Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long before your surgery date, do you have your pre-op assessment?

5 posters

Go down

How long before your surgery date, do you have your pre-op assessment? Empty How long before your surgery date, do you have your pre-op assessment?

Post by mealinacup1 Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:14 am

Hi everyone,

I am wondering when would my pre-op assessment be due if  my date of surgery is 15/12/2014?

Slightly worried because the appointment system (admin side) can be a little unreliable at Hammersmith and i would hate to miss it.

Any advice appreciated

Many thanks

Diana x

mealinacup1

Back to top Go down

How long before your surgery date, do you have your pre-op assessment? Empty Re: How long before your surgery date, do you have your pre-op assessment?

Post by Kathi209 Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:23 am

Hi Diana
Whooohoo on your surgery coming up soon. I wish I could  be of some help on the pre op assessment, sure would not want anything to delay your surgery. Now that I was no help at all, maybe you can help me lol.
On venous sampling did they sedate you? Endo said he thought they just did a local. How long did it take? I have about a 2 hour drive home is that doable? [ drum roll] can you keep your underwear on?lol I have no idea why I am  so shy now.      Thanks Diana xxx

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

How long before your surgery date, do you have your pre-op assessment? Empty Re: How long before your surgery date, do you have your pre-op assessment?

Post by Brigitte0 Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:40 am

Hi Diana 

Wow! All sorted before Christmas!! Smile 

Every pre op I've had is about a week before surgery and it was for my parathyroid surgery. I shouldn't think yours would be very different. You've got your goal now, how exciting! 

Love and hugs 

Brigitte xxxx
Brigitte0
Brigitte0

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:48 am

My pre op was about 5 months before surgery affraid

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by mealinacup1 Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi Kathi,

I had the venous sampling on the 16/4/2014 done at my local hospital i had no problems the procedure went well, the consultant radiologist who did the procedure was efficient and very caring.
Having the venous sample was a tad uncomfortable, but at the end of the day in my case it was needed because i have had all the scans (not an MRI) and they were all negative!
I think the PVS highlights the level of PTH in the veins and if the amount is twofold or raised in a certain part of the body it is a good indication of where the Parathyroid tumour is, in my case they said the chest.
Hammersmith confirmed the finding after 4D CT scan and a PTH 17.4 pmol/L and corrected calcium at 3.21 The imaging suggests a intrathoracic parathyroid gland near the thoracic inlet.
The procedure was done under local anaesthetic and the incision in the groin area meant no underwear, but that was handled very discreetly by the nurses, so my embarrassment was spared, obviously you have to wear a hospital gown and I can’t remember if I wore a bra but you were covered anyway by the gown.
The procedure lasted about an hour or so and the Consultant Radiologist monitored the screen in front of him, he informed me of what was happening at all times and was so lovely.
After the procedure they will apply pressure to your tiny incision in the groin area (mine was on my right side)  and then you will be monitored in a ward for a short while, blood pressure etc. then you are free to go home accompanied by a responsible adult (my daughter) and a friend picked us up. So I don’t think you can drive and you will have to arrange other means of getting home and have an appropriate adult with you.  
My appointment was 9 am and I came home with my daughter at about 1 pm, it would have been a little earlier but my blood pressure dropped, but after a cup of tea and a digestive biscuit i was fine.

I hope this reassures you and all the best.

Diana xx

mealinacup1

Back to top Go down

Post by mealinacup1 Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi Brigitte and Nelly,

Thank you for your time scales on the pre-op assessment.
Wow! Nelly 5 months that's a long time to wait for surgery.
I wish you both all the best in your recovery towards good health.

Take care

Diana  xx

mealinacup1

Back to top Go down

Post by mealinacup1 Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi everyone,

Just chased down my pr-op assessment via the telephone, its on the 5th of December Friday 1pm  cheers

I will receive both letters one for the the date, time, of surgery and another for the date, time of the pre-op assessment in the post, as i haven't had any written confirmation yet, just verbal and e-mail.

Best wishes to you all,

Take care

Diana xx

mealinacup1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Good move to chase up the paperwork, Diana - I agree that Hammersmith are a bit erratic with their admin.

Not long now!

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi209 Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:10 pm

Very glad you chased that down. Thanks so much for the info your a sweetheart. I love you Keep us updated.   Kathi

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down