Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest Lab Results

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Latest Lab Results - Page 3 Empty Latest Lab Results

Post by Little Audrey Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok, here we go.

My latest lab results revealed a calcium level of 9.4, but this was a panel calcium and not a calcium tested with PTH, so I can't be too sure if it is good or not. Normal panel calcium range is 8.3-10.1, but when I had 2 tumors in my neck, I also had a panel calcium level as low as 9.4 once, so until the calcium is checked with the PTH, I can't be too sure if all is well, but I do think it is judging from my symptoms.

B/C ratio was a little high, but it always is, and, as a matter of fact, it is usually quite a bit higher, so I'm good with this.

Potassium went up a bit, which is good because it was low the last 2 previous times it was tested.

Magnesium stayed the same, which is still low/normal, but this was without taking any extra supplements. I've just been taking a multivitamin.

My white cell count rose a bit, which was good because it was low last time.

All red cell test levels rose a bit too, which is also good because they too were VERY low/normal last time. I am wondering it the multivitamin had something to do with these results.

Renin (kidney enzyme) level which has been abnormally low for me for at least 7 months, came up just slightly. I was thrilled. My nephro was not to impressed. I figure as long as it keeps rising, that can't be a bad thing.

Aldosterone (adrenal hormone) stayed at 2. I need to get it up to 4 to be considered normal. It was <1 when first tested, so I'm happy with this too. I'm hoping as the renin rises, so will the aldosterone, since renin triggers aldosterone production.

This was the first time I ever had my reverse T3 tested. I was very anxious to see this result. It was very normal at 13. Normal range is 8-25. One less thing to worry about now! My nephro was very happy with all of my thyroid results, even though my TSH is now in the dirt at <0.06. He is one of the few doctors who is happy when the free T3 and free T4 look good. He isn't too concerned with the TSH. My kind of guy!!

These tests were ordered by my neprho. This time he did not test my free T3 or free T4. I forgot to mention to him at my appointment on Tuesday that we NEED those 2 tests to diagnose thyroid issues. He tested T4 and T3 uptake. The T4 was low/normal, and the T3 uptake was mid-range. He was happy with both. I would have been happier had I seen the free T3 and free T4.

My urine specific gravity was a little low. The nephro tells me that is from my edema. I was hoping this would be a little higher this time, since my edema is looking so much better.

Everything else looked good, except for my RDW (red cell distribution width). This was elevated. This reveals the difference in size of red blood cells. The MCV (mean corpuscular volume) was tested also. It was normal. From what I have found regarding these results, it points toward some type of anemia. I have read different things, so I'm not sure exactly what to believe. One site says that elevated RDW with low MCV indicates either iron or B12 deficiencies. One site says only B12 deficiency. If both are elevated, it points more toward liver disease. I read that when the RDW is elevated, and the MCV is normal, like mine is, it indicates a possible anemia brewing! Since twitching and tingling are both symptoms of B12 deficiency (and I have many symptoms), I thought maybe I need more vitamin B12. The nephro didn't think so. I will discuss this further when I start a thread regarding my Tuesday appointment with him. I actually wondered if this might be the cause for my tingling, but, then again, what about my cats? Do they both have B12 deficiencies?!

So there you have it. Some levels are improving. Others are going whacky. All in all, I think it was a good report. Onward I go!!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Latest Lab Results - Page 3 Empty Re: Latest Lab Results

Post by Little Audrey Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:37 pm

Edwin and Tigerlily, thank you both for your input.  Much appreciated!

As far as the B12 goes, when tested in February, my level was found to be 658.  Normal is 180-914.  So I am well within range.    I also requested my neprho test my methylmalonic acid and my homocysteine levels, which would help to further diagnose a B12 problem.   My methylmalonic acid was 178.  Normal is 87-318.    My homocysteine level was 9.8.  Normal is <10.4.   So I think we can rule out a B12 deficiency.    Like I said, this was my first guess when trying to diagnose myself.  It would have made perfect sense, but as we all know my body NEVER makes any sense!  Laughing

Edwin, I am interested to know now to convert UK hemoglobin levels to US levels.    I did find out how to convert Canadian levels to US levels, but that's of know help, obviously.   Unless, of course, they use the same measurements in the UK.   Do you happen to know how they measure it there.   We use gm/dl here.   I am VERY happy to hear your ferritin level is good, and it sounds like your hemoglobin is increasing by leaps and bounds!   That's wonderful!!  

My free T3 was 2.7 when checked last in November.  Normal is 2.3-4.2.   I guess it could be a bit higher, but my TSH was <0.06 at that time.   I know the doctors won't want that to get any lower, so I doubt if they will want to increase my thyroid meds.    I had my RT3 checked also just to double check that things are in order with the thyroid.   That level was 13.  Normal is 8-25.   So my RT3 is certainly not high.  

Oh, I wish this could be a little simpler!!   All that is left that I can think of that might be causing these symptoms would be the iron, and since my levels are indication an iron problem, I sure hope I have FINALLY figured this out!

I just called the place where I had my MRI on Monday.   The tech told me that my doctor would have a copy of the report in 2 days.    I had asked that they also send me a copy.   I figured if the doctor was to have a copy in 2 days, I would also.   Unless, of course, they faxed the report to the doctor, and that is very likely.   However, that was 4 days ago, and I only live a few miles from the facility, so it shouldn't take longer than a day or 2 for me to receive it once it's in the mail.    When I called today, the girl told me it was mailed.   She reminded me that it takes 2 days for the report to come out.   I reminded her that it has been over 4 days since I was there.   She said in a very smart tone, "Well, it was mailed!"    I said ok, thanked her, and said goodbye.   She didn't say anything.  She just hung up.    There was no excuse for that.   Guess she's having a bad day.  

I went out and drained our little pond this afternoon.    All I can say is, it's a darned good thing I am a good swimmer!   I am so dizzy now, I tipped over about half a dozen times while working out there.   One of these times, I am going to be swimming with the fish!   affraid    The dizziness has gotten worse and worse.  It is really bad now.   Another symptom of low iron.     Can't wait to see that hematologist in 6 days!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Our Hb is measured in g/dL (grams per decilitre). I think that this is also used in the USA?

Your T3 looks low and I do not see much point in worrying about TSH. Free T3 and free T4 are far more meaningful.
All that TSH does is instruct the thyroid to increase or decrease its output as part of a closed loop feedback, but once there is a thyroid problem, the feedback loop is effectively broken and the TSH becomes almost irrelevant.

Edwin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hadleigh Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:28 pm

Audrey have you looked at vestibular hypofunction ? Could explain the dizzies, it seems to fit in with my balance probs.

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:13 pm

I think I must have misunderstood you, Edwin. If our measurements are the same here in the US, I guess it must be your ferritin that is at 89 and not your hemoglobin? Since my hemoglobin is 13.4, yours would be mighty high at 89!!

Yes, my T3 would look better a little higher, but I really don't know of any doctor here who would raise my meds higher with that low TSH. I understand what you are saying about the TSH being useless. I agree 100%. I just don't know of any doctor who will raise my meds higher with a level of <0.06. If anybody would do it, it would be my little, nutty nephro. I can run it by him, and see what he thinks.

This should work out well. I have that appointment with the hematologist next week. If he does think I have an iron problem, and he starts treatment for that. That will give me a few weeks to see what symptoms resolve from that treatment before I will see my nephro again. If I do start taking iron, and none of the symptoms resolve, I will know there is more to this than just an iron deficiency, and I will really be pushing to increase that T3. I probably should regardless.

No, Nelly, I've actually never heard of vestibular hypofunction. I will check that out now. Thanks!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:20 pm

Aha!

Depending on where my bloods are done, my Hb is either 8.9 or 89.

Apparently, there has been a change in the scale in the UK, but it has not been adopted everywhere yet.

Looks like you are on our 'old' scale. If so, yours looks pretty good.

Edwin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Oh, ok, Edwin, that makes sense now. Smile

Yes, my hemoglobin looks decent at 13.4. It was 12.3 in July, so it has risen some. However, I think it has risen for a couple of reasons. I was taking iron tablets for one thing, and I think my body is taking the iron from my iron storage (ferritin). That is probably why my ferritin is only 11 now. This is another reason I think I have an iron problem. If the body takes iron from its iron storage when its iron level is low, this makes perfect sense.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:02 pm

MRI results arrived here yesterday. I am just now getting the chance to post them.

They were pretty much what I expected. There is more than one osteophyte (spur) within the discs of C3 through C7. There is desiccation present among those same discs associated with small posterior disc osteophyte complexes. There is some degeneration of these discs noted. There is normal signal intensity throughout, so I am not sure if the surgeon would want to do anything for me. I would think with all of the nonstop spinal, neck, shoulder, and back pain I've been experiencing for the past several years should help him make a decision, but I really don't know. I am praying so, because this pain is hell! At this point, I am not sure if the tingling and twitching is related to the spinal issues or the iron problem. I'll just keep chugging along to different appointments, seeing different doctors, and hope eventually I will feel better!

There was something a bit surprising on the report. It states that there is some slightly enlarged pituitary fossa possibly due to empty sella. It states to consider a pituitary MRI to better evaluate. I've briefly researched this. From what I can determine, this happens when the pituitary gland has been flattened or damaged. I found that sometimes it can be flattened when the cerebrospinal fluid leaks out and into the pituitary fossa, putting pressure on the pituitary gland, causing there to be more fluid in the fossa than would normally be present. It looks like this is quite common, so I'm not concerned at this point. I guess this means I'm waterlogged, but I already knew that! Laughing I will discuss it with my doctors.

So my next step is to see the hematologist on Thursday. Hopefully, he will diagnose the iron deficiency and help me with that to see which symptoms will resolve when my levels are normalized again. Then I'll deal with whichever symptoms are left. Little by little, I hope to be well again some day!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:53 am

Yup - keep on chugging, Audrey. That seems like a good plan to me. See the Hematologist and see what symptoms are left when your iron is sorted out.

The bone spurs will be causing some of your symptoms, I should think, as my sister-in-law has these and she is in great discomfort most of the time.

Then deal with the pituitary thing. You have to lie still again for the pit MRI, but that should then be able to rule out an further pituitary hormone problems. Have you had them tested recently, by the way, to see if they are being under or overproduced? I think they measure ACTH, prolactin, growth hormone and IGF-1 over here.

Let us know how it goes on Thursday - I'm just leaving here now to see the endo geneticist to try and get MEN1 ruled out of the picture - chug, chug, chug !

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:43 pm

Yes, Tigerlily, I agree about the bone spur pain. I am pretty certain that is what is causing most, if not all, of my spinal pain. I have been reading up on them, and it is pretty interesting. I learned that these spurs are formed by out spines when there is degeneration of the vertebrae. The body forms the spurs to try to help stabilized the spine. Isn't that neat? Not so neat, though, when they hurt!! Sad The human body simply amazes me!

I am hoping if I do have to get the pituitary MRI, I will be able to have it performed in an upright position, as I did the spinal MRI. I am hoping I can still have the very open MRI for this as well. That was actually fun! I never thought I would say an MRI was fun.

Yes, I did have all of those tests done for my pituitary. As a matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken, it was within the past year. My memory is so awful, I can't be sure, but I think they were done pretty recently. I had asked my PA to order the tests when I was wondering about an adrenal problem. I wanted to make sure it was not the pituitary causing my endocrine issues. Everything was normal. So, I guess even if my pituitary is flattened, it is still working.

This might sound far fetched, but does anybody know if total-body edema could cause too much fluid in the pituitary fossa? More research needed. Smile

I do hope your appointment went well today. It will be nice to get MEN1 ruled out. Everything we can rule out brings us one step closer to finding the answers and to our final goal of wellness! Looking forward to hearing how it all went today.

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3