Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hyperparathyroid Forum
By logging-in to this Forum, you are agreeing to the Hyperparathyroid Forum Terms and conditions of Use https://hyperparathyroid.forumotion.co.uk/f5-hyperparathyroid-forum-terms-and-conditions-of-use
Hyperparathyroid Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Received historical blood tests from hospital.

+3
Brigitte0
Tigerlily
Amanda Lynne
7 posters

Go down

Received historical blood tests from hospital. Empty Received historical blood tests from hospital.

Post by Amanda Lynne Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi All
Ok now I've got the blood tests through, there's a lot connected to my low ferritin levels so I will pass by those for now.
The only thing that I can see for calcium (which is ultimately what I requested these for) is 5/6/2007 I had a test called.
Reflex calcium, now I don't know if this is the old test for calcium or if it's different, the range is very similar 2.15-2.6 and the result is flagged up as abnormal and it is 2.00 and this is low !!!!!!!!!
Does anyone have any idea if I'm right.
Any help gratefully received.
I need to look at all other results more carefully.
Amanda xxxx

Last edited by Amanda Lynne on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Missed something)
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Received historical blood tests from hospital. Empty Re: Received historical blood tests from hospital.

Post by Tigerlily Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:07 pm

Hi Amanda - glad the results are available to you now, but what on earth is reflex calcium?
I've not come across that ever in my HPT and Vitamin D research.

Perhaps you could call the person who ordered the test, or perhaps the lab themselves, to find out what it is.

I'd certainly be interested to know!

Love from Tigerlily xxxx

PS I wonder if it could be what we know as ionised calcium? That has a similar but different range to the usual serum calcium.

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Received historical blood tests from hospital. Empty Re: Received historical blood tests from hospital.

Post by Brigitte0 Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:39 pm

Hi Amanda 

I'm pleased you've got all the test results through and hope it all helps. I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea about reflex calcium but good luck in your search for finding out! 

Love and hugs 
Brigitte xx
Brigitte0
Brigitte0

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:39 pm

Hi Tigerlily
Can't see who ordered it, I'll try lab next week. What ever it is it's low xxx
Love Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:40 pm

Thanks Brigitte.
I shall investigate.
Love Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi All I have found reference on Dr Google to:
Calcium ionised reflex status, I presume this is the reflex calcium test on my records.
If so this test was 2007 and is below the range for normal levels. Will this help in my quest to prove I don't have FHH ? 
Who knows but I sure as hell will be sending copies to Endo.
Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathi209 Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:05 am

Boy you have us all googleing. I have never seen reflex calcium. I think it has to do with the lab coding but not sure. I know in the USA they always do ionized calcium lab test were in the UK I think  the term is call corrected calcium. It was a blood test and not a urine cal test right? Not sure if any lower calcium test will help. But that was 7 years ago. What was your last 24 hour test levels. I wish I could help you in some way. I know I send you cats cat  cat  cat  cat  that always works for Tigerlily. 
                                                                                     Take care Kathi

Kathi209

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerlily Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:17 pm

HI Amanda and Kathi - yes, cats  cat  I love you  cat  I love you  with everything!!

It sounds like just a random test if it was so long ago, but I'd be interested to know what it is when you find out. It could just have been one of those times when whatever type of calcium it is was a low reading. Like Dr Norman says, these things go up and down as an adenoma makes sure that PTH and Ca are secreted rather erratically.

Have a good weekend, both - Love and Cats from Tigerlily - Tiger  cat  and Lily  cat  (both taking up a deckchair each in the garden at the moment!!)

Tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:30 am

Hmmmm...........interesting. I've never heard of reflex calcium either. More research needed here.  Smile 

Amanda, I'm glad you have all of your lab results now. That's always good to have. I have all of mine from 2006 on. it is so nice to be able to go back and compare things.

When you first said reflux calcium, I thought maybe that meant throwing up some milk or ice cream or something!  lol! 

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:56 am

Hi All
The test was done when I went to A & E with chest pains and breathlessness. It was found that my ferritin level was 4 and I was anaemic. After researching it deffo looks like this was the equivalent of ionised calcium test.
If so a low calcium reading in my past would surely make FHH questionable as the whole thing pivots on the fact that I would have to have had high calcium all my life. This isn't even normal calcium it's low.
It's a bit tenuous I know but I desperately don't want to have FHH.
Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigitte0 Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:39 am

Definitely worth a mention,  Amanda, since you're fighting your case against FHH Smile Any (dis)connection should be valid, surely! 

Love 
Brigitte xx
Brigitte0
Brigitte0

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine2 Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:58 am

I really must set about doing this for myself as it would definitely be a good weapon to have in my armoury should I need it. Can you remind me again how you went about it, Amanda? I'm finding it hard to sort things out in my head at the moment and need a lot of clues and pointers to make any sense of things these days. I've still got all my latest test results to try and interpret when I get home, couldn't get my brain to make head or tail of them before we left. The first few days of my hols I felt fairly good and thought this is going well but in the last two days the nausea and fatigue/exhaustion has crept back in again, along with the pain in my hands and arms, and legs feeling like lead. I'm certain it's the mega doses of sunshine = +++ Vit D = ++++++ Calcium..... Having to return to our hotel room in the afternoons to lay down and sleep in the cool. Thank goodness for air conditioning ......

Jasmine x
Jasmine2
Jasmine2

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Audrey Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:06 pm

Sometimes it is VERY difficult to decipher those blood results, Jasmine! I will sit and look at mine over and over again and then hit the internet for help if needed.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling up to par for your trip. I was hoping you could get through that feeling as good as possible. Darn it! You so deserved a fun time away from it all! I too can't seem to handle the heat now. I used to LOVE spending time in the sun. I sure don't anymore. It makes me feel sick and nauseous. Yes, thank goodness for the air conditioning! Take it easy and enjoy that cool air when you need to. It would be so very nice if we could all just be well again and be able to fully enjoy life. We will be soon!!!

Amanda, those old lab results can be very helpful in diagnosing you. So glad you now have your hands on them! Good luck!

Audrey

Little Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Jasmine I typed the name of my hospital into google and asked how do I get access to my medical records and they gave me address of the Medico Legal dept and said if I wrote to them with all details they would contact me. They did within 2 wks and advised they could send it all for £10. I then phoned up and paid and was sent them the next day by registered post, great service.
I'm sorry you are struggling with the heat while you are away. That's the reason I've delayed going on hols. After 2 days of sun I'm wrecked and good for nothing but my kids are off doing their own thing so I don't have to go during summer hols, which is the hottest time in most places.
Hope you get to enjoy the rest of your holiday even if you have to have naps in the cool, it's been scorching here, thought I was going to melt yesterday.
Audrey it is good to have them for now and for the future.
Love Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by NancyMi Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Amanda,  
   When are you going for your appointment?   The level of calcium, although I am not sure what test that is, sure does not seem to support a diagnosis of Familial Hypocalcuric Hyperparathyroid.

I remember when you had to have the iron infusions.  Do you know how your level is now?  I hope that is better for now.   

xxx,  Nancy

NancyMi

Back to top Go down

Post by NancyMi Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Jasmine, 
    Isn't it the pits that we have to avoid the sun in a way in order not to get overdosed.  I hate that you are feeling bad.  I am just glad FP has a systematic plan for you.   Do you take any tylenol or anything to try to take the edge off?  I was taking 1/2 tab in the morning and evening and sometimes a small dose of a pain pill.  I don't like using pills but I couldn't find any other way to get by.  

Thinking of you Jasmine.

xoxo,  Nancy

NancyMi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Lynne Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Hi Nancy
My appt with Endo is 11/9/14 !!!! I'm hoping to hear before that what the result of the pituitary test was also I have more bloods to do sometime this week, when I manage to fit it in.
However I doubt my FHH result will be back before I see Endo !! It's such a pain.
Ferritin level is ok for the moment so no iron infusion yippie. I'll get it checked in about 3-4 months to see if it's dropped again.
How are you feeling and what is the situation re PTH problems ?
Love Amanda xxxx
Amanda Lynne
Amanda Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down