Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Referral to another hospital

2 posters

Go down

Referral to another hospital Empty Referral to another hospital

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Hello everyone
Just a few questions, firstly i have been referred by my local Consultant to Hammersmith Hospital because i may well have a Parathyroid lesion in my chest 
(intrathoracially) so when the referral is done Consultant to Consultant will the first consultation at Hammersmith Hospital be quicker or will that make no difference at all?
Does anyone know how long it takes for the first Consultation appointment to arrive on the NHS and if you are referred to a different hospital will that Consultant want to redo all the tests himself or carry on from the tests from the last hospital?
I am a bit of a worry wart at the moment, I’m not usually like this, but today i have an awful headache and the brain fog is terrible.   

I hope you are all having a good day.

Diana x

Back to top Go down

Referral to another hospital Empty Re: Referral to another hospital

Post by Hadleigh Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Consultant to Consultant referrals don't usually happen as the referral has to come from the GP, so the first Con will ask the GP to refer to the second Con. This is what happened for me and I believe that is the new ruling.

Appt times depend on the hospital and waiting list, 18 weeks is the target but not always possible. The new Con may well want his own test results as they like to use the lab assay they are used to and different hospitals may use different assays.

Hope that helps

Nelly
Hadleigh
Hadleigh

Back to top Go down

Referral to another hospital Empty Referral to another hospital

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi Nelly,
 Thank you for your reply, the reason i asked about Consultant to Consultant referral was that in a letter i recieved yesturday from my previous hospital it stated that " Our Consultant Surgeon has kindly agreed to arrange the referral and i would here from them shortly" i was hoping this was medical jargon for the process was speeding up, but who knows.
I will just have to have some patience!

Thanks once again.

Diana

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigitte0 Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi Diana

I have been referred consultant to consultant at different hospitals and it was managed hospital to hospital and the GP wasn't a go-between. I was passed from Southampton to Bristol, so it wasn't that there was a connection in any way, though this was a couple of years ago now. Maybe Nellie is right and it is a new ruling or maybe different hospital trusts work in different ways. I suppose that you will just have to wait and see what happens next, like a patient patient! Good luck with that! 

Love
Brigitte x
Brigitte0
Brigitte0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi Brigitte,

Ok i will try and be a patient patient!!  Smile 

Love

Diana

Back to top Go down