Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My brother in laws labs came

3 posters

Go down

My brother in laws labs came Empty My brother in laws labs came

Post by Kathi209 Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:35 am

It doesn't just scream hyper P. Calcium 10.5 pth 27, He may have a long road ahead. He had a lung infection about 2 months ago. Makes me think maybe sarcoidois. His doc did not run vit d, so that makes me think he is not up on phpt. I read in sarc's where vit d is elevated. I told him he needs another set of labs that includes vit D. Any input is always welcomed. ThanksĀ  Kathi

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

My brother in laws labs came Empty Re: My brother in laws labs came

Post by Tigerlily Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:11 am

Hi Kathi - Ca looks high in its range, but PTH looks OK. I think Audrey had these in this relationship just after her op, so it's not looking like hyperparathyroidism at the moment.

Yes, another (and more) sets of labs to include Vit D and phosphates (usually low in HPT) would be good.

I think in sarcoidosis it is the 1,25 (OH) type of Vit D that is elevated. Not an easy thing to get tested over here. When I was researching sarcoidosis I did eventually manage to get the 1,25 (OH) Vit test and mine was not elevated, which seemed to rule out sarcoid.

Good luck with the research on this - keep us posted on developments.

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:09 pm

Hmmmm.........yes, this looks like a tough case. Tigerlily is right in saying that my calcium remained in the 10s post-op with low PTHs. My first was 10.2 with a PTH of 26.8. Next was calcium of 10.0, PTH 38.0. Then calcium 10.0, PTH 31.7. Then calcium 9.9 PTH 42; calcium of 10.0, PTH 22; and calcium of 9.7, PTH 39.

Although, a calcium of 10.5 is high, it doesn't appear to be a parathyroid problem with a PTH as low as his is. I guess he will need his levels repeatedly tested in order to diagnose this. It's a real shame that this disease can't be diagnosed with just one blood draw. It's sad that we all have to struggle for so long before we can be diagnosed. Please wish your brother-in-law good luck for me.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi209 Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:01 pm

Thanks Tigerlily and Audrey. He does have some phpt symptoms like fatigue and foot pain, I have hip pain but I know some had foot pain. He is 70 so could be age related. I just hope his gp will follow through and find the cause of the elevated calcium. Love to you both Kathi

PS I will mention the 1.25 oh on vit d I told him about the 25oh, good looking out T.

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Cheers, Kathi - good luck with this - my feeling is possibly early sarcoidosis, but I hope not!

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down