monitors might be a bit more sophisticated these days perhaps.

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:03 am

I know my daughter-in-law's cardiologist does this test, because she had this done after her surgery last year, but I hate to make an appointment with this doctor, because I'm afraid she'll want me to keep coming back, and I don't feel there is any need for that because after the monitor was done my PA could handle the medication, and we could keep monitoring my pressure ourselves.    I guess I might HAVE to go see her now that nobody else will do the test.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down