Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre OP Assessment

+7
Amanda Lynne
Tigerlily
Little Audrey
Kathi209
bridggar
Hadleigh
MaryM
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pre OP Assessment Empty Pre OP Assessment

Post by MaryM Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:29 am

Hi everyone

I had my Pre Op Assessment yesterday.

It took nearly 2 hours.

I saw 2 different nurses for various tests, blood, height, weight, blood pressure, ECG and a long list of questions.

My blood pressure caused a problem as it was too high at 148/85.

I explained that I had been getting monitored all this year for slightly high blood pressure and that I had it checked at the doctors last Thursday and it was 140/80 and I was told that was normal.
I have been told at the doctors for the last three months that my blood pressure is normal.

The nurse at the hospital said that I would need to see my doctor and maybe get medication to lower my blood pressure as the Anesthetist may not want to go ahead with the Op while my blood pressure is so high.
The nurse had given me her phone number and I was to phone her after I had seen the doctor to let her know what the doctor was going to do.
She also said that she would speak to the Anesthetist and let me know what they say.
I left the hospital feeling weepy and fustrated.

I phoned my doctor's surgery and explained what had happened and I was told to come into the surgery at 3 o'clock yesterday.

My doctor was suprised when I explained what had happened as she did not think 148/85 was very high.
She took my blood pressure and it was now showing as 146/90, but again she thought this was okay.
My doctor explained that my blood pressure had been quite high at over 160 but for the last 3 months it has been stable at 140/80 and this range is fine for me and she said that there was no way she would give me blood pressure medication as it could cause other complications.

My doctor then went on to speak about this new problem I have with the tumor on the Adrenal glands and this problem can make you have really high blood pressure.
The results for the 24 hr urine collection was back and it was negative so it does not look like there is anything to worry about with this.

My doctor then phoned the hospital to speak to the nurse and explained about my blood pressure readings and the results of urine collection and when she came off the phone she said that the nurse will still speak to the Anethetist and forward on what had been said over the phone.

I asked the doctor if she thinks the OP will go ahead and she said she does not see why not.

So now I am hoping that the OP goes ahead as planned next Thursday as I have waited so long to get this.

On the other hand if I cannot get it due to it being too risky then I will just have to accept it but I will be so dissapointed.

Thanks for listening

Mary x

MaryM

Back to top Go down

Pre OP Assessment Empty Re: Pre OP Assessment

Post by Hadleigh Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:57 am

Hi Mary

I am going through exactly the same right now. I don't know if your read my post about my pre op appt but my BP was too high for them so I had to see my GP for meds.

Saw her on Weds and she wouldn't do anything without her own readings so I had a 24 hour monitor fitted which I took back yesterday, all the readings from that came back low. I'm waiting to hear back from her but I obviously don't need meds, the problem is that the hospital may not do the op if my BP is high on the day (which it will be) so GP said it may mean taking meds just to get the op done which is stupid.

I had a 24 hour monitor from my Cardiac Con in Nov last year and the average came back at 147/81 which is considered too high, he wanted me to start Ramipril but my GP agreed to wait and see what happened with the hpth stuff, it now seems my BP has come down a lot but will see what the average comes out at this time.

Going on my experience I think you may well have a problem with your BP being that high as it is in the pre high blood pressure range but if the anaesthetist is happy then you might get away with it. It would be worth asking your GP for a 24 hour monitor to see what your average is as one off readings now and again are pretty useless.

Keep me posted as to how you get on.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryM Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Nelly

Sorry i thought I had read all the posts but I must have missed your one.
Its so fustrating for us.
I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us.
I know the hospital are only doing whats best for us and don't want to take any risks but we just want this done so that we can feel better.
Its a wait and see game now.
I just hope they don't wait until I am in the hospital on Thursday to send me out again.

Mary x

MaryM

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Pre op insisted BP was sorted before surgery or they wouldn't go ahead, problem is with "white coat hypertension " it's going to be high on the day anyway so that added worry is going to make it even higher !!

I'm just hoping my average reading will convince them  Rolling Eyes 

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by bridggar Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:32 pm

FWIW - mine was around 140/80 but sometimes upto 160/90 (as it was on the day of the Op) I explained that I understood high BP could be a symptom of this condition and I didn't want to start any medication for BP due to insurance implications - they seemed OK with this.
And in case you're wondering - 4 months post op it's made no difference to my BP!!!

bridggar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi209 Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi Mary.

Wishing you all the best for next Thursday. I am starting to get some higher numbers on my BP also. I seen my pcp the other day and it was 142/ 94. Mine is usually 120/80, I told my doc that my dentist has mentioned my B.P being high at 158/90 but it will go back down to a reasonable number. My pcp didn't want me on meds for it either, he said it wasn't that bad. If your BP is high on surgery day they can lower it if they feel it might be a problem.

To bad bridggar your BP didn't go down post surgery, I have heard sometime it will.
Good luck Mary.

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:04 am

Don't fret about the blood pressure, Mary. My pressure is always high at my appointments. One time I had to see a doctor I really did not like AT ALL. My pressure at that appointment was 205/110!!!! I'm surprised my head didn't blow off!!! Normally at my appointments it is around 170/90. At home it is usually around 100 to 110 over 60 or 65. Yep, true white coat syndrome!!

I would also like to add that I had two 24-hour urine calcium tests before my surgery to remove 2 parathyroid tumors. Both tests were normal. You don't need elevated urine calcium to have HPT! I wish doctors would wise up and learn this!! It sure would have saved me a lot of suffering! It would save a lot of people from suffering!!!

I am 7 months post-op now, and my surgery had no effect on my BP either.

Sorry you were so upset about your appointment. I now the feeling well. There is nothing as nice as a good, positive appointment. They just don't occur nearly often enough, do they? I hope you are feeling better about it all now. Hang in there!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryM Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:15 am

Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

I have not heard anything back from the hospital so I am hoping that the OP goes ahead on Thursday, but at the same time I am dreading it.
I am always at the hospital for checkups but this is different so no wonder my BP is high.
I am trying hard to keep calm as I know I need this done.
I have never had a OP before and the only time I have been in hospital is when I had my 2 children.

Mary x

MaryM

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:34 am

I'm sure it will all go just fine, Mary.

I know it's not easy, but when the day of the exam/consult/operation comes I just try to keep up a positive expectation about it all and lay it in the lap of the gods, whoever they are. 

And you know that we'll be cheering you on from the sidelines!

Love from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:44 am

Hi Mary
If you haven't heard anything I would guess that it's all ok for Thursday.
No operations are ok but the parathyroid op I had was so straightforward no problems at all (except him not checking all 4 hence I'm back again)
There was no pain at all, I never even needed a paracetamol and I was home at 8pm op was at 4.30pm.
I'm sure you will be fine, I'm thinking of you and sending hugs.
Love Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:10 am

So you didn't have to stay overnight Amanda, I would much prefer to get home same day but no chance as they insist on at least one night in.

Are you in overnight Mary ?

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:42 am

Hi Nelly
No I was out the same night because he only checked one gland, I would have been happy to stay if he'd checked all 4 then I wouldn't be in the mess I'm in now. Smile 
Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryM Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:50 am

Hi everyone

Thanks again for the replies.

You have helped me so much with all the lovely replies.
Its great to be able to speak to people who have or are going through the same things as me.
I have been told that I need to stay in overnight, the nurse last week even went on to say that although they say overnight that I should pack enough for a couple of days just in case.
The nurse said the overnight stay is to monitor you in case there is any bleeding and that they check all the glands if needed.

Mary x

MaryM

Back to top Go down

Post by bridggar Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:20 am

I'm sure it's been posted many times and no matter how often you read it, you may not be convinced - but the Op was a breeze. It was my first op too in Feb this year and I also had to stay overnight. Post op symptoms were a bit of a sore throat but was able to eat 5 hours afterwards. I was a bit concerned about looking after the wound - they glued it closed with internal disolvable stitches so it looked a bit odd for a couple of weeks but now it's not too noticable.
In my case, they checked PTH & Calcium 6 hours post op and both were back to normal. Both were still normal four weeks ago (when I had my last bloods).

It took a few weeks for histology to confirm the adenoma was benign but the surgeon said he'd only ever seen one cancerous instance in the last 20 years of performing the op. (he told me that casually when I'd asked about histology results!)

One thing I would mention - the Dr Norman site gave me the impression that I'd feel 100% better post op which wasn't the case. My bone pain is easing but I still get "foggy" moments and actualy now take Vitabiotics Osteocase suppliments to control numbness I often feel (which I didn't pre-op).

bridggar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:03 am

My surgeon said not to expect to be cured of all symptoms after the op, he said at best i can hope for a lower calcium and if anything else resolves it's a bonus. So we will have to see what occurs  Rolling Eyes 

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by lozza Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi Mary,
 I just want to wish you all the best for thursday, i will be thinking of you. I have never had an operation as understand how you feel. My Gran went into hospital for an operation and she meet the  Anesthetist who went through everything, Gran has high blood pressure and also pernicious anaemia ( b12 ) i think they are used to people having high blood pressure- they just need to know about it.

I thought the reason why we were going into hospital is because we needed to be "fixed" if we all had perfect health, we wouldn't need their help.

On thursday you will meet the team who are looking after you. 

lots of hugs and best wishes Very Happy 

Lozza

lozza

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigitte0 Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi Mary

I also think that no news is good news and that your op must be going ahead. It's easy to say "Don't worry", but you are going there to get better, so try and look beyond the op and forwards to getting your health back and really enjoying the summer Smile I'm sure you'll be able to ask questions of the anaesthetist if you think you have any worries over your blood pressure, but I'm also sure he or she will reassure you.

All the best for Thursday and you know we'll all be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing from you in the coming weeks.

Take care and sending lots of hugs.

Love
Brigitte x
Brigitte0
Brigitte0

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi Mary

Yes, good luck for Thursday, we'll all be thinking of you and looking forward to your first post op post telling us how it all went.
Sending love and hugs through cyberspace and some cyber flowers too  flower flower  flower 

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:22 pm

Yes, we'll be cheering you on, Mary, and sending you cyber cats  cat  cat  cat  cat  and hugs.

Love from Tigerlily xx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Good luck for Thursday Mary, I will be thinking of you and sending lots of love your way. I love you 
Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucycatnaps Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:27 pm

Hi Mary,
Just wanted to add my good wishes too for Thursday, you will be soon be tripping the light fantastic and feeling well again!  Sending warm positive thoughts and hugs,
Sue x
Lucycatnaps
Lucycatnaps

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi Mary,

I just want to say good luck for Thursday and that i will be thinking of you, you have come this far and i know its scary, but at least you are moving forward towards good health.

Take care
Diana x

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Good luck for tomorrow Mary  Smile 

Nelly and Edwin
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:32 pm

Good luck for tomorrow Mary, I'm thinking if you.
Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi209 Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:57 pm

Best wishes , We will be in the cyber waiting room tomorrow with the coffee brewing. Let us know when you can how you are doing.

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next