Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Low calcium diet?

4 posters

Go down

Low calcium diet? Empty Low calcium diet?

Post by mel123 Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi, 

Does anyone with HPT follow a low calcium diet?

I was diagnosed with HPT in Jan and take a high dose of vitimin D.  I have cut out milk, yogurt, cheese and anything with obvious calcium but I crave diary products.  I see the Endo in June and will ask this question but what does everyone else do?

mel123

Back to top Go down

Low calcium diet? Empty Re: Low calcium diet?

Post by Hadleigh Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:25 pm

I was told that cutting out calcium wouldn't make any difference, i can't remember who said it.

I did try it for a while but soon gave up.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi209 Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:04 am

Hi Mel
        My endo told me you can never eat your way into high calcium levels, it just doesn't work that way. Now if you have problems with kidney stones you should ask your doctor about how much calcium enriched foods should you eat. Take care Kathi

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:58 am

Hi Mel, yes according to Dr Norman there is no need to eat a low calcium diet as dietary calcium has no affect on blood calcium, but I have heard that some people with HPT do actually feel much worse if they have eaten something high in calcium so it's out of choice as opposed to trying to keep calcium levels down.  So if you're craving dairy Mel, I would have some to satisfy the craving.  In the weeks leading up to my last surgery Dr Politz told me it was fine to have a slice of cheese pizza or drink a glass of milk (his words - I don't eat pizza but I do love cheese so I have it, in moderation).  As Kathi mentioned kidney stones, yes follow any dietary advice given by your doctor but it really depends what your stones are made of - calcium or oxalate - and adjust your diet accordingly, by reducing either your dietary intake of calcium or oxalate.

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down